• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I found this interesting re: first round QBs

Zod

4 hours ago, Varking said:

PFF has Fields as the most accurate passer in the class, best deep ball in the class and uses screens the least of all the top QBs in the class. He had two bad games against the top defenses in the country during weeks his team didn’t really practice and they weren’t sure who was going to be available and who wasn’t. He’s a great kid and a great thrower of the football. If we can get him without giving up a ton we need to go for it. 

5 hours ago, OldhamA said:

The two big concerns I'd have with Lawrence if we were in the game for him are:

a) that offence is gimmicky as poo. So much of it is based off screens, misdirection and RPO with superior athletes.

b) his inconsistent ball placement when throwing downfield. 

That stat right there backs up a). 

I almost feel like the gimmicky offense held Lawrence back.  He wasn't able to just get back and rip it as much as alot of other teams would have had him doing.  He was too busy with all the fancy ball tricks and misdirection they were trying.

1 hour ago, rmoneyg35 said:

I think the problem I have with fields is how so many QBs from Ohio state haven’t done poo in the NFL despite looking great in college. We atleast have seen good QBs from Clemson and Alabama 

Bama QBs from the 60s don't even count.    No QB from Bama in recent decades has been a legit NFL starter yet. 

and it's only Watson from Clemson. 

I think the problem is less Ohio St QBs...than it is QBs that ran Urban Meyer's offense.  Which isn't Fields.  He is a Day guy.   

3 hours ago, mav1234 said:

that's why Teddy is so infuriating.  he has the ability to do so much more than he does, as he regularly shows early in games and often between the 20s.  but he just seems unable to trust himself, or the players around him, or the coaches, or whatever... he can't get it done.

Teddy isn't terrible because he's bad at QB, he's terrible as an option for us because he is anti-clutch, and if you want to win in the NFL, you need to be clutch.

Agree 100%.  Teddy in the first three quarters last year was decent to good.  Teddy in the fourth qtr, and especially the last 3-4 minutes of the fourth was not good at all.  

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, OldhamA said:

a) that offence is gimmicky as poo. So much of it is based off screens, misdirection and RPO with superior athletes.

The RPO isn't gimmicky. It's quite mainstream.

7 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Don’t have poo to do with his talent. Blame the coaching staff. Same offense Deshaun ran. When Trevor had to throw it, he put the ball on a rope 9/10 times. 

13 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

The RPO isn't gimmicky. It's quite mainstream.

I'm not saying it's gimmicky - I'm saying it in conjunction with a boatload of screens and misdirection is gimmicky.

It doesn't require much arm talent to run that offence - and the reads aren't difficult either. 

I'm not blaming Lawrence or Sweeney, I'm just saying.

I also hate playing it every other year because they have better athletes than we do.