• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Come to Grips with Reality

Troys99x4

7 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

The defense wasn't good last year. We were good when we blitzed and pressed  and sucked when we went zone and rushed 3. It was a case of the stats looking better than the results. And it wasn't bad coaching it was a college coach learning to get better in the NFL. His 3-5-3 concept wasn't that great in the NFL. Guys like Chinn and Burns made it look better than it was 

And Garoppollo's problems are injury related not skill. Through 8 games in 2020 his record is 24-8. He took them to a Superbowl in 2019 and would be solid if he could stay healthy. And once again you use a true exception to the rule in Wilson to justify starting a rookie despite the overwhelming evidence to show it is best to give them time to learn the game. You aren't alone though many folks including NFL execs make the same mistake every year 

The D improved by leaps throughout the year despite limited roster with positives, looked good at times and showed a lot to look forward to. Even with the additions so far this offseason, it's looking like another step in the right direction. Our D outplayed our O last year, as a unit and statistically. Link Brady has some prove it to do this year. I hope he does but so far it's TBD at best. Snow proved a lot of my fears about him wrong.

Garoppollo is a backup level QB that the 49ers overpaid for. The fact he had to sit for 6 months after being in the league 3 years should have been a huge red flag. Really weird hill to try and defend. He had one year where he played 16 games and at the age of 28 and he looked like an area where that team could improve even if he could stay healthy, his 6th year in the NFL. Link

31 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

That's simply not true.  Making quick decisions or reading defense has nothing to do with race.  I can remember a qb who got hammered for it a few years ago.  Josh Allen.  Another more recent one was Justin Herbert.  It is only tied to race if you make it that way.

Nah, it is true. Allen and Herbert were knocked for accuracy issues. Herbert was dinged for poor mechanics as well. Not decision making or defense reads. 

3 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

That's simply not true.  Making quick decisions or reading defense has nothing to do with race.  I can remember a qb who got hammered for it a few years ago.  Josh Allen.  Another more recent one was Justin Herbert.  It is only tied to race if you make it that way.

it shouldnt have anything to do with race but thats what the foundation of the NFL believes. 

3 hours ago, YourLastThought said:

Oh god here we go........Do you also get tired of them mentioning "unathletic white guy" for white QB's as well? I mean by all means let's be consistent here and admit these crap stereotypes exist on all levels but I'm probably bad for mentioning the latter correct? That's how this game works isn't it? Josh Allen I think was criticized for the same thing recently wasn't he? As well as a slew of other QB's but the ones we could also name don't quote fit the narrative agenda we are trying to push does it? Let's just bury our heads in the sand and pretend the other guys don't exist then huh.

nobody saying those guys are unathletic cause they're white though, they are just not athletic, that goes for teddy bridgewater too. the stigma for black qbs is decades old and is still prevalent today in its own passive aggressive way. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

6 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Stop the race-baiting. We were willing to give up the farm for Watson and he is black.  Meanwhile the knock on Darnold is he can't read defenses and makes poor decisions and he is white.  Not only is your insinuation offensive but very inaccurate. 

im speaking on the history of the NFL and black qbs, speaking of race in the NFL makes you uncomfortable but dont pretend its never been a problem. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

3 hours ago, @bonafidebanter said:

Nah, it is true. Allen and Herbert were knocked for accuracy issues. Herbert was dinged for poor mechanics as well. Not decision making or defense reads. 

thank you. decision making, reading defenses is all apart of the mental. its just a passive aggressive way of saying not smart enough. then you have the subconsciously being uncomfortable with a black guy being in charge. 

• Poo 1

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/the-conversation/sdut-panthers-qb-cam-newton-racism-stance-backlash-2016aug15-htmlstory.html

i'll just leave this here.

carolina panthers fans for the most part are cool, but there has always been this subset of fans (i call them the Ford F150 fans) who are very cringe when met with the topic of race. and im putting that nicely.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

9 hours ago, @bonafidebanter said:

It is 100% true.  Go back and look at some of their scouting reports online.  I went back and checked them to make sure before I mentioned them.

On 3/30/2021 at 2:35 PM, Troys99x4 said:

I did somewhat believe the Mac Jones to SF hype, but after watching the two QB's throw today there is no way SF lets Fields get away from them.

Our QB options will come down to Lance or Jones. BPA seems like the most logical thing in my mind, OT or trade back a few sports for a CB.

Better luck next year. Or maybe just be more aggressive in finding your guy?

Shanahan has had success with 2 QBs in the past--Elway, Young.  Jones does not fit that mold.  You have to think he has a "type"

13 hours ago, Tinamedina said:

im speaking on the history of the NFL and black qbs, speaking of race in the NFL makes you uncomfortable but dont pretend its never been a problem. 

There are lots of problems out there that need to be addressed but you didn't talk about race in historical terms you were specifically talking about the current crop of college prospects and playing the race card. Trust me I lived through the Chicago riots, the southern marches and actually met Dr. King. I could tell you a lot about those times you have no clue about. 

Be careful backpedalling so fast that you fall and hurt yourself.

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Shanahan has had success with 2 QBs in the past--Elway, Young.  Jones does not fit that mold.  You have to think he has a "type"

That's Mike's type.  

Kyle's type seems to be in the Kirk Cousins type.  Tried to get Cousins to SF via trade.  Jimmy G is that type guy and did get him. .  Mac Jones is that type guy.   Prior to SF he had success with Matt Ryan. 

• Pie 1

22 hours ago, panthers55 said:

There are lots of problems out there that need to be addressed but you didn't talk about race in historical terms you were specifically talking about the current crop of college prospects and playing the race card. Trust me I lived through the Chicago riots, the southern marches and actually met Dr. King. I could tell you a lot about those times you have no clue about. 

Be careful backpedalling so fast that you fall and hurt yourself.

Yes please tell me, a black person about race problems, I clearly dont have any personal experience. The fact that you dont see how insulting that statement is, is very telling. Talking about marching with dr. King and then using a term like "race card"? Press the reset button bruh.

Edited by Tinamedina
  • Poo 1