• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who do you love?

Mr. Scot

I watched Wilson play 2 games this year and by the 2nd series of the 1st game I thought he was the best of the QB in this draft outside of Lawrence.  Maybe even including Lawrence.  Everyone else has questions.  I just don't get how everyone can think a guy who has started 1 season at an FCS school is a top 5 pick.  He had a great year but even if he had started in the ACC or SEC I would still be a little scared to pick him top 5.  Maybe a little later in the first round I would not have a problem but he has to learn alot before you can plan on starting him.

I know Cam had only 1 year of starting at Auburn and that worked out pretty good but Mark Sanchez only started 1 year at USC and not so much for him.  It works both ways.  At 15 or 20 I could get behind Lance but at 8?  When you have a chance to draft a guy in the top 10 you want something you can depend on at least to be good.  Jordan Gross, Luke, Peppers, CMC.  Lance may be better than all the other QB's drafted before him he just scares me 

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I doubt he has Lance last. If he does, it's because of Lance's real or perceived need for development (which is his biggest knock). I have read that Lance can fit any system. I've also read that he would be great for Brady's system because he can push the ball down field with relative ease.

Development is part of it.  Like I said, he is IMO the most difficult for Joe Brady to just plug into what he is doing.  Joe Brady and Rhule got different goals.  Brady is trying to advance.  Rhule is focused on building something here (with or without Brady). 

and Lance for all his talent is not a very accurate passer.   Doubtful he will become that anytime soon as he takes a massive jump in competition.  Windows get even smaller.  I still think Joe Brady is looking to move on sooner rather than later.  

This Mac Jones to the 49ers crap sounds like it has some real legs. If that happens either Lance or Fields should be there at 8 (possibly both). So I hope to baby Jesus the Panthers love the one remaining. Then again it may be time for me to stop sipping the Chris Simms koolaid. 

• Beer 1

15 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Kudos if you read the title in George Thorogood's singing voice. In truth though, the question is about who the Panthers love.

A few days back, Joe Person stated that the Panthers weren't all that enthralled with any of the quarterbacks outside the top two.

In his mailbag today, Albert Breer hinted that the Panthers don't necessarily "love" all of the top five quarterbacks, saying that whether or not we'd be willing to trade up for someone who fell out of the first four or five picks was dependent on whether it was a quarterback we were really interested in.

Breer didn't often offer any specifics as to who we loved and who we didn't. Plus it's worth noting that Person's comments were made before Justin Fields Pro Day.

So the question that I would then ask regarding the top five quarterbacks (Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance and Jones) is this: Who do you think the Panthers love, and who do they not?

I read it in the tones of Duran Duran.

”Come Undone” seems particularly apropos in the wake of the Watson fiasco. Panthers are still trying to figure it out for themselves.

• Pie 1

So many people keep trying to compare Fields to players like Cam, Vick, RG3, etc . . . they are completely missing who Fields is.  Fields can actually THROW the ball well.  No, he doesn't have that absolute CANNON that Newton did . . . but he doesn't need it.  He has an above average NFL arm.  There should honestly be no physical questions about Justin Fields.

My only concern for the player is whether he can put it all together above the shoulders.  I've seen flashes.  When he is on he can LIGHT IT UP.  But I understand the questions and concerns.

I like him.  I'd like us to take him if he's available.  Way more than Lance.  If you have questions about Fields, you should have four times the questions about Lance.

Lawrence and Wilson are the two who seem very clear.  After that, waters get muddy.

4 hours ago, KSpan said:

I do like how from forever it's been the 'Top 4', but in the past week or two has turned into the 'Top 5'.

I hate it personally.

NFL fans universally hate when you "reach" for guys at any position. That is until it comes to QBs.

When it comes to QBs, guys are like single fellas coming back to the states after a 12 month war tour willing to take any port in the storm no matter how many red flags there are.

There is a lot to like about all of these guys, but there are a ton of red flags too. If this was 15 years ago we'd have 3 of these guys in the Top 10, and 1-2 in the mid to late first round.

I'm okay sticking at 8, and ending up with Lance, but I'm not okay trading up for him, and I'm not okay with going Jones. The value is not there.

9 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

I hate it personally.

NFL fans universally hate when you "reach" for guys at any position. That is until it comes to QBs.

When it comes to QBs, guys are like single fellas coming back to the states after a 12 month war tour willing to take any port in the storm no matter how many red flags there are.

There is a lot to like about all of these guys, but there are a ton of red flags too. If this was 15 years ago we'd have 3 of these guys in the Top 10, and 1-2 in the mid to late first round.

I'm okay sticking at 8, and ending up with Lance, but I'm not okay trading up for him, and I'm not okay with going Jones. The value is not there.

I get annoyed seeing people talk about mediocre quarterbacks having great workouts.

For quarterbacks who look good in actual games like Wilson and Fields, a workout or a pro day just solidifies what you already knew.

Yet every year, I see people ooing and aahing over guys that didn't look like anything special (Mond, for example) having a good workout, only to later see those guys wash out of the NFL.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2