• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"I'll be shocked if it's not Mac Jones to 49ers."

14 hours ago, BrianS said:

*IF* all of the "Jones to the 49'ers" smoke is actually a fire and it happens, the draft would suddenly become super interesting.  I still think Atlanta takes their QB of the future, but it at least gives us some hope that one of those guys drops.  Detroit also scares me.

IDK about the Lions taking a QB this year. They just traded for Jared Goff, who was the number 1 overall pick just a few years ago and has led his team to the Super Bowl and deep into the playoffs. I imagine they see what they have with him for at least 1 season before taking a QB in round 1. They probably go o-line or WR.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, joemac said:

IDK about the Lions taking a QB this year. They just traded for Jared Goff, who was the number 1 overall pick just a few years ago and has led his team to the Super Bowl and deep into the playoffs. I imagine they see what they have with him for at least 1 season before taking a QB in round 1. They probably go o-line or WR.

Follow the money.

If a big armed, athletic, but raw QB were to fall to them, they have Goff as the starter for this year.  Rookie gets to learn under Goff, not be rushed to the field, and next season DET can keep or cut Goff depending on how he plays.  He costs them the same if he's on the roster or not after this season.

They could absolutely be in the game for a "project", and it would be damn smart to be honest.  They aren't winning that division for a couple years either way, may as well plan for the future and build it correctly.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

Follow the money.

If a big armed, athletic, but raw QB were to fall to them, they have Goff as the starter for this year.  Rookie gets to learn under Goff, not be rushed to the field, and next season DET can keep or cut Goff depending on how he plays.  He costs them the same if he's on the roster or not after this season.

They could absolutely be in the game for a "project", and it would be damn smart to be honest.  They aren't winning that division for a couple years either way, may as well plan for the future and build it correctly.

Goff is on the books for 2 more years.  They ain't cutting him.  That's stupid to even suggest 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

Here's how it will shake out...

1. Jags - Lawrence

2. Jets - Wilson

3. SF - Jones

4. Atl - Parsons

5. Cinn - Sewell

6. Mia - Chase

7. Det - Waddle

8. Den - Fields

9. Car - Lance + Denver's 2nd.

ATL is not taking a LB with the 4th pick. 

That would be insanity. 

40 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Goff is on the books for 2 more years.  They ain't cutting him.  That's stupid to even suggest 

Goff costs the same to keep or cut after this season.

If they choose, they can lower his cap by 50% next season by designating him as a June 1 cut....so instead of him counting 30M against the cap in 22, he would count 15, "saving" them 15M in cap hit that season...keep in mind the cap is likely to balloon with the new TV deals.

Meaning DET could have Fields as the starter in 23' while paying a total of about 20M in starting QB pay.  Goff's 15M, and Fields' 5.5-6M cap hit.

But sure, stick your flag in the ground.

• Beer 1

20 hours ago, PandaMan said:

I really think ATL will go defense unless someone trades up with them.  CIN is going either OT or Chase, since Burrow has been pushing for him with the front office.  They should go OT but they might pick Chase.  

then it’s really just Miami and Detroit.  I have no idea what they will do.  Miami is probably trying to trade down again to collect those sweet picks.  This is gonna be the most interesting draft I can remember in the top 10.  I’m just hoping that we can have our choice of either Fields or Lance at 8.  I prefer Lance, but I wouldn’t be upset with Fields.  Fingers crossed, if Jones really goes at 3 then things could fall our way 

ATL just restructured Matty Ice to all but guarantee he's their starter for the next 2 years; $65.4M dead money in 2021, and $40.5M in 2022. If Miami really wanted a QB, they'd have stayed at 3. Goff has dead money of $40.8M and $30.5M, so I don't really see them going QB. BUT, if we wanted to be sure, I wouldn't mind seeing what Miami wanted for #6.

56 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Goff costs the same to keep or cut after this season.

If they choose, they can lower his cap by 50% next season by designating him as a June 1 cut....so instead of him counting 30M against the cap in 22, he would count 15, "saving" them 15M in cap hit that season...keep in mind the cap is likely to balloon with the new TV deals.

Meaning DET could have Fields as the starter in 23' while paying a total of about 20M in starting QB pay.  Goff's 15M, and Fields' 5.5-6M cap hit.

But sure, stick your flag in the ground.

Maybe I a reading it wrong but Goff has a dead cap hit of 30 mil for 2022