• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Luke Kuechly: Teddy Bridgewater 'understands it's a performance-based business'

Tbe

2 hours ago, ENCPantherfan2 said:

Damn, Luke turned full on FO guy in just under 2 years. That's something I would expect a veteran FO guy say. 

Funny thing about that...

The year Luke was drafted, his linebacker coach was a guy named Warren Belin. Luke liked him pretty well, and he got credit for helping Luke make the transition from college to pro pretty well.

Then he got fired...

...and word was Luke pitched a fit over it.

Nothing much came of it though. Belin was replaced by Al Holcomb who coached Luke for most of the rest of his career. After two years elsewhere, Holcomb is back coaching here and Luke gave him loads of credit for his career when he retired.

And now Luke talks about it being a business 😄

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, blueandblackattack said:

That's the pot calling the kettle black. Some of you really should learn how to use Google an check your facts first.

The floor price for a starting quarterback is around $20m according to Spotrac https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

Teddy ranks only 16th in average salary, and the only ones below him are Rothlisburger(after a huge restructuring), backups and qb's still under their rookie deal.

$20m might have been top 5 money 10 years ago, but thats just the floor these days. It's called inflation.

We took a calculated gamble because he was familiar with the system Brady was installing, and did well in it the year prior going 5-0. It didn't work. Life sucks, get over it.

You can cry in your beers all you want, but some of you armchair GM's need to check your facts first and start looking at the team long term.

Bridgewater has a voidable year after this year, and we're about 1 year away from being a complete team. But the bricks are being put in their place, and theres a light at the end of the tunnel.

I know it's hard to be patient when your definition of success is a Superbowl or we're trash, so you might wanna start lowering your expectations and get with the process, otherwise you're always gonna be disappointed.

Right on. Way too much revisionist history going on with some people here...it's not hard to understand the process of making the move while also agreeing the results didn't work out. 

Where do you see the voidable year though? The third year of the contract isn't voidable, but like you were saying we can get out of it with minimal ($5m) penalty, so this could always be a 2-year contract if we wanted it to be. Didn't want other people seeing "voidable year" and trying to make the contract out to be worse than it really is since it's become such a buzz phrase this year.

• Beer 4

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, I don't and it has everything to do with the money. He's paid millions. He didn't perform. We haven't sugar coated that. The organization didn't really start airing their disappointment until after Teddy threw the staff under the bus for "not getting the play call in on time" when he missed a wide open DJ in the endzone. There seemed to be a clear shift toward "fug this guy" in regards to Teddy from the organization after that and honestly it's tough to blame them.

And yet Bruce Arians literally threw Tom Brady under the bus multiple times during the season, and they won the Superbowl.

https://www.radio.com/weei/sports/patriots/bruce-arians-seemingly-throws-tom-brady-under-bus-again

We're all human, we make mistakes. It was one time. If it were multiple times then I'd be concerned, but I'm sure they all handled it internally.

Sometimes it spills. It doesn't mean he's a bad person. I'm sure you're not a bad person when you forget to say 'youre beautiful' when you slipped and said 'that's what you're wearing?' and you slept on the couch.

If relationships can mend over one time, and it's not a pattern, then give the man a pass. I'm sure his family is tired of hearing his name slung through the mud so much this offseason. He's human, give him a break.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, blueandblackattack said:

And yet Bruce Arians literally threw Tom Brady under the bus multiple times during the season, and they won the Superbowl.

https://www.radio.com/weei/sports/patriots/bruce-arians-seemingly-throws-tom-brady-under-bus-again

We're all human, we make mistakes. It was one time. If it were multiple times then I'd be concerned, but I'm sure they all handled it internally.

Sometimes it spills. It doesn't mean he's a bad person. I'm sure you're not a bad person when you forget to say 'youre beautiful' when you slipped and said 'that's what you're wearing?' and you slept on the couch.

If relationships can mend over one time, and it's not a pattern, then give the man a pass. I'm sure his family is tired of hearing his name slung through the mud so much this offseason. He's human, give him a break.

All I'm saying is that it seems very clear that we're moving on from Teddy this off-season. If we're not, then yeah we should really stop throwing shade at him publicly.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

59 minutes ago, KSpan said:

They're not wrong though. Teddy hasn't changed a bit since coming into the league, even on his Saints film, and the results were extremely predictable and I daresay even worse than the mediocrity many saw coming from the outset. It was a poor decision regardless of the money though the money makes it worse given the same highly-predictable results could have been had for much less, full stop. 

Aren't you guys tired of playing the same broken record over and again? Can some of you just take a step back and see the big picture, or is it just cuz you picked Bridgewater in the 1st round of your fantasy draft and he cost you money.

It is what it is. It's over, we're all moving on. Catch up.

9 minutes ago, electricbluecats said:

Right on. Way too much revisionist history going on with some people here...it's not hard to understand the process of making the move while also agreeing the results didn't work out. 

Where do you see the voidable year though? The third year of the contract isn't voidable, but like you were saying we can get out of it with minimal ($5m) penalty, so this could always be a 2-year contract if we wanted it to be. Didn't want other people seeing "voidable year" and trying to make the contract out to be worse than it really is since it's become such a buzz phrase this year.

Thanks man. And it's the line between 2021 and 2022, it's an opt out year that they gotta decide before the 2022 NFL year starts.

7 minutes ago, blueandblackattack said:

I'm sure his family is tired of hearing his name slung through the mud so much this offseason. He's human, give him a break.

Personal attacks are unnecessary and embarrassing for the fans.

Reality however is just that. 33 million dollars in guarantees says he will ultimately be okay despite it all. That much money for backup level play is quite the break in itself.  He does not need folks here throwing themselves into flames on his behalf.

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, blueandblackattack said:

Aren't you guys tired of playing the same broken record over and again? Can some of you just take a step back and see the big picture, or is it just cuz you picked Bridgewater in the 1st round of your fantasy draft and he cost you money.

It is what it is. It's over, we're all moving on. Catch up.

My comments are always responses, so I'm not the one still drudging things. Catch up.

Edited by KSpan
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, blueandblackattack said:

Thanks man. And it's the line between 2021 and 2022, it's an opt out year that they gotta decide before the 2022 NFL year starts.

Oh are you looking at the potential out on Spotrac? That doesn't mean anything in terms of a contract automatically voiding or the team having a deadline to make a decision before the league year starts. Spotrac just adds that in as a visual for no more base salary guarantees for a contract and it's much cheaper to move on. But yeah either way that third year of his deal is definitely not getting played out.

You gotta have the HEART of a lion to dominate in this game.

Smitty had it. Muggsy (Hornets)had it. Cam had it. Luke had it. That's the "it" your looking for. "It" shows up on stat sheets, DJ, CMC, Kyle Pitts, Kyle Trask. This is a performance based business. The size of the guy can be multiplied by HEART.

This trait is absent in TB.