• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign OT Cam Erving - 2 years, 10 million, 8 fully guaranteed

Varking

3 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

FA is more of a crap shoot than the draft year in and year out the huge contracts big names get are celebrated and praised and within two seasons they get axed.

It's a popularity contest man.  All we care about is whether some no name sports writers approve of what we do!  Don't you get it?

J/k

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, CAPantherFan said:

How about PFF?

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-nfl-free-agency-live-deal-grader-grading-tracking-every-free-agent-signing

CAROLINA PANTHERS

G Pat Elflein: Three years, $13.5 million ($6 million guaranteed)

Grade: Poor

Things started out well enough for Elflein as a rookie with the Minnesota Vikings back in 2017, but it’s been downhill since then. The former Ohio State Buckeye has been a revolving door in pass protection, failing to clear a 50.0 pass-blocking grade in any of the past three seasons. He is one of just three guards in the league allowing a pressure rate above 8.0% on at least 500 pass-blocking snaps since 2018. It’s difficult to project a major turnaround in 2021. 

The Vikings were comfortable waiving Elflein during the 2020 season despite their guards combining for the worst pass-blocking grade in the NFL — a dreadful 37.2 mark across the roster. Carolina apparently values his ability to play multiple positions on the interior, but it’s fair to wonder if Minnesota kept moving him around just to see if he could play anywhere, not because he was solid at several spots.

Carolina is probably still working on a long-term deal for right tackle Taylor Moton and is set to lose left tackle Russell Okung to free agency, making this deal even more of a head-scratcher.

T Cam Erving: Two years, $10 million ($8 million guaranteed)

Grade: Below Average

The Panthers needed to add depth to their offensive line given the uncertainty throughout the unit heading into this offseason. Erving certainly provides plenty of experience both as a starter and as a reserve, with over 3,000 career offensive snaps to his name since being drafted in the first round back in 2015.

The problem is that Erving's experience has never come in the form of quality play. A 2020 season in which he started just five games for the Dallas Cowboys before going down with injury represented the best year of his career from a grading standpoint (58.0 overall grade). It was the first time in his NFL career with a PFF grade above 50.0, but it still would have ranked just 36th among qualifying left tackles had he played enough snaps to qualify. Even as a swing tackle, he’s not someone who Carolina should have much confidence in stepping into a starting role should an injury pop up.

With Russell Okung set to hit free agency, it makes sense that the Panthers would want to solidify the tackle position, but they shouldn’t have much faith in Erving providing more than mid-level depth. The signing in a vacuum is fine, but with a handful of superior tackles recently released — Eric Fisher and Riley Reiff among them — you have to wonder if it would have been wise for Carolina to let the market play out a bit before working out a deal with a player who would most likely still be available in the second or even third wave of free agency.

PFF is better but based on what they are guarenteed its low risk... Based on more recent play Irving has some potential I'm not thrilled Elflein but he is better than Chris Scott and has far more potential. The end there is what makes me disregard their article Fisher is coming off a season ending injury Reiff has always been over rated, they are older big names who will be overpaid horribly.

3 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Oh I know, It just amazes me how many fans buy into it and become completely irrational.

I've been here a long time so nothing amazes me anymore with this fan base.  I've never seen so many expert talent evaluators in one place in all my live.

1 hour ago, beo said:

The contracts aren't necessarily bad but I don't see why you'd target depth offensive linemen on the first day of negotiations since you could end up getting them at a cheaper price if you just waited a little longer. They definitely seem to be going for versatility among the offensive line though, which is good to see. 

I think with the shrinking of the cap, Oline like this become more sought after in the FA market.  Every team is looking for affordable Oline depth and this fits the bill. 

6 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I've been here a long time so nothing amazes me anymore with this fan base.  I've never seen so many expert talent evaluators in one place in all my live.

Oh I've been here 17 years its only gotten worse. None of them realize they have no control over the situation it's all just opinion relax and see how it plays out.

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Shocking the guy that can't go 5 minutes without talking poo about a Hurney move, some from a decade ago, is acting like he has some heady insight.

Reality: Jon Snow and a lot of people's opinion on this forum is based only off of who they 'like' and appeals to authority. They don't have opinions because that requires actual thinking.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 5

7 minutes ago, SmartyHurney4 said:

Shocking the guy that can't go 5 minutes without talking poo about a Hurney move, some from a decade ago, is acting like he has some heady insight.

Reality: Jon Snow and a lot of people's opinion on this forum is based only off of who they 'like' and appeals to authority. They don't have opinions because that requires actual thinking.

Who the hell are you?  Obviously you are new here.

• Flames 1

30 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I looked at the list and Reiff and Thuney were on there and there are 160 starting OL so these guys are being paid like above average starters. Not depth or backup or rotation flexible guys. 56 is 1.5 starters out of 5, so again above average money.

Contract breakdown look at raw data not flashy smoke and mirrors! Don't forget Taysom Hill is making 35M a year 🤣🤣🤣

27 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Who the hell are you?  Obviously you are new here.

Dude built an online persona around two people associated with the Panthers.

Neither of them is actually here anymore, but he continues within the same persona.

Hilarious 😆

They seriously need to get a girlfriend, or a boyfriend, or a life, or...something.

• Pie 1