• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bills sign Mitch T.....

Jmac

3 minutes ago, Toomers said:

No doubt. Too soon to go this route. And if it’s as a backup, pick a team that doesn’t have a 4th year QB entering his prime. Take less and audition behind Big Ben or Fitz or anyone not a long term starter already. 

Yeah, just doesn't make sense unless the Bills did something that doesn't make sense and gave him a top backup contract. If I was a young former starting QB trying to resurrect my career, Buffalo would be one of the last places on my mind.

6 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

2.5 mill... wow

No one wanted this dude

He would have been better off playing for vet minimum for the 49ers, Steelers, probably WFT. If I were in his position, I would pay Shanahan or Payton, just for the coaching. Or Tampa behind TB? If you’re going to play for that much, at least try to advance your career in some other way. 

I kinda think he signed for 2.5 million to show how incompetent the Bears were for signing Dalton for 10 million. Trubisky gets a reset year and hits the market next year and possibly goes with their offensive coordinator who’s rumored to be a top coaching candidate next year.

Edited by Bostonheelfish

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Really surprised he signed a pure backup deal this early in the process. I would've waited to see if someone's draft plans didn't workout or even for an injury in camp or preseason to open up an opportunity to compete for a starting role. In Buffalo, he's obviously purely a backup.

it's not as shocking when you think about the fact that so many teams are probably tied up in the Watson drama and other teams are leveraging their offers against that. he probably got a final notice on the availability of this deal before they started to look elsewhere. he's not a super hot commodity and doesn't have the clout of being a former MVP to bolster his status as a starter like cam. plus, some guys just want a quiet year to rehab injuries and get right mentally before they attack their next opportunity. I think mitch knows that the next run of starts he gets could be his last. 

2 hours ago, Toomers said:

He would have been better off playing for vet minimum for the 49ers, Steelers, probably WFT. If I were in his position, I would pay Shanahan or Payton, just for the coaching. Or Tampa behind TB? If you’re going to play for that much, at least try to advance your career in some other way. 

Yea who is advising this dude? Look if no one whats you, just wait, some team will need a starting QB. It happens every year, he could rebuild his career after Nagy almost ruined him...... and get in line for a 2nd coming and big pay day. Now behind a young MVP Allen, he will not get any snaps/reps barring a Allen injury. Terrible move and its soooo early in FA, day two!

17 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Yea who is advising this dude? Look if no one whats you, just wait, some team will need a starting QB. It happens every year, he could rebuild his career after Nagy almost ruined him...... and get in line for a 2nd coming and big pay day. Now behind a young MVP Allen, he will not get any snaps/reps barring a Allen injury. Terrible move and its soooo early in FA, day two!

if you're trying to stay in the NFL as a strategy and you're a borderline player who is holding on, it can't be all bad to go hold a clipboard for a season and cash some checks and repeat the process the next season. We have to think about real life here. The end all goal for quarterbacks is not to just get on the field. It's to stay employed. When you flunk out after playing starter reps, maybe taking a year to get right and then hitting the market again with new teams in the mix next offseason. 

And if it does happen that you're pushed into action, you've got a really solid cast around you in Buffalo that can help make that transition easier and maybe propel you into a team believing you're starter material again from a short burst of starts. 

Edited by Vagrant
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1