• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers cut DT Zach Kerr

TheSpecialJuan

3 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Based on today's agreed to contracts (keep in mind they are NOT signed yet) there cap hits for 2021 are 3.5m combined...n allowing 10m for draft picks still leaves around 17 million in 2021 space available.

and so so many holes that wont be fixed by one draft.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

and so so many holes that wont be fixed by one draft.

Attempting to figure out what the Panthers are doing is useless.

It is odd imo with so many other teams realizing the cap can be spent like a congressional budget aka worry about it tomorrow.

They are holding 17.5-18m free right now, I am curious if its to hold out the Texans or if they have other plans.

Clearly I'm in the minority, but I don't see what is so bad about this move.

Unexpected, sure, but it probably shouldn't have been.  He only played what, like 29% of the snaps last year?  He's just not a good fit on the team with Brown and Roy, who will probably be getting even more snaps next year given the year of experience under their belt.  If you play Kerr you're either taking Brown off the field (in most cases) or you are running with 2 guys who are both best suited to play the nose/1-tech.  

Rhule clearly loves versatility.  I'm sure he'd rather replace Kerr on the roster with someone who can more consistently push the pocket (not that Kerr didn't at times last year, but he's also about to be 31).

Ultimately this isn't that big of a deal.  A replaceable player who was released because his role o the team was redundant.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

11 hours ago, thennek said:

Cutting Kerr and not signing Obada...kind of makes you wonder. Both seemed to be good rotation guys at a pretty low cost. 

Sadly, I think that it is the rotational part of it. I think that the new regime wants rotational guys to be young ones -- rookies or second year players. Cheaper, more development, maybe find a star.

I loved having both Kerr and Obada in Panthers uniforms and I think both contributed majorly last season, I hate to see either or both go. But, let's be honest, our defense got trampled to death in the majority of our games last season. There was/is going to be a hog killin' on the defensive side this year, particularly among non-starters. Just hate to see it happen to two fan favorites like that.

• Pie 1