• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's Draft General thread 2021

Verge

1 hour ago, Verge said:

What's funny to me about Mac Jones is that last year people ripped Justin Herbert apart for having so many plays that were just dinks dunks and screens, where as that is about 80% of Mac Jones' game....

He is very frustrating to watch on film due to how wide open his receivers constantly are, how much protection he gets, how the talent around him consistently gets chunk plays off of his constant screens and dump offs. Every now and then you see a NFL throw from him, his deep ball placement is quite good at times, but it is so sketchy and hard to find....

Oh my we're absolutely watching different games! 

At the end of the day, Rhule and Fitterer spent a week with him in Mobile. If we don't Draft him it's because they weren't impressed enough.

I disagree wholeheartedly with this analysis though. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

30 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Where did you rate Tua for the 2020 draft? Try not to factor in this past season at all, you pre-draft feels/rating. 

A girl I doubt who is big time into all sports asked me what about Tua last year (for the Panthers)

I was slightly higher on him than Jones. But I told her he has bust all over him. His upside is very low end starter.

She asked why. I said no cannon.  All his recievers are wide ass open.

There's Alabama open and NFL open and the two aren't even in the same solar system. 

Tua is a good guy. I just think guys without am arm are outliers. 

Could he prove me wrong? Sure but I think I have more equity in that bet.

Just now, OldhamA said:

At the end of the day, Rhule and Fitterer spent a week with him in Mobile. If we don't Draft him it's because they weren't impressed enough.

Her assessment was exactly what I said.

He's Teddy just less athletic. 

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

How can you disagree about his receivers being wide open and his protection being outstanding?

Whether or not his receivers are open is irrelevant.  

An accurate pass is an accurate pass, doesn't matter if if the CB is 1 foot away or 2 yards away.  That is why you don't box score scout.

Does he face less pressure than most QBs playing for Alabama?  Of course, but I'm sure there is some tape of him facing pressure.  Any good scout has the resources to filter out certain plays.

Here again this is why you scout by watching film and not the box score or you use advance metrics that can tell you how he actually does under pressure, or how many throws are accurate and just not complete.

A player not having to do something isn't the same as a player not being able to do something.  Herbert showed that last year with his ability to throw deep which was something he didn't show in college.

Throwing to open receivers isn't' a negative by itself, it doesn't prove that he can't make tight window throws, it just limits the amount of tape of him doing so.

Personally I haven't watched him enough to know, but hopefully our scouts have.

37 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Whether or not his receivers are open is irrelevant.  

An accurate pass is an accurate pass, doesn't matter if if the CB is 1 foot away or 2 yards away.  That is why you don't box score scout.

Does he face less pressure than most QBs playing for Alabama?  Of course, but I'm sure there is some tape of him facing pressure.  Any good scout has the resources to filter out certain plays.

Here again this is why you scout by watching film and not the box score or you use advance metrics that can tell you how he actually does under pressure, or how many throws are accurate and just not complete.

A player not having to do something isn't the same as a player not being able to do something.  Herbert showed that last year with his ability to throw deep which was something he didn't show in college.

Throwing to open receivers isn't' a negative by itself, it doesn't prove that he can't make tight window throws, it just limits the amount of tape of him doing so.

Personally I haven't watched him enough to know, but hopefully our scouts have.

I don't disagree with you, but there is a difference in how the read is processed and how the ball gets there. A NFL throw is a NFL throw 100/100 times without a doubt.

• Flames 1

41 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

A girl I doubt who is big time into all sports asked me what about Tua last year (for the Panthers)

I was slightly higher on him than Jones. But I told her he has bust all over him. His upside is very low end starter.

She asked why. I said no cannon.  All his recievers are wide ass open.

There's Alabama open and NFL open and the two aren't even in the same solar system. 

Tua is a good guy. I just think guys without am arm are outliers. 

Could he prove me wrong? Sure but I think I have more equity in that bet.

Girls don’t understand foolsball....

adam sandler fight GIF