• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

49ers just traded to possibly get....Mac Jones

WarPanthers89

1 hour ago, Peon Awesome said:

Now it's possible the 49ers really do love Mac Jones and still possible he turns into a great qb, especially on a loaded 49ers team. But it's hard to think SF decided they needed to move up to 3 to get him especially after Miami proceeds to trade that very pick to Philly to move up to 6 where Mac would almost certainly still be available and not have to lose that 2023 1st.

Moving up to 3 for Fields or even Lance on paper makes a lot more sense because neither is guaranteed to be there at 6. But teams do strange things all the time. Sounds like them drafting Jones is mostly educated conjecture so I'm not hanging my hat on it either way.

While I generally agree with you that the trade may not have needed to go so high if Mac is the target... its 1)possible they know about interest in him we don't, 2) if they are truly completely sold on him and say one other qb, this guarantees them one of those two.  No other spot would (well, other than 1 or 2 and ... )

• Pie 1

20 hours ago, J.B. said:

Why? Because he’s not a run-around QB?

He processes faster than the other QBs and has better intangibles. He’s just not an athlete......which is the least important characteristic of a QB

Simply much better options, at QB, WR, LT, OG, DE, CB etc. He is not the 3rd best player in the draft. 

• Beer 1

22 hours ago, Peon Awesome said:

Now it's possible the 49ers really do love Mac Jones and still possible he turns into a great qb, especially on a loaded 49ers team. But it's hard to think SF decided they needed to move up to 3 to get him especially after Miami proceeds to trade that very pick to Philly to move up to 6 where Mac would almost certainly still be available and not have to lose that 2023 1st.

Moving up to 3 for Fields or even Lance on paper makes a lot more sense because neither is guaranteed to be there at 6. But teams do strange things all the time. Sounds like them drafting Jones is mostly educated conjecture so I'm not hanging my hat on it either way.

Keep in mind when mahomes was drafted at 10 and Kansas city moved up for him, most mocks had him at bottom of first round and many mocks and analysts had him going in the second round. Teams are quiet about the qbs they love. If Kansas City believed those mocks they had no reason to trade up. Its obvious they knew more information about the interest level of other teams in mahomes. 

Fact is the NFL is higher on mac jones than the analysts and mock draft pundits are.  I would not have been surprised if Atlanta took him at 4, and had him sit behind Matt Ryan. It would have been a perfect bridge qb for him. I would not have been surprised if Carolina was extremely interested in Mac Jones. Keep in mind joe brady was LSU OC with Joe Burrow. Burrow and Mac have a lot of similarities. 

Also would not have been surprised if Patriots decided to move up for Mac Jones. Teams often keep their interest level of qbs secret because they do not want teams to move up in the draft to get the qb they desire. So you could not tell me that Mac would not have been the third qb off the board, regardless of 49ers trading up. They would not have traded this much and end up picking Mac if they did not have inside information of other teams ahead of them that are interested in Mac

• Pie 1

23 hours ago, SOJA said:

If SF is dumb enough to take Mac Jones then yes I truly believe Lance or Fields will be a possibility for us

also I would like to mention that recency bias of mobile qbs (watson/mahomes) is clouding the judgement of mobile qbs in this yrs class. Lance and fields are projects with huge risk factors if you pick them. I advise everyone to watch individual game tapes of mahomes and watson in college. Then compare those tapes to fields and lance. 

Its not even close. Do not watch flashy highlight mixtapes of qbs on youtube and base your qb evaluations on that. 

2 hours ago, LobsAllDay said:

also I would like to mention that recency bias of mobile qbs (watson/mahomes) is clouding the judgement of mobile qbs in this yrs class. Lance and fields are projects with huge risk factors if you pick them. I advise everyone to watch individual game tapes of mahomes and watson in college. Then compare those tapes to fields and lance. 

Its not even close. Do not watch flashy highlight mixtapes of qbs on youtube and base your qb evaluations on that. 

Mahomes isn't mobile, per se. Not in the same way an Allen, Herbert or a Watson is. 

Edited by OldhamA

You would have to think the Patriots have already been in contact with the49ers about Jimmy G's status *if* (yeah, right) SF drafts a QB.  This is EXTREMELY important as NE is probably the final team to jump ahead of us to get a QB.  If there is an understanding that Jimmy will be available, that should keep the Pats at #15 and get Jimmy an offensive weapon to utilize.

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

You would have to think the Patriots have already been in contact with the49ers about Jimmy G's status *if* (yeah, right) SF drafts a QB.  This is EXTREMELY important as NE is probably the final team to jump ahead of us to get a QB.  If there is an understanding that Jimmy will be available, that should keep the Pats at #15 and get Jimmy an offensive weapon to utilize.

Jimmy G is severely over rated. He has played one full season and was the weak link on a super bowl team. 

2 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Jimmy G is severely over rated. He has played one full season and was the weak link on a super bowl team. 

Tell that to Belichick.  He still has a man-crush on Jimmy G.  Again, Jimmy G going back to NE (if that actually happens) keeps the Pats from trading ahead of us in the draft.  That's really all I care about.

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Tell that to Belichick.  He still has a man-crush on Jimmy G.  Again, Jimmy G going back to NE (if that actually happens) keeps the Pats from trading ahead of us in the draft.  That's really all I care about.

Do we know NE is still interested or is it just speculation?

Just now, mav1234 said:

Do we know NE is still interested or is it just speculation?

I saw it somewhere today that it's *rumored* NE is still interested in Jimmy G. I've been all over football pages this afternoon.  But yes, I read that somewhere earlier this afternoon.  This has draft implications, so you can't bank on it.  It could be true or it could be smoke.