• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What are we doing in the draft?

6 minutes ago, joemac said:

Which, historically, has failed to produce any relevant NFL talent.  It is a concern.

So did LSU before Burrow, Texas Tech before Mahomes, Clemson before Watson, Wisconsin before Russ, Louisville before Jackson, Auburn before Cam...... 

• Pie 3
10 minutes ago, joemac said:

This is probably a dumb idea, but if Chase were still on the board at 8, I would have to think long and hard about taking him.  I know, its hardly a position of need, but I think Chase has All-Pro written all over him.

Not dumb at all. I think he is the 3rd best prospect in this class, potentially a future all-pro, and it allows us to move on from Robbie to keep from paying him and DJ next offseason. Remember, money saved from not re-signing Robbie can be used for a different FA, win/win. Obviously QB is our top need, and should be priority, but if not available then no problem picking best available. 

• Pie 3

Is there really serious thought that Fields or Lance can actually fall that far?  I mean, I'm on board, I am just struggling to see how they fall to us.

13 hours ago, Captain Morgan said:

Verge has also said Washington will be aggressive in moving up for a QB.  I really hope one of the big 4 falls to us and if we take him and he flops, I'm ok with that.  You have to take a chance on a franchise QB when you have it.  

After that, OT or Pitts, but I don't think Pitts is getting past the Falcons.  They still have a franchise QB who could play 4 or 5 years, I think they try to win with him now.

Ready for the dadgum draft to get here already.  

I agree 100% with this sentiment. Teddy is not it. I knew that before last season which is why I wanted to "tank." Before Wilson emerged, we already knew that you had Lawrence and Fields at the top and Lance was a very interesting prospect.

If the rookie QB bites it hard, well them we are right back at the top for another run. If they hit, we would have had tons of cap, tons of comp picks and high draft slots in every other round, likely in 2022 as well. We've got a lot of really good young players, who unfortunately might not all be extended due to a 2020 splurge, but if we hit on a rookie QB we will be in great shape.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I say we pass on Fields and Trask if they are available at 8..  Take best player available at 8 ( that's not a wide receiver )  O Line, Secondary hopefully  ,  and look for Kyle Trask , QB out of Florida in 2nd or 3rd round. 

I'd really like to get Sam Darnel from the Jets.  

YOU NEED A QB THAT IS THE FRANCHISE..  not a "game manager " 

42 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

Sounding like more and more teams have concerns about Fields' ability to process and make progressions. He looked good in the underwear Olympics, but he may indeed be available when we pick. Of course, if he is Dwayne Haskins Part 2, no thanks. 

Yeah, that is the word.  I spoke to my brother in law who is an Ohio St grad and still lives in Columbus--he is in the know---he said that there are reasons that the QBs have struggled in the pros there--from not having time to develop them to systems to simply not having the skill set--however, he says that Fields is different.  He can go through progressions, but worries that he could struggle at the pro level because it necessitates a faster processing time and the NFL defenses are very confusing pre-snap.  So he gives Fields a 50% chance of being Cam II, 50% chance of being converted to slot WR (he was joking).  About Cam--he added that Cam was less accurate than he expects Fields to be, and the reason Cam took so many (career-ending?) hits was as much OL as it was slow processing.  These great athletes always know they can run and their legs have always bailed them out when there is nothing open-and when you are slow at processing in the pros--nothing is open.  However, running turns negative plays into positive plays, so everyone cheers and overlooks it.  Like a slow drip, however, hits add up.  And (his words) when the legs go and you have a running, inaccurate QB, they hit the wall and are done--like a RB. 

So his in-depth look at Fields and his comparison to Cam and processing speed was interesting.  Prolly just speaking my language, and he is not an expert--but funny that he said that about CAM.  When I started to object, he said, "I get it, and you could be right--you could also be biased and emotional where I am not."

He said Myers (C) is very smart, G Wyatt Davis is ready to start and make the pro bowl, The LBs are good but not in coverage, and he really likes a sleeper DT  Tommy Togiai. 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 4
  • Flames 1
22 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Truth ^^^^

I know that Fields is not Haskins. My point was, if he has issues that are not correctable in the NFL, we are better off drafting one of the other studs who will be sitting there at 8. If Fields is still there at 8, a bunch of teams have those concerns. 

Look, if we draft him I hope he is the best thing since sliced bread and he leads us to the SB every year. I'm just letting you know there are concerns out there about him. 

• Pie 2
18 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Is there really serious thought that Fields or Lance can actually fall that far?  I mean, I'm on board, I am just struggling to see how they fall to us.

