• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Micah Parsons makes case to be top defensive player in draft

You can argue about the importance of LBs all day along, there is a lot of thought that the DL and secondary is actually more important, but for the heck of iit lets assume they are all equal.  In that case you have to look at positional availability.

What position is easier to find later in the draft? DL or LB

What position is cheaper to find in free agency?  DL or LB

At 8 if we don't go QB that probably means at least 3 or 4 QBs are off of the board already.  Good chance Sewell and Chase will be gone also.

That means at least one of these non QBs will be available: Slater, Smith, Waddle, Pitts, Surtain, Parsons

Of those 6 I would probably take Parsons last.

• Beer 2
40 minutes ago, CRA said:

and you could argue it was the RT spot that actually proved to be the line spot that actually cost us the most. 

stopping the run comes down to to the DL and LB corp.  our run D went to poo when our DTs got weak.  Star leaving coupled with KK’s downslide.   Luke alone isn’t a run D.  Just like Brown and an improved DL alone isn’t a run defense.  Would be nice to have a strong D for when we get that young QB coming through.

I still want a QB at 8 but if he ain’t there I want Parsons.  He is the puzzle piece to get our D back on track IMO

You can get a linebacker in rounds 2-4 in the next several drafts that can make the front 7 very good. That’s where linebackers have the best value for their positions. If it’s between an LT, corner or linebacker I’m picking either the LT or corner every time in the top 10. Even if parsons is graded higher than the cb or LT prospect. Linebackers are luxury picks. 

5 hours ago, The Huddler said:

yeah we shouldnt have drafted kuechly because we had beason. what were we thinking?? 

no i just meant we already signed Perryman, who's slated to play the mike. 

I guess beason didn't stop them from drafting kuechly originally though. 

1 minute ago, TheRumGone said:

You can get a linebacker in rounds 2-4 in the next several drafts that can make the front 7 very good. That’s where linebackers have the best value for their positions. If it’s between an LT, corner or linebacker I’m picking either the LT or corner every time in the top 10. Even if parsons is graded higher than the cb or LT prospect. Linebackers are luxury picks. 

well, in the top 10 I generally want the best player.  Need factoring to some degree but not that much.   For example, I don't want to draft a stud to backup another stud (we have done that many times).  

but if the best player is clearly Parsons at #8 and all the QBs are gone? LB is a legit need.  And part of the puzzle to a dominant front.   That's my preference.   

Outside of a top 10 pick I'd prefer need dictate the picks. 

• Pie 1
2 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

no i just meant we already signed Perryman, who's slated to play the mike. 

I guess beason didn't stop them from drafting kuechly originally though. 

if Beason didn't blow is Achilles I don't think they would have drafted Luke. 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

if Beason didn't blow is Achilles I don't think they would have drafted Luke. 

yeah he was falling apart but i think there was still an element of hurney hurney'ing with Luke in a way that always worked out in the first round and never worked out in the following rounds. 

if we're gonna make a frivolous selection that doesn't really capitalize on the value of our spot, then just draft devonta Smith

at least that would be fun

• Beer 1
4 minutes ago, CRA said:

well, in the top 10 I generally want the best player.  Need factoring to some degree but not that much.   For example, I don't want to draft a stud to backup another stud (we have done that many times).  

but if the best player is clearly Parsons at #8 and all the QBs are gone? LB is a legit need.  And part of the puzzle to a dominant front.   That's my preference.   

Outside of a top 10 pick I'd prefer need dictate the picks. 

LT and corner are just as big of a need if not more than linebacker. I’m not talking about drafting a 2nd round LT prospect in the top 10 because the need is greater. I swear if someone like slater is available in the top 10 and we pick Micah parsons this franchise has not learned a damn thing. That’s where I’m at as far as picking more on a need scale even if parsons is graded slightly higher.

I’d honestly draft another dlineman in the top ten before a linebacker this draft if I had to pick. Someone to go next to Brown if that player was available in the top 10.

In the top 10, I think you're looking for the blue chip-corner stone type players.  These are players you are trying to draft to make sure you aren't a top 10 team again.

Parsons?  Is he a franchise altering kind of player?  How much better will he make the defense?  How many games will he win us?  I don't know.  

My preference would be for a LT or CB (Farley anyone?) who can lock down a premium position if QB is out.  Parsons can be a great LB, but he needs the system around him to really help us win games.  Luke was so deadly when he has the pieces to protect him.

Like he and TD helped set the other up for plays.  The presence and performance of other pieces gave each of them opportunities.  When Luke lost a lot of his teammates, teams were better able to plan around him and avoid him. I don't know if we have the pieces on our D currently to allow someone like Parsons to thrive.

24 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

LT and corner are just as big of a need if not more than linebacker. I’m not talking about drafting a 2nd round LT prospect in the top 10 because the need is greater. I swear if someone like slater is available in the top 10 and we pick Micah parsons this franchise has not learned a damn thing. That’s where I’m at as far as picking more on a need scale even if parsons is graded slightly higher.

I’d honestly draft another dlineman in the top ten before a linebacker this draft if I had to pick. Someone to go next to Brown if that player was available in the top 10.

But I'm not arguing that LT and DB aren't as big of a need or possibly more of one.  

I'm merely arguing in the top 10 I generally want the best player pending we don't have a stud that has locked up the position.  Top 10 is about the only area where I don't like need dictating the pick. 

I don't think Slater will be there at #8 though.  I'd take him over Parsons if he was.   My Parsons argument is basically the top 4 QBs are gone and both OTs.  And Parsons IMO is a better player in the top 10 than the DBs.   That's just me.   I won't be upset if we go DB.  I'll probably only be upset w/ some Mac Jones type bullshit. 

11 hours ago, Dex said:

So was Luke. Just food for thought.

I don’t get this. Beason played 1 game in 2011 before Luke and 4 games Luke’s rookie year. We also saved a lot of money not paying the last couple years. As others mentioned we also had a great rookie year from Cam and Gross. If we pass on a top QB (even if you’re in the minority that doesn’t like any QB) or LT for Parsons, then we reap what we sow. I think it would be an awful pick. I’d rather risk a QB busting than take Parsons. We aren’t a playoff team adding Parsons and we are just one more year away from finding a rookie QB.

• Flames 1
7 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I don’t get this. Beason played 1 game in 2011 before Luke and 4 games Luke’s rookie year. We also saved a lot of money not paying the last couple years. As others mentioned we also had a great rookie year from Cam and Gross. If we pass on a top QB (even if you’re in the minority that doesn’t like any QB) or LT for Parsons, then we reap what we sow. I think it would be an awful pick. I’d rather risk a QB busting than take Parsons. We aren’t a playoff team adding Parsons and we are just one more year away from finding a rookie QB.

I don't think people are arguing to pass on the QBs for Parsons though.  Parsons is more a discussion of what do we do if all the QBs are gone.    

If people don't trade back...I think you can count on the Jags and Jets take 2 QBs.  Bengals take an OT.     So what do the Phins, Falcons, Eagles, Lions all do.   They are the bigger wildcards in their picks.