• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Injury News

Harbingers

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/petr-mrazek-nearing-return-after-conditioning-start-with-wolves/c-323196888

"CHICAGO - The circumstances were serendipitous.

Petr Mrazek had not played a competitive hockey game in more than eight weeks. The Carolina Hurricanes were in Chicago for a two-game set against the Blackhawks. The Chicago Wolves, the Canes' American Hockey League affiliate, were playing a Thursday afternoon game just up the road.

It was the perfect set-up for Mrazek to make a conditioning start and feel out his surgically repaired right thumb in a game before returning to the crease for the Canes.

So, Mrazek and forward Max McCormick packed their bags to depart the team hotel in Chicago on Thursday morning. While still observing all league travel protocols, Assistant General Manager Darren Yorke played the role of hockey dad and drove his "sons" Petr and Max an hour northwest to the Triphahn Community Center & Ice Arena, the Wolves' practice facility where they are playing home games without fans this season."

Must have been an awkward car ride.

""So far, so good. We'll see how it is tomorrow," Mrazek said on Thursday night. "This was a good step going forward. Hopefully it will be good, and I'll be ready to go soon."

On Friday, Mrazek was back on PNC Arena ice taking shots once again, and a return to the crease for the Canes seems to be closer than ever.

"Petr hasn't really said, 'Hey, I'm 100 percent ready to play,' so we'll wait and see. I think he is," head coach Rod Brind'Amour said in his Zoom availability on Friday. "I think that will be day-to-day. We'll monitor it as we go.""

I get the feeling Mrazek is being overly cautious from Rods comments lately. Which don’t get me wrong I totally get. Especially when you basically had your thumb ripped off. But it sounds like it’s more a mental thing/pain management for Mrazek at this point, than a medical clearance thing. Considering he did play a game. 

I figure it’s probably best to play him tonight if he’s good to go and once against Florida and then rest him vs. Detroit and then go from there. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 2

Not hurricanes related on face value but could affect league playoff seeding. Sounds like they may just be trying to get him a rest.

https://www.nhl.com/news/philipp-grubauer-placed-in-nhl-covid-19-protocol/c-323651648

"Philipp Grubauer will be out at least two weeks after the goalie was placed in the NHL COVID-19 protocol on Wednesday.

Grubauer did not play in a 4-3 win against the St. Louis Blues. Devan Dubnyk made 31 saves in his Colorado debut after he was acquired in a trade with the San Jose Sharks on Saturday.

"It'll be at least 14 days before his next game," Colorado coach Jared Bednar said of Grubauer. "Not ideal, but I know he'll be hungry to get back in the net when he's healthy."

Grubauer would miss at least seven additional games if he is out through April 28. Colorado has 13 games remaining.

Grubauer is 25-8-1 with a 2.00 goals-against average, .920 save percentage and five shutouts in 34 games (33 starts) this season. He was tied for the most wins in the NHL with Andrei Vasilevskiy of the Tampa Bay Lightning and tied for most shutouts with Marc-Andre Fleury of the Vegas Golden Knights."

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Martinooks injury is being heard to be a minor MCL sprain 7-10 days....

Which would put him back maybe against Chicago or Nashville and then the question comes is it even worth it at that point to play him or just let him rest until the post. We need to win 8/10 remaining to control our destiny as of today. Lot could change though. The Skjei front who knows we probably need him back as soon as possible though Ryan did play really well in his limited minutes on the ice. We do have bean but Slavin and Pesce are going to need a rest if tonight’s game is anything like Thursday’s. 

Either way I hope we still can let Martinook in the locker room/tunnel as our hype man. Dunno how that works though. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1