• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Don"t Expect Carolina to Trade Up for a QB.

chknwing

This offense is unwatchable with Teddy at QB. I’d rather watch paint dry. If they don’t find the answer quick they will lose all the momentum and good will left over from having an actual franchise QB, and whatever excitement is left from jettisoning Ron and Marty, and it will hurt their bottom line. I don’t think Tepper will be content to go into the season with Teddy. This upcoming season would probably be the least hopeful one in the past 20 years if that came to fruition. I can’t think of much reason to watch another season of Teddy.

• Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

When did Watson win his MVP? And Watt was already past it once they got Watson up to speed. Cam and and Luke were drafted in back to back years.

By a GM who I was repeatedly told by some was actually good at his job (logic based primarily on those two picks).

1 minute ago, WUnderhill said:

This offense is unwatchable with Teddy at QB. I’d rather watch paint dry. If they don’t find the answer quick they will lose all the momentum and good will left over from having an actual franchise QB, and whatever excitement is left from jettisoning Ron and Marty, and it will hurt their bottom line. I don’t think Tepper will be content to go into the season with Teddy. This upcoming season would probably be the least hopeful one in the past 20 years if that came to fruition. I can’t think of much reason to watch another season of Teddy.

Tepper is going to lose a lot more money if Teddy is starter this year. This team is not heading in a good direction imo

53 minutes ago, chknwing said:

Fitt has already stated that sometimes you go through multiple qbs until you find one that fits.  Trading away years of draft capital doesnt fit that statement.  He may roll the dice on a qb at 8 but hes not stupid enough to gamble the teams future on a ?.  The draft will shake a few vet qbs from the tree.  Fitt will take one of those and keep building the rest of the tesm.

I am responding before reading the rest of the thread---nice topic and I agree--especially if that QB would be the fifth QB taken in the draft.  The stats that show a 21-year-old QB coming in and saving an organization with many holes and needs indicated that the odds of becoming a bust are LIKELY. 

The fact that a few vets will "shake out" is probable.  Some simply  need a new scenerio and more support.  If we build a good OL and add a solid TE, for example, any QB that everyone calls a bust (Darnold, Minshew, Goff, etc. stand about as much of a chance of becoming legit here as a FCS QB with 1 year under his belt would.  I encourage open minds--if you think Darnold sucks, he may---but his coaches and supporting cast was abysmal.  Give him a line, some WRs, a CMC---things might have been different.

• Beer 2

40 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

We’ll be taking best players available.  Either Parsons or Sewell if Fields or Lance not available.

I would definitely trade back--but I will speculate that there is a chance that we are higher on Lance than the NFL scouts--wonder what the odds are that Lance slips to us?  I might say, 30-40%--if trading were not allowed, I might say higher.

14 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

It was tough to watch, but if we upgrade the OL, throw in a healthy CMC, we will be better for the time being--enough to keep us out of the top 10 in the draft and playoffs at the same time.  It is the kiss of death to be mediocre.  Financially (Thanks Marty!) we are into him for big bucks in 2021 if we start him or release him, and he is currently (MAYBE) the best QB on the roster.  Winning culture.

We could go with that and wait until the draft to see what falls out of the tree--will current QBs be cut or traded? Who best fits our system?  Me?  I am going after Minshew with a 2022 second rounder to see if Jax will trade.  Why would they not? He is a cheap backup for a season, but he is getting benched by a college player.

• Pie 1

There is no exact science to winning a superbowl. 

Drafting a top 10 pick QB doesn't promise anything. 

Having an elite arm, doesn't promise anything. 

It is much harder to draft a QB, and then build a team around him (Cam), than it is to build a team and insert a QB. 

Brady has proven that a good defense is.more essential than high level play. Time and time again. 

We are not an Elite QB away from winning a Championship. We need to continue to build this team. When the time is right, acquiring a QB to insert isn't going to depend on draft position. 

Relax folks, and stop being so damn emotional in March. 

• Pie 6
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

And who’s that guy? It sure won’t be Mond or Newman. 

First, Mond and Newman are not in the same class. 

Mond's skill set is off the charts.  Just has not put it all together, yet.  Can Brady help with that?  I dunno, but I do not know enough about QBs to write off players with skills before they ever played a down.

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

And who’s that guy? It sure won’t be Mond or Newman. 

Could be Mond, could be Trask (yes, he had a bad bowl game with all of his WRs sitting out the game)--and that player may not be the guy in 2021.  I think they will be playing in 2022 and 2023.  These guys can be coached and the system is so important.  Not my first choice, but if you go back and look at drafts in the past, how many QBs (if you are honest) would you have taken are now "Busts?"  In the Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, Darnold draft, how many people would honestly say they would have selected Allen? 

Things may not be as dire as some think.  Well, thinks can't possibly be as dire as some think, because nobody has found an asteroid hurling toward earth and on target for a May strike, that will obliterate the planet.

As has been talked about/around, there are upwards of 15 players available in this draft that are near-certain starters.  Believe it or not, and sit down for this, not all are QBs.  And not all will be gone if we stick to the #8 pick.  While many believe this will be the case, trust me, it is a mathematical impossibility and I am hardly a mathematician.  And given that we need help at almost every position on the field, barring stupidity, we are going to plug a hole.

But, for the QB or else crowd who are about to end it all, it could come down to whether there is one or more of the Big Four we do not want, what the Jest and Falcons opt to do, and whether the rumors of the 49ers really liking Jones are based on anything other than gut feeling. 

The world, according to Schultz.

Jacksonville - Foregone conclusion Lawrence is going there, no talk of them trading out of the pick.

NY Jest - Taking Wilson, if the reports are to be believed.  Putting Wilson in their current starting lineup is a disaster for him, but they are the Jest.  Their roster is more devoid of talent than ours, so trading down is not out of the question, albeit for a king's ransom.  Still, they have been rumored to be interested in a number of the likely starters at almost all positions.  With good reason, since they need help at almost every position on the field.

49ers - Acquired this pick for a reason, and I guess that reason is Fields/Jones/Lance/Wilson (in alphabetical order since nobody knows).

Falcons - Given their salary cap situation, they are either committed to one more run with Ryan and Julio or entering a very long rebuild.  They have a lot of money tied up in a few players.  Don't just look at the cap number in Spotrac/OTC, look at the number of players that are in that number.  Drafting a QB does not fit this scenario yet.  That is not to say they won't, or that they will not trade the pick, but a new QB does not help them circle the wagons for one more run.  It does not even necessarily help them rebuild, since the QB will be a few years into his rookie deal before anything comes to fruition.  They need defensive help, badly.

Bengals - They are drafting Sewell if nobody above them has.  If somebody has, they are drafting Slater.  The odds that both of them are gone are almost nil.  And given they just got their new QB murdered in his first season, I don't see them trading out of this pick more than maybe 8th (hint)

Dolphins - Miami played musical chairs and stayed in the top 6 for a reason.  Enter Chase, Smith, or Waddle.  They could continue to play musical chairs with their pick, say, to #8 plus and another pick or player and still meet this need.

Lions - Reportedly competing with the Dolphins for the WR pool.  The Lions need a lot of things, and QB is not currently one of the top three or four.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

I don't understand how you go back to Teddy after pretty much spending the offseason shitting on him from the owner to former players.  

You can't use the building a Culture thing when everybody knows you think the suppose leader of your team starting QB is trash...