• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What are we doing in the draft?

Verge

1 hour ago, Verge said:

I got clarity about Darnold on Saturday. Didn't leave much room for speculation lol

I still think we could go QB, but it is much more likely we got get a CB or olineman.

I think a #1 CB is our biggest need at this time, depending on how one feels about Darnold.  I hate the idea of Erving at LT, and I think a decent LT prospect is there in round 2.  There are some tackles in the second round, but no #1 CBs.

If we get a #1 CB, it immediately makes Jackson better, because he can now cover the less established WR.  In the NFC South, that means we have a better player on Jones, Thomas, and Evans, for example--that makes a huge difference, moving Action Jackson to the #2.

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

He actually had a decent year 2 after a pretty typical rookie year on pretty bad teams with a mediocre coach. Year 3, he was on a tanking team. How many top QB picks were on a team that clearly tanked for a high pick? How many top pick QBs had a 37 year old clearly done RB and terrible WRs/TEs? I can’t think of a reasonable comp where a top QB has a decent 2nd year and the team decided to tank.

I’m not saying he’s guaranteed to play well or that I think we didn’t overpay but the comp of Tannehill in his rookie/second year or in his two full years with Gase make sense based on the stats but I don’t think most people realize how old Tannehill was when he actually was coached by Gase and went to Tennessee.

How many teams that think they have the answer at QB tank?

I'm just not optimistic about a guy when there's nothing about his play we can point to for hope and just have to hang onto the fact that he's young and has some physical talent.

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Young is a good example. It's not promising that we have to go back 35 years for a comp. That's the type of long shot we're taking though.

Whats our barometer in terms of bounce back? Hall of Famer? How about:

Drew Brees

Troy Aikman

John Elway

Terry Bradshaw 

Steve Young 

Brett Favre 

Just salvaging into a long successful NFL career?

Alex Smith

Ryan Fitzpatrick 

Ryan Tannehill 

Kirk Cousins 

Thats top of my head. I'm sure there's others. The fact is there's plenty of examples of players bouncing back after a rough start. 

If Ruhle is on board with it, I'll proceed with cautious optimism. 

Edited by SteveSmithTD89
  • Pie 3

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

I think a #1 CB is our biggest need at this time, depending on how one feels about Darnold.  I hate the idea of Erving at LT, and I think a decent LT prospect is there in round 2.  There are some tackles in the second round, but no #1 CBs.

If we get a #1 CB, it immediately makes Jackson better, because he can now cover the less established WR.  In the NFC South, that means we have a better player on Jones, Thomas, and Evans, for example--that makes a huge difference, moving Action Jackson to the #2.

Stud LT please. (I wouldn't be opposed to double dipping on the Oline).

Erving at G, Elflein at C, Moton at RT. Oline is markedly improved from 2020.

5 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Just fuging LOL if Lance or Fields falls at 8 and they don't pick them. Only way that would be acceptable is if they get a HAUL for that pick

Either way it's a win-win and by trading for Darnold the Panthers at least have the luxury of making that decision.  I can't stress this enough, Darnold was all about closing the door on Teddy MUCH more so than trying to read the tea leaves on the QBs heading into draft night.  Bank on it.

• Pie 1

I think a #1 CB is our biggest need at this time

We 1000% need a CB, at least one. 

But after the attention we just paid to the defense last draft and this free agency, and the potential shape of our offensive line (and offense) this year and beyond?  Give me all of the offense possible.  2022 we're looking at contract year Darnold and DJ, a decision on Paradis, and CMC signed as essentially it right now. The offense needs A LOT more than the defense right now to me unless we're planning on becoming the Bears. 

5 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Stud LT please. (I wouldn't be opposed to double dipping on the Oline).

Erving at G, Elflein at C, Moton at RT. Oline is markedly improved from 2020.

Erving at G--how did he do in KC?  I have not given it thought, but we restructured Paradis and paid Elf a 3-year deal, so I did not see Erving at G.  What do you know?

1 minute ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

We 1000% need a CB, at least one. 

But after the attention we just paid to the defense last draft and this free agency, and the potential shape of our offensive line (and offense) this year and beyond?  Give me all of the offense possible.  2022 we're looking at contract year Darnold and DJ, a decision on Paradis, and CMC signed as essentially it right now. The offense needs A LOT more than the defense right now to me unless we're planning on becoming the Bears. 

I hear you, brother, but a #1 CB on Jones and Thomas makes us better at 2 positions. #1 CBs are rather hard to get, and the draft is deep at OL---just a hunch, but we could trade back a bit, grab a CB and a T, and then we frolic.

skipping matt leblanc GIF by Team Coco

Erving at G--how did he do in KC?  I have not given it thought, but we restructured Paradis and paid Elf a 3-year deal, so I did not see Erving at G.  What do you know?

He nearly got Mahomes killed and is hated by the whole fanbase.....Both LT and CB have holes, GIANT holes, but I feel the LT one is bigger. News of sewell has 33' arms..... before that I would have loved him in the 1st and farley in the 2nd, now Im not soo hawt for it...

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

We definitely need help at CB, but having a pass rush can hide that weakness somewhat.  I think our OLine needs help for sure.  I'm not convinced these guys we signed are going to be the answer.

Yes, but Jackson is probably gone in 2022 (if we do not re-sign him) and we have Pride.  The CBs in round 1 are good--and the OL is deep in this draft.  We can have both.

Nobody is talking about a 3tech DT, but we are going to get one. MARK MY WORDS!!

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Basbear said:

He nearly got Mahomes killed and is hated by the whole fanbase.....Both LT and CB have holes, GIANT holes, but I feel the LT one is bigger. News of sewell has 33' arms..... before that I would have loved him in the 1st and farley in the 2nd, now Im not soo hawt for it...

I do not think we go OT in round 1--there are about 8-10 good Tackles.  We can have BOTH a CB and a T, but the CB market gets thin at the back end of the first round--there should be tackles through the second--at least in the mocks I mess with.

I just do not get the Erving and Elfein signings.

• Pie 1