• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

49ers just traded to possibly get....Mac Jones

WarPanthers89

I have challenged people to tell me exactly why they are so certain Jones does not belong with the other QBs at the top of the draft.  Fans read some crackhead's article and another that repeats it and they start believing they are in the know.  Here are some of the attempts (paraphrased) to dismiss Jones.

1. His body. (See GOAT, and tell me what kind of body do you need to read and throw?)

2. He has an average arm.  (Well, when your brain is slow to react, you need a gun to make up the time you lost trying to figure it out.  When you anticipate and read quickly, you simply make sure the ball is there on time.  An average arm is easier to catch than a laser, so it is actually better).

3. He was only good because he had a good team around him.  (what else is he supposed to be?  Being good is a negative if you have a supporting cast?  I am assuming that Trevor is good for that reason, Fields is good for that reason, and Lance is good for that reason.  And if you look at Wilson's schedule, he was good for that reason. What a stupid point.  Jones completed nearly 80% of his passes for an 11.2 yards gained per attempt average. He average 350 yards per game and had 42 TD passes vs. 4 Ints.  That is better than all other QBs---oh, and he won a championship, something only Fields did not do.) 

So if you are convinced that Jones sucks, the stats do not support your opinion.

-------------------

Here is what I think:  SF sees Jones as the best fit for their offense, and they probably assume that Wilson and Trevor will be gone.  So they may play the draft gamble game and project him to be there at 12, or the remove all doubt.  Securing #3 allows them to focus on the rest of the draft, make trades, etc. because they now KNOW who they are getting. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I have challenged people to tell me exactly why they are so certain Jones does not belong with the other QBs at the top of the draft.  Fans read some crackhead's article and another that repeats it and they start believing they are in the know.  Here are some of the attempts (paraphrased) to dismiss Jones.

1. His body. (See GOAT, and tell me what kind of body do you need to read and throw?)

2. He has an average arm.  (Well, when your brain is slow to react, you need a gun to make up the time you lost trying to figure it out.  When you anticipate and read quickly, you simply make sure the ball is there on time.  An average arm is easier to catch than a laser, so it is actually better).

3. He was only good because he had a good team around him.  (what else is he supposed to be?  Being good is a negative if you have a supporting cast?  I am assuming that Trevor is good for that reason, Fields is good for that reason, and Lance is good for that reason.  And if you look at Wilson's schedule, he was good for that reason. What a stupid point.  Jones completed nearly 80% of his passes for an 11.2 yards gained per attempt average. He average 350 yards per game and had 42 TD passes vs. 4 Ints.  That is better than all other QBs---oh, and he won a championship, something only Fields did not do.) 

So if you are convinced that Jones sucks, the stats do not support your opinion.

-------------------

Here is what I think:  SF sees Jones as the best fit for their offense, and they probably assume that Wilson and Trevor will be gone.  So they may play the draft gamble game and project him to be there at 12, or the remove all doubt.  Securing #3 allows them to focus on the rest of the draft, make trades, etc. because they now KNOW who they are getting. 

Jones deserves a chance! He's just not what I would personally be looking for to be competitive in today's NFL. Moreover, I think you're projecting on the belief that he has Brady or Peyton-esque type of football processing up there in his dome. I'm going to have to see him do that as a pro before I believe it. To me, that would be something special and perhaps an advantage if he's truly on that level. But, today, I just see him as a a guy with a pretty decent floor, but a limited ceiling due to his lack of athleticism and ability to play off script. 

40 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

-------------------

Plenty of people have explained why they don't care for Jones as a prospect, you've just ignored it and acted like no one has explained their position to you because it doesn't jive with your opinion. 

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Fields is about to have an awesome Pro Day and unfortunately convince SF to take him at 3...

From what I've read, mostly because @saX mangave us the heads-up, they are angling for Fields anyway. Steve Young believes they're OK with Wilson or Fields and that's why they moved to three.

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

Mac Jones still the word? Daniel Jeremiah did say some of his league sources say don't count out Mac Jones, but he's slightly leaning Lance over Jones.

Yep. Mac Jones is that dude. I know they do like Lance though. 

19 minutes ago, Verge said:

You think the 49ers traded three first round picks and haven't made up their mind already? 

I think they are comfortable with a few. I mean in theory someone could move up to 2 and take their guy it if is just one player right? Getting an up close view of Fields strength and speed might be the final verification they need. I guess it’s just very surprising they want Mac like you are saying. (Totally not doubting you though. I know your sources are legit)

1 minute ago, Verge said:

Yeah if Wilson falls to them that would be a certainty, but Wilson falling out of the #2 spot seems outlandish at this point. 

So what do you make of Darnold's fate then?  Certainly they wouldn't sit Wilson for a year.  Do you think they wait to shop him until after the draft?  That would seem a bit counter-productive. I mean if they want Wilson, they have him, why wait to shop Darnold?