• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Go on record. Who still wants Watson?

Sasquatch

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Once you start throwing out terms like sexual predator, sex offender, etc. it looks pretty grim.

You can't trade for that guy. I'm not even sure you can keep that guy if you've already got him.

Steelers kept their guy.  Bucs did too. 

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

Steelers kept their guy. 

After two allegations that either didn't even make it to court we're going to settled quickly and quietly.

You really want to try and make a case something like that is going to happen here?

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

After two allegations that either didn't even make it to court we're going to settled quickly and quietly.

you really want to try and make a case something like that is going to happen here?

Sports is a weird and fugged up thing. 

Whether you are Big Ben scenario, a Leonard Little scenario or go to other sports like with Kobe.  Whatever.  Sports seems to consistently overlook all sorts of things it shouldn't.....and then everyone forgets.   Mike Tyson is back to being a cult hero of sorts as another. 

Who knows.  There clearly is something messed up with Watson going on.  No way all these women are scammers at this stage.

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

Steelers kept their guy.  Bucs did too. 

Ten years ago was an eternity ago. If you pay attention to any of this type of stuff the way we handled sexual misconduct allegations was way different. Post Harvey-Weinstein is an entirely different world. The alleged Big Ben stuff should have been taken far more serious. Having said that Big Ben has two accusers. Watson is over twenty. It is much harder to explain away one or two allegations vs twenty alleging similar behavior from Watson.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Sports is a weird and fugged up thing. 

Whether you are Big Ben scenario, a Leonard Little scenario or go to other sports like with Kobe.  Whatever.  Sports seems to consistently overlook all sorts of things it shouldn't.....and then everyone forgets.   Mike Tyson is back to being a cult hero of sorts as another. 

Who knows.  There clearly is something messed up with Watson going on.  No way all these women are scammers at this stage.

None of the situations you cited have multiple accusers, and certainly not two dozen of them.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

None of the situations you cited have multiple accusers, and certainly not two dozen of them.

I wasn't really trying to draw a direct comparison.....just pointing out with multiple different examples how the NFL and sports in general is pretty gross about not caring and punishing athletes like it should.    

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

I wasn't really trying to draw a direct comparison.....just pointing out with multiple different examples how the NFL and sports in general is pretty gross about not caring and punishing athletes like it should.    

Do you have any examples from the post Weinstein / #metoo era?

As with many employers there is no due process in the NFL. The harsh truth is that this all comes down to optics and from an outside perspective this is a bigger mess than Roethlisberger or Kobe, who got the benefit of doubt in a lot of coverage due to the questions around consent in their cases. We’re looking at a possible serial offender here. This can’t be swept under the rug as a one off incident or a drunken mistake. 

22 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Do you have any examples from the post Weinstein / #metoo era?

#metoo era doesn’t seem to care if an offense was committed in present day or the past though does it? 

We will see.  Maybe you have faith in the NFL and major sports actually doing what is right despite essentially never doing the most bare bones possible.   

I certainly wouldn’t object to it.   Sports has a sad culture of almost aiding in a lot of really horrible things.  Would be nice if that gets broken.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

"Closure" here doesn't necessarily mean he pays off the accusers and everything goes away.

One pretty universal part of each of the lawsuits has been the demand for an admission of guilt. Maybe some of the women will back off from that but I wouldn't put money on all of them doing it. And if Watson doesn't want to, is a settlement possible?

Supposing he does admit it though? That basically amounts to an admission of being a serial sexual predator. And does that then raise the possibility of him having to register as a sex offender? If so, how does that affect his status?

Bottom Line: This is a mess, and I wouldn't put any money whatsoever on it being resolved easily or simply.

No it's not simple, but if he's indeed guilty I hope they get it in some way. Regardless I think his NFL career is probably done. 

58 minutes ago, MGH1989 said:

I’m gonna just say this thread is a textbook lesson on why many victims don’t come forward about sexual abuse/misconduct/rape, etc. 

Exactly if you were a dude and got snatched up and raped by another dude I seriously doubt most people would say anything. 

Kobe couldn't escape and still can't escape his trial and even in death it is still very prevalent. So why is it in all these morality takes the discussion of Ben Roethlisberger is usually met with a shoulder shrug and a "yeah but..."? That privilege is real.