Absolutely. If SF really is serious about Jones (Simms is friends with Shanahan, so even if he doesn't "know", he knows his system) then 1 or both could easily fall. Jones going 3 is a huge lynchpin followed by Atlanta getting say Pitts as a weapon for Ryan. The Dolphins traded out of the 3rd pick, which makes it extremely unlikely they'd take a QB. The Lions have a ton of money in Goff for at least 2 years and likely want to at least see what they have and the Bengals aren't going QB. All 3 of them could trade down and it would be much cheaper for us to move up 1 or 2 spots.

Also, if Jones goes 3, then Sewell (or Slater depending on who you believe), Chase and Pitts are studs a level above the rest. That would mean Fields or Lance or both are available at 8. Our 3rd round pick or even 2022 3rd and 2021 5th would be enough to move up to 7 and Detroit would take that freebie knowing we'd go QB and they'd still get who they want. Our 3rd would also be enough to move up to 6th if Miami just wants another freebie knowing we go QB and if they have 2 guys in mind at 6 they are guaranteed. Probably takes out 2nd to get to 5 and with Burrow, I think Cincy stays put to get him Chase, Pitts or Sewell/Slater.

• Pie 2
3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Yeah, that is the word.  I spoke to my brother in law who is an Ohio St grad and still lives in Columbus--he is in the know---he said that there are reasons that the QBs have struggled in the pros there--from not having time to develop them to systems to simply not having the skill set--however, he says that Fields is different.  He can go through progressions, but worries that he could struggle at the pro level because it necessitates a faster processing time and the NFL defenses are very confusing pre-snap.  So he gives Fields a 50% chance of being Cam II, 50% chance of being converted to slot WR (he was joking).  About Cam--he added that Cam was less accurate than he expects Fields to be, and the reason Cam took so many (career-ending?) hits was as much OL as it was slow processing.  These great athletes always know they can run and their legs have always bailed them out when there is nothing open-and when you are slow at processing in the pros--nothing is open.  However, running turns negative plays into positive plays, so everyone cheers and overlooks it.  Like a slow drip, however, hits add up.  And (his words) when the legs go and you have a running, inaccurate QB, they hit the wall and are done--like a RB. 

So his in-depth look at Fields and his comparison to Cam and processing speed was interesting.  Prolly just speaking my language, and he is not an expert--but funny that he said that about CAM.  When I started to object, he said, "I get it, and you could be right--you could also be biased and emotional where I am not.

Awesome post, brother. Good insight from someone closer to the situation than we are. 

• Pie 1
32 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

So did LSU before Burrow, Texas Tech before Mahomes, Clemson before Watson, Wisconsin before Russ, Louisville before Jackson, Auburn before Cam...... 

You forgot the single greatest example. Jeff Tedford QBs before Aaron Rodgers. It's one of the big reasons that Rodgers dropped. The long list of Tedford QBs that didn't succeed, well until one did.

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

You forgot the single greatest example. Jeff Tedford QBs before Aaron Rodgers. It's one of the big reasons that Rodgers dropped. The long list of Tedford QBs that didn't succeed, well until one did.

I thought about that but Goff was also at Cali I know he is just meh... You could do Tennessee with Manning, NC State with Rivers, Miami Oh with Big Ben...

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I thought about that but Goff was also at Cali I know he is just meh... You could do Tennessee with Manning, NC State with Rivers, Miami Oh with Big Ben...

Goff wasn't a Tedford guy so Cal was a different place/system. Same school doesn't really matter unless it's the same system like Meyers or his understudies at Florida and OSU. These were the Tedford QBs that were drafted very high before Rodgers:

Dilfer (6th overall)

Akili Smith (3rd)

Carr (1st)

Harrington (3rd)

Boller (19th)

Rodgers (24th)

Smith to Boller was over 5 drafts, so 2 years after Boller, the Tedford QB label absolutely dropped Rodgers because those first 4 went in the top 6 picks and outside of a SB win carried by one of the greatest Ds of all time, they sucked as QBs. Boller cemented that but even he wasn't drafted as high. The Golden Calf of Bristol, Jones, Haskins and Fields makes sense because it's Meyer's system and well, I don't think he's produced a successful NFL QB yet, has he? Fields may have had a great pro-day, but like Rodgers, it wouldn't shock me at all if he falls. He isn't falling to 24, but I could see him at 8 and we'd have a big decision to make.

• Beer 1
10 hours ago, @bonafidebanter said:

I feel you, but I would not want ATL to grab him. Can you imagine what their weapons would look like then? Scary for a few years to come. Good luck with that.

I hear ya but I am more concerned with what the Panthers do than what another team does.