• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What are we doing in the draft?

Verge

49 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Give me a comp for a guy who has looked a bad through three years as Darnold who ended up working out. I'm not saying it's never happened, but I sure can't think of one off the top of my head. 

Team record difference aside, Eli Manning was trash.  Only QB in NFL history to post comparable QBR numbers to Darnold his first 3 seasons.  

but was Eli ever good or just lucky in big moments.  There is that

8 minutes ago, Basbear said:

He nearly got Mahomes killed and is hated by the whole fanbase.....Both LT and CB have holes, GIANT holes, but I feel the LT one is bigger. News of sewell has 33' arms..... before that I would have loved him in the 1st and farley in the 2nd, now Im not soo hawt for it...

Yeah, the arm length isn't ideal but it feels like all these 1st round OT busts of the last 20 years or so are all these 6'5" 35"+ arm guys that everyone is willing to look past all their glaring issues.

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

There will probably be a QB at #8 and a team that wants to deal. 

We could get a 2021 second and a 2022 second to move back to 15 (NE) or 19 (Washington) and still get a CB / T in round 1.

This would be what I was thinking/wanting as well but if the LT is there you gotta get him. We can trade back and get a CB or even DL or even the later tier LT while picking up more picks. This is definitely something they are thinking about ofc but it will all depend on how the draft falls.

Just now, MHS831 said:

I do not think we go OT in round 1--there are about 8-10 good Tackles.  We can have BOTH a CB and a T, but the CB market gets thin at the back end of the first round--there should be tackles through the second--at least in the mocks I mess with.

I just do not get the Erving and Elfein signings.

I hate to pull a 180 about my draft hopes, but Im opening a fresh new tab and it may start with Pitts and Chase on the first line......in true panther sadness I believe less than 5% chance either will be there at 8th. 

Using the 8th pick on a CB, I just see better value cause horn isnt a worthily. I feel both groups will have good value with the 39th pick tho. I just can not in good faith put Erving/Little/whatever out there and watch Sam get IR'd. Sewell and SLater are good enough for the 8th, just hate 33 arms on a LT. Horn and Surtain just miss the cut at 8th for me.

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I do not think we go OT in round 1--there are about 8-10 good Tackles.  We can have BOTH a CB and a T, but the CB market gets thin at the back end of the first round--there should be tackles through the second--at least in the mocks I mess with.

Yes, but many of the tackles in the 2nd are RTs and the few LTs project better to guard.  I would persoanlly switch that sentiment in regards to CBs and tackles.

Agreed, the Elfein and Erving signings were bad, especially Erving.  If he's our starting LT on opening day, we are in for a LONG year.  Sorry, the QB is in for a LONG year.

26 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think a #1 CB is our biggest need at this time, depending on how one feels about Darnold.  I hate the idea of Erving at LT, and I think a decent LT prospect is there in round 2.  There are some tackles in the second round, but no #1 CBs.

If we get a #1 CB, it immediately makes Jackson better, because he can now cover the less established WR.  In the NFC South, that means we have a better player on Jones, Thomas, and Evans, for example--that makes a huge difference, moving Action Jackson to the #2.

If CB is the plan I’d rather move down to 12 or so and take 1 there’s 3 that fit the Bill 

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Erving at G--how did he do in KC?  I have not given it thought, but we restructured Paradis and paid Elf a 3-year deal, so I did not see Erving at G.  What do you know?

I've always been a major fan of moving College OTs inside to play OG in the NFL. Erving hasn't nailed down a place at OT in the NFL, so I'd put him inside (I know he can play there though in a pinch).

Elflein - I've just seen Paradis play football. Also they restructured his deal to give us more cap space. I suspect he'll be cut at the end of the season. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Fox007 said:

This would be what I was thinking/wanting as well but if the LT is there you gotta get him. We can trade back and get a CB or even DL or even the later tier LT while picking up more picks. This is definitely something they are thinking about ofc but it will all depend on how the draft falls.

I know-but it is not going to be as simple as we are making it--if there is a QB there, and there might be--or if not, a damn good WR/CB/T will be there--do we move back?  I think we have to.

My favorite OT in this draft--Sewell is awesome--is Teven Jenkins--but he played RT.  

10 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Much like the Darnold trade - talented guys that this coaching staff think they can get more out of than previous coaching staffs.

Elflein was actually pretty good at C for the Vikings. He's been poor at OG, albeit he can play in a zone scheme there. Erving has never been an OT for me - his value is because he's a swing OLman. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I've always been a major fan of moving College OTs inside to play OG in the NFL. Erving hasn't nailed down a place at OT in the NFL, so I'd put him inside (I know he can play there though in a pinch).

Elflein - I've just seen Paradis play football. Also they restructured his deal to give us more cap space. I suspect he'll be cut at the end of the season. 

I thought he was as good as cut this year--he did step up a bit, probably getting strength back after the injury, but he is no star.

2 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Much like the Darnold trade - talented guys that this coaching staff think they can get more out of than previous coaching staffs.

Elflein was actually pretty good at C for the Vikings. He's been poor at OG, albeit he can play in a zone scheme there. Erving has never been an OT for me - his value is because he's a swing OLman. 

Ryan Kalil was not that good at G--too small, but he was a nice center.  I like what I am hearing and want to believe it all...

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, the arm length isn't ideal but it feels like all these 1st round OT busts of the last 20 years or so are all these 6'5" 35"+ arm guys that everyone is willing to look past all their glaring issues.

I mean if you can get the job done, I dont care if arms are 28'inch. Its just a bigger mountain to climb, cause nearly all eilte DE/OLB can touch the ground standing. Only counter to long arms is long arms. Its very similar to boxing when theres a 2-3 inch reach advantage. Shorter guy has to take punishment and get dirty inside..... takes a different type of human to overcome it. 

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I know-but it is not going to be as simple as we are making it--if there is a QB there, and there might be--or if not, a damn good WR/CB/T will be there--do we move back?  I think we have to.

My favorite OT in this draft--Sewell is awesome--is Teven Jenkins--but he played RT.  

Well even though Fitts said he likes to trade back he also said there are tiers of players and at 8 with probably 4 QBs at least going in the top 8 we will for sure have a premium player so I could just as easily see them staying and getting a legit top 5 guy in other drafts at 8.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

If CB is the plan I’d rather move down to 12 or so and take 1 there’s 3 that fit the Bill 

I think we do something like this---we need 3 players in round 2 in my "imagination" and it takes me anywhere I want to go.

I want a #1 CB, a starting LT, and Mond or Mills (QB).  In round 3, I would like a 3 Tech and maybe a developmental G in round 4. 

• Pie 1