• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trey Lance - best QB of this draft not named Lawrence

NAS

Just now, NAS said:

Well his tape ain’t bad either

What little there is of it.  I wouldn't want my job riding on picking one of these guys to succeed.  I just don't see what others see in these guys beyond Trevor.  Even he has an uphill battle where he's going.

• Pie 4

29 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

“But when you talk to the folks at North Dakota State, this kid is incredibly intelligent. He can direct fronts, he can do all the stuff at the line of scrimmage you need to do. He's a fantastic athlete and runner [and] he’s got a power arm.” 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/2021-nfl-draft-trey-lance-ready-compete-starting-role-rookie

This is why I am glad we had the head coach and GM there.  Rhule values the cerebral players--players who can adapt to multiple positions, players that do not make mental mistakes.  At the SR Bowl, he praised Jones for his processing.  So if they leave NDSU with these questions answered, he could be the player we move up to grab.  I wish he had more experience.  The same people saying (about Jones) "Yeah, but he had a great team around him." should be saying that with Lance as well.  I do not buy into that nonsense because if you have that great team and you perform at a high level, what were you supposed to do?

The thing I like about Lance is this: He has the speed and running ability, but rarely do his feet move before he has made the decision not to throw.  That (to me) reflects decisiveness--the QB has a clock, when the routes are not open, he snaps into run mode and the pass is not going to happen.  With other running qbs, they tend to read while on the run, often throwing just before they cross the LOS.  That creates problems for the WRs, OL, etc.   Timing is off, linemen not knowing if they should block down field, and the throw is often less than accurate because the feet are not firmly planted to throw--usually all arm.  Mahommes can do this, but I am not sure I want a 1 year, 20 year old kid from SDSU making those freelance (no pun) decisions in the NFL--at least not early on.

• Pie 4

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

What little there is of it.  I wouldn't want my job riding on picking one of these guys to succeed.  I just don't see what others see in these guys beyond Trevor.  Even he has an uphill battle where he's going.

They all have red flags and question marks--including Trevor, but to a lesser degree.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Bostonheelfish said:

He was pretty bad with throws to his right at his pro day. First round picks can’t have that problem; especially when he’s had an entire year to learn how to throw not left.

Interesting point.  Chris Weinke could not throw across his body (to his left) and the NFL learned that very quickly.  I think he beat Minnesota for the opener and proceeded to lose 15 straight.

• Beer 1

Just now, MHS831 said:

They all have red flags and question marks--including Trevor, but to a lesser degree.

Yes they do.  Too many think this is a slam dunk picking any of the supposed top 4 but I suggest buyer beware.  Going into the NFL is a whole different level than these guys are use to, even for Lawrence and Jones.  

1 hour ago, NAS said:

That’s where attitude and work ethic comes into play. I believe that physical tools are God given and everything else can be learned with good coaching, hard work and determination 

Unfortunately that's not the case. There's been countless athletic QBs who could throw the ball to the moon (from their knees) who never learned to read an NFL defence - despite being the first guy in the building and the last one out every week.

It's a tool - much like guys are born with a million dollar arm, guys are born with the ability to quickly process what's going on in front of them and make the right decision.

You can develop that skill, much like you can improve your arm strength, but there's limits to how much you can improve it.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

Yes they do.  Too many think this is a slam dunk picking any of the supposed top 4 but I suggest buyer beware.  Going into the NFL is a whole different level than these guys are use to, even for Lawrence and Jones.  

We have many more options than people on the Huddle are willing to consider.  They focus on one guy, then defend that guy come hell or high water, because they want to be right.  But the more you dig, the more likely you are to find buried bodies.   Personally, I am interested in QBs who are being trashed because they were in horrible systems--no OL, no WRs, etc.  No QB can look good with that.  People agree with that statement until I mention names--then they become Captain Hindsight and start saying, "He sucks."  My point:  "Well duh-have you seen his OL? WRs?  Coach?  So instead of forcing the issue by trading up for the fourth best gamble at QB and losing draft capital and players, I am not against a 1-year contract for a player who might prosper in a system where the OL is solid, WRs are on point, and the coach understands his strengths.  Personally, I want to see who signs Trubiski.  I want to see where Mariota and Darnold go.  I think one or more will find a system to be reborn. 

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, Bostonheelfish said:

He was pretty bad with throws to his right at his pro day. First round picks can’t have that problem; especially when he’s had an entire year to learn how to throw not left.

I didn't watch his pro day, but he was noticeably worse in his one start last year. His footwork regressed massively. That's a huge worry.

To me, Lance is a second round pick that you take and stash for a year or so. Let your QB Coach fix his footwork and hope he picks up NFL speed / concepts in practice. 

1 hour ago, Pup McBarky said:

No one is going to dispute the guy has incredible physical tools. The key questions are: can he develop into a consistent thrower? Can he read complex NFL defenses and process options? He's never had to do either, but he'll have to do both if he's to be successful in the NFL.

That's my only hitch on this guy. He has everything except the tape against top tier defenses. He's young, though, so learning it isn't out of the question. He also seems to be a student of the game and motivated to improve beyond just his physical gifts.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's not the guy I want at #8 for QB, but if we get him, I'll be darned happy with the choice. His upside is incredible, even if he may not be ready for prime time right out of the gate. 

• Pie 1