• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Free agent activity

Mr. Scot

Question for long timers...

Granted, it's mostly no names and minor signings, but when was the last time you remember the Panthers being this active in free agency (if you do)?

The year that comes to mind for me is Gettleman's first offseason, but even then I'm not sure we signed this many players.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I mean, I do remember that time recently when we signed a "coveted" FA QB to a 3 year/$63M contract and signed a WR to a 2 year/$20 contract. I don't think we've even come close to that expenditure thus far this off-season.

More players for less money?

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Granted, it's mostly no names and minor signings, but when was the last time you remember the Panthers being this active in free agency (if you do)?

The year that comes to mind for me is Gettleman's first offseason, but even then I'm not sure we signed this many players.

Signed a bunch of nobody’s and often injured players, yeah idk if ever 

• Poo 3

Early Gettleman years there was a good amount of mid and low level FA activity that seemed to be a good approach given the cap situation. They didn't all pan out but they were low risk. For the most part they filled needs and set a baseline. I thought it was a great simple approach that allowed us to draft the fairly freely and acquire great pieces without needing to reach. I hope that is what we are doing now more or less.

• Beer 2
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

And that was from Cap hell--bunch of one-year contracts

If anything we seem to be active earlier in the process where in past years we had to wait longer to get the roster filler flyers to sign. I am guessing that the constriction in the cap caused a lot of guys to not want to wait and take that good year of money now and worry about next year next year. 

I think it was 2006.  But we signed Mike Wahl, Keshawn, Ken Lucas, Kemo and I might be missing someone.  We were coming off the NFC Championship loss to Seattle and Jake really had no one to throw the ball to but Steve the year before.  I think that was the year that Wharton started at LT and Gross at RT.  But that was the most big names and active I ever remember us being.  This year we are active, just a lot of WTF is that guy.  

Edited by bababoey