• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If we land Fields do we give him the #1 jersey?

Gipetto

Should fields get the #1 jersey if we draft him?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Should fields get the #1 jersey if we draft him?

• yes
    • no
    • Too soon

Just now, Manna said:

It would do him (Fields) a disservice for accepting #1 because he’ll infinitely be compared to the last person who donned the number. For example, Bradberry wearing 24 after Norman’s exit. 

He already wears #1 because of Cam.   

Ultimately it is only symbolic but the last thing the team should be doing is bringing in negative publicity when it is already in a downward trajectory. Until the Panthers have restored some semblance of actual legitimacy again certain jerseys should remain off limits. Build it back right and focus on not being a joke in our own division for awhile for starters.

8 minutes ago, Aquemini said:

Yeah. Last year. When NE had a league high number of opt outs and their only decent receiver played 6 games.

Edelman had a career game high in receiving yards with Cam.

And Cam, minus COVID, stayed healthy all year. We let Cam go not because he wasn't good when healthy but because he wasn't staying healthy .

Running the ball, 600 yards, 12 TD, Cam looked like vintage Cam. Had total trash WR, TE, I wonder why his passing numbers were down.

He’s done as a legit starter, man. I’ll never forget his prime here but that ship has sailed. Even if he was a fraction of what he used to be he doesn’t play for Carolina anymore. You’ll sleep better at night when you start living in reality.

If Fields asks for it, sure.

51 is the only number I'm *sure* is retired.  I believe there is an unspoken, unwritten agreement that 89 and 90 don't go out.  I expect we'll see the same with 59.

I suspect the Panthers will hand out #1 if we draft Fields and if Fields asks for it.  The split was not handled super well, and it's still pretty new.  With the bevy of advisors that draft picks have these days, I expect that Fields will be advised to contact Cam in order to prevent an all out fiasco.  I expect Cam will bless the request and we'll all move on.

I’m not sensitive enough to care about numbers. If the team doesn’t want people to wear it then they should retire it. Justin Fields has a good enough head on his shoulders I’m sure he’d ask Cam himself if he had a problem with it and he would respect his wishes.