• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Go on record. Who still wants Watson?

Sasquatch

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Neither Watson nor his lawyer has given any indication that they're willing to settle.

And if he does settle, he'll probably have to admit guilt, maybe even have to register as a sex offender (factors which are probably a big reason why might not settle).

Throw in that settling doesn't just make all this stuff go away.

I'll quote Verge again: The "Watson to the Panthers" ship has sailed.

(that was more of a paraphrase, but hey...)

Oh wow. Yea this thread got way too long so I was behind. That doesn't sound good. Well this makes me think that we will go QB in the draft no matter what.

Didnt Watson and his lawyer say they where going to tell their side last Friday or was it weeks ago? All Ive seen is one case where they said " This is a money grab" . Nothing on the other 20+. He should have paid them off and got help....but its doesnt seem like anyone in his circle knew enough to help. I bet Watson wouldnt have listened anyway...

25 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

By your own admission you haven't been following the story.

You set your own conditions for "calling it a day", then when they were met you backtracked on them.

And as has been pointed out, this accuser has nothing to do with Tony Buzbee.

At this point, you may as well just admit that you want Watson to play for the Panthers regardless of whether he's guilty or not.

Jane Doe is Jane Doe.  Sounds like the attorney plans to keep it that way.  

it isn’t backtracking to say yet another Jane Doe isn’t the same thing as a legit massage therapist coming out against Watson.   Accusers still need credibility and facts.   

I’m on the Fields train by the way.   I haven’t been following the story closely because I’m not hung up on Watson and determining his guilt or innocence right now.   Not fair to him or the accusers.  And Watson’s history still says he should get a chance to defend himself to all this without  being presumed guilty first. 

...still don't want to give up what its gonna cost...and not cost this team in future draft talent... I don't care if his deek fell out the towel...we godda dig out a QB a la Delhomme .... one man is not the answer in a team sport... to give up so much... godda have balance...and scheme can achieve that...

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Neither Watson nor his lawyer has given any indication that they're willing to settle.

And if he does settle, he'll probably have to admit guilt, maybe even have to register as a sex offender (factors which are probably a big reason why might not settle).

Throw in that settling doesn't just make all this stuff go away.

I'll quote Verge again: The "Watson to the Panthers" ship has sailed.

(that was more of a paraphrase, but hey...)

Under what authority would someone who settles a civil matter have to register as a sex offender? And rarely do people settle a civil matter and “admit guilt.” lol

14 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Didnt Watson and his lawyer say they where going to tell their side last Friday or was it weeks ago? All Ive seen is one case where they said " This is a money grab" . Nothing on the other 20+. He should have paid them off and got help....but its doesnt seem like anyone in his circle knew enough to help. I bet Watson wouldnt have listened anyway...

Well last week he stated Buzbee was preventing Watson’s team from knowing who any of the accusers are. 

They have no side to tell his side without that info 

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

Jane Doe is Jane Doe.  Sounds like the attorney plans to keep it that way.  

it isn’t backtracking to say yet another Jane Doe isn’t the same thing as a legit massage therapist coming out against Watson.   Accusers still need credibility and facts.   

I’m on the Fields train by the way.   I haven’t been following the story closely because I’m not hung up on Watson and determining his guilt or innocence right now.   Not fair to him or the accusers.  And Watson’s history still says he should get a chance to defend himself to all this without  being presumed guilty first. 

Sports illustrated knows exactly who she is, and what her credentials are. That's why they reached out to her. You not knowing who she is doesn't delegitimize those things.

And again, civil court doesn't work that way. There's no presumption of innocence in a lawsuit.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've seen a few folks who still have that pipe dream, including one who thinks it happens before the draft (yikes).

In reality, barring a settlement or some other miraculous event, Florio estimates that Watson's current slate of lawsuits will take about two years to work through.

And I know some folks think a settlement just makes everything magically go away, but it's really not that simple; especially given that each and every one of the accusers is asking for an admission of guilt.

I feel pretty confident in saying two things:

Nobody, including us, is trading for Watson while this is still going on (we'd be idiots to do so).

And specific to the Panthers, we're not waiting around for two years to address our quarterback situation.

As Verge has said more than once, that ship has sailed.

Exactly, it isn’t gonna happen.

• Pie 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Sports illustrated knows exactly who she is, and what her credentials are. That's why they reached out to her. You not knowing who she is doesn't delegitimize those things.

And again, civil court doesn't work that way. There's no presumption of innocence in a lawsuit.

You’re wrong again. The defendant still starts with a presumption of liability. The burden is just lower for the plaintiff (preponderance of evidence rather than beyond a reasonable doubt). 

• Poo 1

6 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

Under what authority would someone who settles a civil matter have to register as a sex offender? And rarely do people settle a civil matter and “admit guilt.” lol

For one, every single lawsuit filed is demanding an admission of guilt. So unless you think all 20 plus women are just going to drop that request, then yes, that will be a requirement to settle.

The sex offender thing is a hypothetical. It's the kind of thing that's been requested in other lawsuits.

Just now, Smittymoose said:

You’re wrong again. The defendant still starts with a presumption of liability. The burden is just lower for the plaintiff (preponderance of evidence rather than beyond a reasonable doubt). 

Should be “no liability” since I cannot edit my posts for whatever stupid reason.

• Poo 1