• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper

54th man

The fee to make sure Tepper doesn't spend a dime on the Charlotte FC fan experience takes me back to Snyder's halcyon days of engineering ticket prices for Redskins training camp.

You all are free to think Tepper is the GOAT all you like, obviously. But I remain to be convinced that Charlotte FC won't be the MLS' answer to the MLB's Seattle Pilots.

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 3

We ascribe a lot to Tepper based only minimally on what he has actually said or done, both good and bad.

If we just look at what has been accomplished here since he took over...

...well, there's not a lot more winning. 

He did, though, pick up the team when it was pretty down and out, promising a rise to greatness (or at least respectability). We're a few years in now and I think we need to start seeing some results this season.

Then again, it's not like we can call for him to get fired. He owns the whole darned thing.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Panthers Rhule said:

While this is true, his first 2 seasons he didn't touch the football side of the organization. That was still Richardson's guys. We can fault him for that I guess. Last season was the first that he concentrated on the football side and we got and up and coming head coach with a modern philosophy signed long term for stability and now we have the same in our new GM. The results from last season were better than anyone's expectations even with this plague. The moves made during this off season are much better than we've been used to. It's still way too early to judge but I think so far things are looking more promising than at anytime since we almost won the SB. Hopefully, that feeling lasts longer this time.  

I hear you but the bottom line is he team is not winning. As a comparison, the Panthers first 3-years (95-97) their record was 26-22.

Tepper did not start with nothing and he did not buy an expansion team. The jury is still out, and there is hope but they need to start winning. Nobody can say a 17-31 record is good. I think this upcoming season is a huge opportunity for the Panthers to take the next step. Let’s all hope they do. 

They haven’t won a Super Bowl since he bought the team, so that makes him one of the worst owners in the league.

Or so goes the logic of some.

Let’s put it this way: you are an investor with shares of stock in a company.  A normal investor, who does not own enough shares to influence things one bit, but your shares represent a fair chunk of change to you.  The company hit some peaks, but now looks like it is struggling to remain relevant in a changing market.  The management keeps trying to add a widget or two to the product line, but the performance, and thus your share value, keeps declining.  Not a steep decline and not without some ups, but overall, the trend is somewhere between stagnation and downward.

They can the CEO, and the new CEO lays out a long-term plan for success.  He starts making high level moves that look conducive to his plan.  He does not fire the COO or CFO right away, but after giving them a chance to adjust to the new atmosphere and not seeing any promise, he does.  He hires a dynamic young CEO and a CFO that has been around the block at least once.  They completely revamp the product line, a process that is is not finished yet.

Do you sell your shares because the bottom line has not improved yet, or do you stay the course seeing a pattern, or do you buy more because you not only see the pattern, you like it, believe it will lead to a promising future, and thus feel the shares are a bargain right now?

• Pie 2

43 minutes ago, jtm said:

Dig around and find the articles/quotes from Rhule and Brady on Bridgewater.  They were big time in on him and very concerning to me.

The delayed firings for Rivera and Hurney made zero sense to me.  Everyone knew they were gone and we had a lame duck period that was wasted time.

I take those with some grains of salt since they're coaches and were pretty clearly stuck with him regardless of how they felt. I struggle to imagine Brady coming to Carolina just to throw checkdowns and play dink-and-dunk football but it's very possible they really overestimated Teddy's ceiling as well.

2 hours ago, joemac said:

I fully believe that Tepper is going to do whatever is in his power to bring a Championship team to Charlotte.  I may be in the minority around here, but I love what he has done so far.  Its a breath of fresh air compared to Richardson.

You mean Championship in MLS right? B/c that's where his priorities are at.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, thennek said:

Since Tepper bought the Panthers their record is 17-31. 

With six of those wins coming in the first eight games of his ownership. We’ve won a total of 11 games since mid 2018. My guess is this is the first time in teppers life he’s had to deal with a lengthy string of losses with no real clear cut formula to end them. 

40 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

As long as Marty Hurney remained in charge, we were basically still living under Jerry Richardson.

I see this year as the first true season under David Tepper.

So who, exactly, was signing those checks that Hurney was cashing the last 2 years? 

• Flames 1

Mixed bag and still early.

He is going full speed on the business side. New facilities and setting himself up to make money while the team gets all kinds of improvements. Good stuff there.

On the football side it looks like he is trying and failing currently. We keep losing and it's looking like at least another year is in store for all of us. 

He kept Ron too long and he might have contaminated Rhule by keeping Hurney, letting him fug up the hiring process and then hiring a weaker GM candidate because he didn't clean house when the trial run of R&H failed like it always did. Rhule is a great HC but he should have a competent GM over him and as far as I am concerned that candidate went to Cleveland and turned around that poo-stain of a franchise. We will see where this goes but I still have concerns. If Rhule and Fritters can right the ship then we are good, if not we may have to clean house and start fresh or bring in a GM with more power to lure a higher quality GM. We will know soon, fingers crossed. So far his meddling was done with Ron and is hopefully over. He has shown zero useful football IQ other than we need a good QB and he wants to win. If this is a worst case scenario, it could take him some time to figure out how to hire and manage good football people. 

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. 

• Beer 1