• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I don't believe we'll take a QB on day 2 no matter what

top dawg

I could be wrong, but I just can't see us taking a QB in round 2 or 3. Why? Because I don't believe that Kyle Trask, Kellen Mond or Davis Mills will be viewed in the same company as Sam Darnold or Gardner Minshew! 

I've read a few things, and it would appear that a third round pick is about the highest that GMs would be willing to pay for Darnold, and even that's in doubt. And, certainly, Minshew is not going to get any more value than Darnold, and probably less if he is made available. And, to be honest, the Jags should jump on a third (and probably a fourth{Darnold territory}) if they can get it!

All that being said, I just don't see it making sense to give up more for college guys with so many question marks than than you would give up for young, experienced, past starters in the league with perceived untapped upside. I don't see it happening...via a smart braintrust leading a rising franchise anyway.

Day 3 may be ripe for all the leftovers, but don't expect us to go reaching on day 2 if we can't land one of the guys that we're actually excited about on day one. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

This stance is exactly what I’d hope for. If we can’t get a QB in round 1 we shouldn’t reach on these guys during day 2. If any are left after that then pull the trigger and hope one turns out ok. 

I still believe we get a QB in round 1 as of now though. 

• Pie 1

It is a bit like wasting a need position pick.  Realistically? You are picking a backup who you hope never has to play.  However, you might find a gem that steps up with coaching etc. but that is not the norm.  I see backup QB as a big need when you are trying to upgrade your starter and if you don't, you go with the starter again.  So technically, it is not fun to take a pick you hope never plays and you dream that he will.

32 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

It all depends on your scouting staff and their evaluations imho. If a guy they see as developmental with upside falls and you didn't get a QB early, you might need to pull the trigger.

It's all dynamic as things unfold within the context of the bigger picture of overall team development.

This.

If your scouts like Kellen Mond's upside and the coaching staff thinks they can coach him up to his potential, then taking him in Round 2 or 3 doesn't seem like a terrible idea.  Obviously it's a risk-reward decision, but the same is true of taking a guy early in Round 1.  There's always going to be a downside.  I love Zach Wilson as a prospect, but he's not guaranteed to be a great starter in the NFL.  Same goes for Trevor Lawrence.

15 minutes ago, woahfraze said:

This.

If your scouts like Kellen Mond's upside and the coaching staff thinks they can coach him up to his potential, then taking him in Round 2 or 3 doesn't seem like a terrible idea.  Obviously it's a risk-reward decision, but the same is true of taking a guy early in Round 1.  There's always going to be a downside.  I love Zach Wilson as a prospect, but he's not guaranteed to be a great starter in the NFL.  Same goes for Trevor Lawrence.

I agree with you to a point, but I've heard too many analysts say that if Darnold was in this year's draft, he would likely be the second or third option on the board. That being said, I still think most will perceive his upside higher than Mond's. As for Minshew, his efficiency was pretty good last year, notwithstanding the circumstances, so even with him, you're beginning at a relative headstart. 

Edited by top dawg

Interesting topic, but I think IF we do this, we have to trade back from 8 and get some value--so picking the qb is "free".  If I would not be opposed to dropping 20 spots--yes 20--for a first in 2022 and a late second in 2021.  The first gives you the ability to move up in 2022, and the second allows you to draft a QB this year.   So we'd get pick 28 or so, a 2022 first rounder, and a late second rounder.  I just think that we HAVE to get a T and CB if we don't get a QB in round 1---by pick 40.