• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mac Jones runs a 4.86 40

Varking

26 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

The Hefty Lefty

Pillsbury Throw Boy

He was in college at the same time I was. Kentucky football was must watch TV. That dude would have defenders hanging off him like he was a human jungle gym and still be chucking the ball down the field. He was WAY faster than he had any right to be at that size too.

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

For real though, you're all trashing that deep ball and saying the guys had to slow down, but that is still a marked improvement over what we saw last year where our guys had to literally stop running to catch the "Long" ball. 

Put NFL DBs on the field and it'll look shockingly (and disappointingly) similar.

Joe Person confirmed the Panthers brass were not in attendance, though he does point out they could still attend Jones workout session next week.

The team was represented by secondary coach Jason Simmons (likely there to look at Patrick Surtain) and an unnamed area scout.

As for Jones, given his good qualities I do think it's possible he could wind up being a decent quarterback for some team that runs a West Coast system or perhaps an E-P (he'd be a terrible fit for a Coryell).

Yes, we run a West Coast type system, but I don't think it'll be us.

14 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He was in college at the same time I was. Kentucky football was must watch TV. That dude would have defenders hanging off him like he was a human jungle gym and still be chucking the ball down the field. He was WAY faster than he had any right to be at that size too.

I was at a Kentucky game maybe 6 or 7 years ago and they had him back there throwing balls at halftime for some charity or something.  Believe it or not he was probably up to close to 400 lb then.  I don't remember why he passed away but that, I am sure, did not help. 

Here are some points I have been trying to make but people want the impatient approach to the QB position. 

It is easy to say Trever>Wilson>Fields>Lance>Jones.  So when you say, "I want Lance, he is better than Jones"  you are absolutely right.  You earn a cookie.  However, when your list is formulated accurately, it should look like this:

• Trevor (not for sale) minus 2 star Panthers and your next 2 first and second round picks;
  • Wilson minus 1 star Panther and your next 2 first round picks;
  • Fields minus the 2021 first round pick and a second rounder + a first rounder in 2022;
  • Lance minus the 2021 first round pick and the second rounder;
  • Jones PLUS a third round pick.

That is the only way you can look at this.  So now consider that it is probably that 2-3 of these QBs will fail, based on history.  Take Fields for example, and now compare him to Jones.  Fields is still a better athlete and he has better physical tools.  In the NFL, does that make him a better QB? Historically, no.

So now ask, "If Fields does not work out, what have I lost?" 4 potentially high-level players. 

Now ask, "If I trade back with Dallas (for example) for a third rounder and take Jones and he does not work out, what have I lost?"  Really, nothing beyond a wasted opportunity to land a top 10 QB.  you gained a backup QB (we really do not have one) and the third rounder can be used to move back up into the second round for an OL or a CB.  You still have your first rounder for 2022. 

So that is why this is not that simple.  I think we move up, hopefully with the Jets, but if we stay put or even move back and take Lance or Jones, I get it.  If the dice don't feel right in your hand, don't throw them.

Jones is the fifth-rated QB on the board and there is separation between him as a prospect and at least 3 of the others.  I get that. Some Huddlers are so concrete--it has to be simple--black/white, cold/hot, etc. so they can develop an argument.  Life aint that way--there are variables, and I rarely see them mentioned--there is also probability and outcome, and I see no focus on the concerns some have for a QB that have sent many other future superstars to the bench for good.  But the likelihood that that is the feeling in 2 years is unlikely.  There are so many variables that must be considered, which is why this is an exhaustive process with a 50% success rate.

• Pie 1