• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Vasectomy

RockyTopVol

Just got scheduled for a vasectomy in two weeks. I have buddies that say it’s no big deal, and one that says it was an awful experience. I should note that I’m a big coward when it comes to doctor visits! 
Wondering if any of you have been through this. I’m 40 and have three boys...the youngest is just 17 months old. I’m afraid I won’t be able to pick him up for a couple of weeks after the procedure. 

Edited by RockyTopVol
  • Pie 1

41 minutes ago, RockyTopVol said:

Just got scheduled for a vasectomy in two weeks. I have buddies that say it’s no big deal, and one that says it was an awful experience. I should note that I’m a big coward when it comes to doctor visits! 
Wondering if any of you have been through this. I’m 40 and have three boys...the youngest is just 17 months old. I’m afraid I won’t be able to pick him up for a couple of weeks after the procedure. 

I had it done 2 years ago.  First 24 hours I was pretty sore.  My lower abdomen was hurting a bit too.  After that I was able to do my things.  Honestly, it’s not a bad at all.  The surgery takes like 30 minutes and you won’t feel the soreness until like 40 minutes after surgery is done.  Then it hits hard.  Get some frozen peas and tramadol (doctor gave me like 6 tablets) and just relax.

• Pie 1

So the thing you might have is pain might come back and feel like you got vasectomy again like 2 weeks later just cause your body is still recovering and things can get infected but your body will take care of it.  It’s been two years now and it was an awesome decision.

• Pie 1

Got it done 7 years ago and have zero regrets. Urologist was very experienced and it was literally 8 minutes from start to finish. Guys have a range of experiences but I iced/rested heavily the entire 2 or so days after and things were fine for day-to-day activities thereafter. Just go into it with both you and your partner recognizing that you may need more recovery time and that recovering properly up front will make things much easier. 

• Pie 3

Frozen peas.  Rotate bags and just don’t do anything.  People that think they can just jump up and do everything day two is what get people in most trouble.  Only real issue I ever have seen with friends are 1) overdoing and lifting and 2) doc nicked a vessel and caused a hematoma.  That one was bad but my buddy should’ve gotten seen way before it got as bad as it did

• Pie 3

I had one in 2013 or 2014, forget the exact year, but it really was no big deal. I think the only people who post much about it online speak to bad experiences. The worst part is the anticipation and the doctor trying to talk football to you when they are severing your bits. Mine was bad anticipation as he was on call at the hospital and was 30 minutes late, I nearly left. It was mainly just bruising, not really any pain at all..

Edited by CLTPanther
  • Pie 2

58 minutes ago, Whatev said:

Frozen peas.  Rotate bags and just don’t do anything.  People that think they can just jump up and do everything day two is what get people in most trouble.  Only real issue I ever have seen with friends are 1) overdoing and lifting and 2) doc nicked a vessel and caused a hematoma.  That one was bad but my buddy should’ve gotten seen way before it got as bad as it did

I might had something like that... my balls were like American flag... red, white and blue.

I got it done in September.  Surgery took 15 minutes, max.

I'd describe it as general soreness, not pain for 2-3 days.  And then intermittent soreness as activity increased for a few weeks (especially when first waking up).   Only took ibuprofren.

• Pie 3

Had mine done 9yr ago, easy nothing to it, small incision then a laser to sever the tube then a titanium clamp. Pain for a day (1-2 advil), then some general soreness for a few days, but thats it.

I experience a few shooting pains out of the blue for about a year then that went away entirely.

I did it for the wife, and now that my marriage is ending, and I'm in the dating world again, ABSOLUTEY the best decision 😜

• Pie 2

• 2 weeks later...