• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why the Niners didn't trade to #2

Mr. Scot

You want to plan for a QB in year 2022?  Here is one way:  Trade a conditional 4th rounder for Darnold and pay him his salary for 2021.  Work with him--put him as the #3 QB on the depth chart--and have the QB coach work with him all day on his mechanics.  If he progresses, offer him a backup QB contract with incentives for 2022-25 or so.  If he does not, let him go.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

I think most of us agree that the Jets went out of their way to tank last year.  
You don’t tank for a OT or WR, you tank for a new QB.

They missed out on Trevor but I think they like QB2 enough to continue with the plan.

Personally I would think it would take an obscene offer for them to trade down.

I mean...they won 2 out of their last 3 games (both against playoff teams) when they were guaranteed the 1st overall draft pick.  You think it'd be hard for them to find a way to lose those games if they were committed to tanking?

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

You don’t tank for a OT or WR, you tank for a new QB.

They missed out on Trevor but I think they like QB2 enough to continue with the plan.

Personally I would think it would take an obscene offer for them to trade down.

They famously didn't tank in how they won and gave up the 1st pick.

1 hour ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Ryan Tannehill kind of changed the landscape for QBs drafted high that don't pan out initially. It seems more teams are open to reclamation projects at the QB position and acknowledge crappy teams make even decent prospects look crappy.

Ryan Tannehill was always a solid QB (although certainly his game has went up a notch in Tennessee).  He just starting getting hurt and was 30 years old on a Dolphins team that was prepared to tank.

I think you are trading for Darnold to give him a 1-year therapy camp and you put him through mechanics hell.  He has the arm strength.  You tie his feet together and tell him to dance around...You make him catch a free-range chicken with his hands...you make him do one-handed push ups--all during a season-long montage made famous in the 80s movies.  At the end of the song, he starts the super bowl and wins it.

11 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

You want to plan for a QB in year 2022?  Here is one way:  Trade a conditional 4th rounder for Darnold and pay him his salary for 2021.  Work with him--put him as the #3 QB on the depth chart--and have the QB coach work with him all day on his mechanics.  If he progresses, offer him a backup QB contract with incentives for 2022-25 or so.  If he does not, let him go.

Honestly, it's not the worst idea in the world. If he improves and shows he can be the answer, great! If he doesn't and continues on this same path we're going to be in the mix for a top 5 pick.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, it's not the worst idea in the world. If he improves and shows he can be the answer, great! If he doesn't and continues on this same path we're going to be in the mix for a top 5 pick.

I see both sides of the argument about drafting a QB now. I want one badly.  I still think we are holding out for Watson, to some degree, but there is nothing wrong with building the roster THEN bring in your guy. 

• Pie 3

16 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I see both sides of the argument about drafting a QB now. I want one badly.  I still think we are holding out for Watson, to some degree, but there is nothing wrong with building the roster THEN bring in your guy. 

I think the Watson train may have sailed.

That said, I have no issue with that move as well.  Just please, do it right.

If they have Slater or Sewell rated as a top 8 player, take them.  We need a cornerstone lineman, especially if we move on from Moton next season.  Draft IOL in the 2nd or 3rd...try EVERYTHING to try to move Teddy...even if it costs a future 5 to get him off the roster.  Snag Minchew or Darnold and see if you can make them into something.

Prepare and keep your eyes out for the next buying opportunity.  For the first time that I can recall, we are seeing legit starting QB's be moved around the NFL.  Back in the day, if you had a Manning, Rivers, Ben, etc...they were there forever....that's not the case any longer.

Let's just fuging be prepared, and build the roster well.  Hopefully the QB comes to us.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd say the same thing about this that I did when we were talking about Watson.

If Scott Fitterer and Matt Rhule think it's a good decision, then I could get on board.

If they don't, but David Tepper pushes them to do it anyway, I'm not comfortable with that.

The guy with the lowest amount of football knowledge in the room should not be the one dictating what we do.

I'd walk away if Tepper did that to me as a HC.

He'd be hamstringing the team for years to sate his ego. Go back to coaching college teams - you wouldn't be short of offers. 

• Beer 1

35 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Watson was my first option but who knows what's happening on that front. I'd LOVE to draft a QB in the 1st but I'm not sure it's going to be possible and the trade up market has already been established and it's STEEP. A boom or bust mid-rounder or vet might be our best bad option. Either way, the best option is NOT Teddy Bridgewater on a $23M cap hit.

Keep in mind, our QB depth chart is one player deep right now.  I know I've said this before, but it has been one player deep for going on three seasons.  Everybody wants to focus on the #1 slot, but that may not be possible, and the roster overall is not good enough to sell a bunch of assets (be they young players or draft picks) to fix that slot.

One real question on Darnold is whether the Jets have ruined him beyond any hope.  In that respect, Mineshew is a safer bet (he has had one less season to be ruined).

At a garage sale price, I'd be okay with either of them to see what happens.

• Pie 1

For a team that spent a 3rd on Will Grier (thanks Marty!), a 3rd for Darnold could be a steal.  If nothing else, he's an *actual* capable backup for the next few years unlike Grier.  I'd prefer Minshew if they would deal him at a similar price, but wouldn't hate Darnold instead of mortgaging the future on a guy we're not sold on.  

2 hours ago, AU-panther said:

I wouldn't agree with that at all. Are you really going to tell me that a coach and a GM purposefully lost games so that they could also lose their jobs and set up the next 2 guys for success? Man o' man. Where do you guys get this tanking stuff from? Is it a millennial thing? Too many participation trophies? This stuff just drives me crazy. Maybe I'm just old now but when I was coming up if anyone even suggested losing for next season they'd get socked in the mouth. 

• Pie 2