• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Cosell talking QB's.

I would also like to explain why I like both Wilson and Lance. I don't think I've done this yet around here. I believe another very important aspect of all prospects goes beyond their natural talents. It involves personalities and characteristics. As I cannot interview players I have to trust the coaches for that part but I can evaluate characteristics to some degree. 

Wilson has demonstrated the ability to improve. He had a good first season and then regressed a little in his second season as players will often do but he was battling an injury so it's understandable. But in his third season he showed great improvement and especially where it matters most to me in his passing and reading skills. This makes me believe that he can continue to improve and especially if he has the proper coaching. If they believe he's close to Teddy's level now, with improvement I could feel confident I have someone who will be much better moving forward.

With Lance I also saw tremendous improvement but differently. He came from a small town school. He was a great athlete. Major universities did not want him as a QB for this reason. He went to NDS and was a RS and learned how to be a QB and in his first and only season was really good at it. That was a big improvement over who he was coming into University. Again, it demonstrates that he can learn and improve given time and coaching. Plus as a bonus it demonstrates a belief in his abilities. I really like that trait in a young player and especially at QB. 

I think both of those kids would be great here or with any team that put them into a position to succeed. That last part is so important for the majority of QB prospects. I think Carolina would offer Wilson and Lance a great opportunity to become good NFL QBs.

Edited by Panthers Rhule

21 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

I won't discuss Lawrence as he's a Jaguar. Not doubts about it. Of the remaining "top 5" prospects, I honestly only want to of them For the Panthers. Wilson and Lance. If we traded up with the Jets I would be thrilled as long as we don't give more than the 49ers did to get 3. I think Wilson would flourish with us and quickly, I really do. Or I'd prefer to take Lance at 8 but if necessary I'd be ok with moving up 1-3 spots for him. I think he would flourish here as well but would need a little more time probably. However, long term he may be the better of the 2 for us. I don't think Jones is a good fit as we don't want a game manager. Fields has some qualities that we'd want, definitely more than Jones but I just don't think he will be able to do all the things we will be asking him to do in this offense. Listening to the interview it seemed to me that Cosell wasn't really high on him either. After years of a great athlete but average QB I don't want that again. I think Lance's QB skills are much better and that's why I'd would take him over Fields. If our only choice was Fields or Jones at 8, I would honestly pass on both and either get my LT or trade down a few spots and still get my LT. For me it's Wilson, Lance or LT. Anything else and I will be ok but not really happy.

I concur, I had these same thoughts months ago about Lance vs Fields/Jones.

For your last statement; personally Pitts and/or Chase would make me happy as well. Many think WR/TE isnt a need, but both Moore and Anderson are 2022 (currently). The price to sign one looks to be 20 million per........ be very hard to sign both, so Chase on a rookie deal is welcomed. Besides 3 WRs would be the base, hes a starter getting starter snaps so long he earns them.

TE i feel is vastly under-rated in the NFL. Pitts....6'6 245 LBs Pitts would fill the TE and he can be flexed out to WR given his 4.4 time/skills. Longest wingspan in the draft and Panthers need a red zone threat. 

Many said the panthers were big losers with the 49ers trade up. If they take Mac "&G*G&H(BUO" Jones....panthers will be HUUUUUUUUUGE winners. No insane price and one out of Fields, Lance, Sewell, Pitts, Chase will be there. 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I concur, I had these same thoughts months ago about Lance vs Fields/Jones.

For your last statement; personally Pitts and/or Chase would make me happy as well. Many think WR/TE isnt a need, but both Moore and Anderson are 2022 (currently). The price to sign one looks to be 20 million per........ be very hard to sign both, so Chase on a rookie deal is welcomed. Besides 3 WRs would be the base, hes a starter getting starter snaps so long he earns them.

TE i feel is vastly under-rated in the NFL. Pitts....6'6 245 LBs Pitts would fill the TE and he can be flexed out to WR given his 4.4 time/skills. Longest wingspan in the draft and Panthers need a red zone threat. 

Many said the panthers were big losers with the 49ers trade up. If they take Mac "&G*G&H(BUO" Jones....panthers will be HUUUUUUUUUGE winners. No insane price and one out of Fields, Lance, