• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I found this interesting re: first round QBs

Zod

I give up in hoping for any QB. Each day i read something that makes me like Fields, Lance or even Jones being supposedly pro ready but then i read something that throws up a red flag. God im glad I dont have to make this decision. Chances are some of the 5 or 6 first QB's taken are going to be huge busts and cause some to lose some jobs. Im going to just sit back and root for whoever we decide to take hoping they dont turn out to be one of the huge busts. Whoever we pick obviously some will hate and crap on for years while others will support no matter what so it will be just like years past and feel like home either way.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, CmC2k said:

I compare Fields and lance to chocolate and raisin cookies. One is gonna be a sweet chocolate one and the others gonna be a nasty raisin one. You have to chose which one is the chocolate and who's the raisin. While Mac jones is the healthy bland tasting salad and Lawrence and Wilson are the expensive desserts you can't afford.   

I'm not sure I trust your opinion on cookies. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

The two big concerns I'd have with Lawrence if we were in the game for him are:

a) that offence is gimmicky as poo. So much of it is based off screens, misdirection and RPO with superior athletes.

b) his inconsistent ball placement when throwing downfield. 

That stat right there backs up a). 

I think this way:  "Trevor could be great, but everyone is treating him like the next great thing.  He has some flaws that could be problematic at the next level.  He could bust.  I hope we are having tacos tonight. Where are my meds?"

8 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It means nothing if the QBs also have arms and have shown deep ball skills. Teddy showed us that he preferred to check down and couldn’t throw a consistently good deep ball.

Yeah I agree with this. This is one of those stats that needs human analysis to draw any conclusions. Herbert threw screens and check downs because Oregon had no NFL talent at WR or TE and one of the greatest screen game LT's you will ever see in Sewell.

Teddy had an above average WR corp but threw check downs because he doesnt trust his arm and being a gun slinger isnt his mentality. 

• Pie 2

43 minutes ago, MrPickles said:

Teddy had an above average WR corp but threw check downs because he doesnt trust his arm and being a gun slinger isnt his mentality. 

Yep, we witnessed it time and again in 2020.  When the game is on the line Teddy defaults to the safe play, taking what a defense will give him, rather than attempting a higher risk game winning play.  TB is the anti-clutch QB.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Yep, we witnessed it time and again in 2020.  When the game is on the line Teddy defaults to the safe play, taking what a defense will give him, rather than attempting a higher risk game winning play.  TB is the anti-clutch QB.

that's why Teddy is so infuriating.  he has the ability to do so much more than he does, as he regularly shows early in games and often between the 20s.  but he just seems unable to trust himself, or the players around him, or the coaches, or whatever... he can't get it done.

Teddy isn't terrible because he's bad at QB, he's terrible as an option for us because he is anti-clutch, and if you want to win in the NFL, you need to be clutch.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, CmC2k said:

I compare Fields and lance to chocolate and raisin cookies. One is gonna be a sweet chocolate one and the others gonna be a nasty raisin one. You have to chose which one is the chocolate and who's the raisin. While Mac jones is the healthy bland tasting salad and Lawrence and Wilson are the expensive desserts you can't afford.   

Hey pal sounds like you need to try some of my homemade oatmeal cookies 

Clemson is known under Elliott as a heavy RPO scheme. Brady learned under one of the notable names associated with the concept in Joe Moorehead. He's one of the higher profile faces of the RPO now and was hired at LSU specifically for it.

This seems a result of the OC and play calling then anything. If your OC is a prominent proponent of the RPO then you it might behoove you to look at QBs with a proficiency and experience with it.

Edited by Moo Daeng
  • Pie 1