• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"I'll be shocked if it's not Mac Jones to 49ers."

I was going to make a thread quoting a recent PFF article, but it fits in here too so I'll just put it here...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/29/kyle-shanahan-on-scouting-mac-jones-you-dont-have-to-hide-as-much-drafting-third/

The moment the 49ers traded up to third in next month’s draft, their intentions became clear: San Francisco will draft a quarterback.

The 49ers aren’t disputing that.

“To move up to 3, we had to feel good there’d be three guys we’d feel comfortable leading our team for a long time,” 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said, via Cam Inman of bayareanewsgroup.com. “There’s a chance to get there with four or five. There’s five guys that are kind of at this party.”

Who will that quarterback be?

Shanahan, who doesn’t “like going to pro days,” is attending Alabama’s pro day Tuesday to watch Mac Jones.

It was important, Shanahan noted Monday, for the team not to tip its hand until the trade was completed.

“Now that you’re up at three, you don’t have to hide as much,” Shanahan said, via Albert Breer of SI.com.

This is so blatantly obvious to me that they're taking Jones, based on how he answered the questions. With system fits, it's gotta be Lawrence, Wilson and Jones as their top 3, with the first 2 almost certain to be gone.

19 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

So that means, Lance and Fields are going to be available. 

I really think ATL will go defense unless someone trades up with them.  CIN is going either OT or Chase, since Burrow has been pushing for him with the front office.  They should go OT but they might pick Chase.  

then it’s really just Miami and Detroit.  I have no idea what they will do.  Miami is probably trying to trade down again to collect those sweet picks.  This is gonna be the most interesting draft I can remember in the top 10.  I’m just hoping that we can have our choice of either Fields or Lance at 8.  I prefer Lance, but I wouldn’t be upset with Fields.  Fingers crossed, if Jones really goes at 3 then things could fall our way 

13 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

then it’s really just Miami and Detroit.  I have no idea what they will do.  Miami is probably trying to trade down again to collect those sweet picks. 

Why would the Fins trade down when they traded up to acquire the 6th pick (after trading down from the 3rd). They deffo wanna make sure they can pick either Penei or one of the top receiving threats.

• Pie 1

*IF* all of the "Jones to the 49'ers" smoke is actually a fire and it happens, the draft would suddenly become super interesting.  I still think Atlanta takes their QB of the future, but it at least gives us some hope that one of those guys drops.  Detroit also scares me.

3 minutes ago, Memphis said:

Why would the Fins trade down when they traded up to acquire the 6th pick (after trading down from the 3rd). They deffo wanna make sure they can pick either Penei or one of the top receiving threats.

They have been trading machines, and with Pitts, Waddle, Smith, and Chase all being viable options with another trade down, it wouldn’t surprise me if a team like Denver gave them another future first rounder to move up for a QB.  They’d be able to get one of their weapons and still get a haul for the future. 

I guess I shouldn’t have said they will “probably” trade down again, but it wouldn’t shock me at all if they do 

48 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

So that means, Lance and Fields are going to be available. 

I think what it says more than not is that Fields is slipping in the eyes of teams and Lance looks to be like a long time project.  Both probably too rich for their blood.  Mac can probably start pretty close after the season has started.  If we draft Lance then I hope we have a damn good plan to develop him.  I am not sure why Fields is all of a sudden dropping but its kindof weird.  Maybe teams are finally digging into his tape and seeing the slow progressions.   I dont know

26 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

I really think ATL will go defense unless someone trades up with them.  CIN is going either OT or Chase, since Burrow has been pushing for him with the front office.  They should go OT but they might pick Chase.  

then it’s really just Miami and Detroit.  I have no idea what they will do.  Miami is probably trying to trade down again to collect those sweet picks.  This is gonna be the most interesting draft I can remember in the top 10.  I’m just hoping that we can have our choice of either Fields or Lance at 8.  I prefer Lance, but I wouldn’t be upset with Fields.  Fingers crossed, if Jones really goes at 3 then things could fall our way 

They should, but they are sending out QB vibes.  I really do not get it--the #4 QB in this draft is not worth the #4 pick, and they have many other needs and a serviceable QB.  I am going to make a longshot prediction and say the take Chase WR or Sewell T

6 minutes ago, BrianS said:

*IF* all of the "Jones to the 49'ers" smoke is actually a fire and it happens, the draft would suddenly become super interesting.  I still think Atlanta takes their QB of the future, but it at least gives us some hope that one of those guys drops.  Detroit also scares me.

Both ATL and Det have qb's on the books for 2 more years.  It would be insanely stupid to draft a qb in the top 10 and essentially bench him for 2 seasons especially considering Ryan is playing well and Goff was the #1 pick and probably just needs different coaching,

• Beer 1
  • Flames 2