• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What are we doing in the draft?

Verge

6 minutes ago, joemac said:

Which, historically, has failed to produce any relevant NFL talent.  It is a concern.

So did LSU before Burrow, Texas Tech before Mahomes, Clemson before Watson, Wisconsin before Russ, Louisville before Jackson, Auburn before Cam...... 

• Pie 3

10 minutes ago, joemac said:

This is probably a dumb idea, but if Chase were still on the board at 8, I would have to think long and hard about taking him.  I know, its hardly a position of need, but I think Chase has All-Pro written all over him.

Not dumb at all. I think he is the 3rd best prospect in this class, potentially a future all-pro, and it allows us to move on from Robbie to keep from paying him and DJ next offseason. Remember, money saved from not re-signing Robbie can be used for a different FA, win/win. Obviously QB is our top need, and should be priority, but if not available then no problem picking best available. 

• Pie 3

I say we pass on Fields and Trask if they are available at 8..  Take best player available at 8 ( that's not a wide receiver )  O Line, Secondary hopefully  ,  and look for Kyle Trask , QB out of Florida in 2nd or 3rd round. 

I'd really like to get Sam Darnel from the Jets.  

YOU NEED A QB THAT IS THE FRANCHISE..  not a "game manager " 

42 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

Sounding like more and more teams have concerns about Fields' ability to process and make progressions. He looked good in the underwear Olympics, but he may indeed be available when we pick. Of course, if he is Dwayne Haskins Part 2, no thanks. 

Yeah, that is the word.  I spoke to my brother in law who is an Ohio St grad and still lives in Columbus--he is in the know---he said that there are reasons that the QBs have struggled in the pros there--from not having time to develop them to systems to simply not having the skill set--however, he says that Fields is different.  He can go through progressions, but worries that he could struggle at the pro level because it necessitates a faster processing time and the NFL defenses are very confusing pre-snap.  So he gives Fields a 50% chance of being Cam II, 50% chance of being converted to slot WR (he was joking).  About Cam--he added that Cam was less accurate than he expects Fields to be, and the reason Cam took so many (career-ending?) hits was as much OL as it was slow processing.  These great athletes always know they can run and their legs have always bailed them out when there is nothing open-and when you are slow at processing in the pros--nothing is open.  However, running turns negative plays into positive plays, so everyone cheers and overlooks it.  Like a slow drip, however, hits add up.  And (his words) when the legs go and you have a running, inaccurate QB, they hit the wall and are done--like a RB. 

So his in-depth look at Fields and his comparison to Cam and processing speed was interesting.  Prolly just speaking my language, and he is not an expert--but funny that he said that about CAM.  When I started to object, he said, "I get it, and you could be right--you could also be biased and emotional where I am not."

He said Myers (C) is very smart, G Wyatt Davis is ready to start and make the pro bowl, The LBs are good but not in coverage, and he really likes a sleeper DT  Tommy Togiai. 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 4
  • Flames 1

22 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Truth ^^^^

I know that Fields is not Haskins. My point was, if he has issues that are not correctable in the NFL, we are better off drafting one of the other studs who will be sitting there at 8. If Fields is still there at 8, a bunch of teams have those concerns. 

Look, if we draft him I hope he is the best thing since sliced bread and he leads us to the SB every year. I'm just letting you know there are concerns out there about him. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Yeah, that is the word.  I spoke to my brother in law who is an Ohio St grad and still lives in Columbus--he is in the know---he said that there are reasons that the QBs have struggled in the pros there--from not having time to develop them to systems to simply not having the skill set--however, he says that Fields is different.  He can go through progressions, but worries that he could struggle at the pro level because it necessitates a faster processing time and the NFL defenses are very confusing pre-snap.  So he gives Fields a 50% chance of being Cam II, 50% chance of being converted to slot WR (he was joking).  About Cam--he added that Cam was less accurate than he expects Fields to be, and the reason Cam took so many (career-ending?) hits was as much OL as it was slow processing.  These great athletes always know they can run and their legs have always bailed them out when there is nothing open-and when you are slow at processing in the pros--nothing is open.  However, running turns negative plays into positive plays, so everyone cheers and overlooks it.  Like a slow drip, however, hits add up.  And (his words) when the legs go and you have a running, inaccurate QB, they hit the wall and are done--like a RB. 

So his in-depth look at Fields and his comparison to Cam and processing speed was interesting.  Prolly just speaking my language, and he is not an expert--but funny that he said that about CAM.  When I started to object, he said, "I get it, and you could be right--you could also be biased and emotional where I am not.

Awesome post, brother. Good insight from someone closer to the situation than we are. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

You forgot the single greatest example. Jeff Tedford QBs before Aaron Rodgers. It's one of the big reasons that Rodgers dropped. The long list of Tedford QBs that didn't succeed, well until one did.

I thought about that but Goff was also at Cali I know he is just meh... You could do Tennessee with Manning, NC State with Rivers, Miami Oh with Big Ben...

10 hours ago, @bonafidebanter said:

I feel you, but I would not want ATL to grab him. Can you imagine what their weapons would look like then? Scary for a few years to come. Good luck with that.

I hear ya but I am more concerned with what the Panthers do than what another team does.  

11 hours ago, Verge said:

If I had to take a random shot in the dark here 

1. Lawrence 
2. Wilson 
3. M.Jones 
4. Pitts 
5. Chase 
6. Trade down or ALA WR 
7. Slater 
8. Fields

Picking at 8, there is a high probability that we will get to choose from some combination of Fields, Lance, Sewell/Slater, Parsons, Surtain.  Thank the football gods that there is a run on QB's at the top of the draft this year, pushing potential pro bowl caliber talent down to 8.  For all 'the sky is falling' Chicken Littles out there, endlessly and boringly bemoaning our meaningless win over WFT, suck it!

Nothing but love,

Bythenbrs

• Pie 4

10 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

Picking at 8, there is a high probability that we will get to choose from some combination of Fields, Lance, Sewell/Slater, Parsons, Surtain.  Thank the football gods that there is a run on QB's at the top of the draft this year, pushing potential pro bowl caliber talent down to 8.  For all 'the sky is falling' Chicken Littles out there, endlessly and boringly bemoaning our meaningless win over WFT, suck it!

Nothing but love,

Bythenbrs

Yep.  Assuming we stay put at 8, we are guaranteed a high impact, stud player at a position of need.  Whether its QB, T, CB, TE or MLB - we are going to get a stud.  And all the QBs going in the top 5 very well could end up being a blessing in disguise.  There are many other ways of getting a good QB besides drafting him in the top 5 of the draft.

• Pie 3

8 hours ago, @bonafidebanter said:

The QB lust is getting sickening. Think about it, of the "top 5" QBs in this draft, how many will actually live up to your projections or hype? How many normally do? We see QBs get hyped up every year and most of them fail. Why would you sweat the 3rd or 4th best QB at 8 when you can get the best OT or weapon there? If 5 QBs are taken before you, trading back from 8 would be absurd unless you're only moving down a few spots to pick up more picks and still get elite talent for your squad. I wish the best for these QBs, but history has shown us that maybe 2 of the 5 will succeed. Let's hope the Panthers will get one of them for your sakes. 

Desperation. It's what happens when you pay a backup quarterback starter money the same year you move on from a former franchise player and end up with egg on your face.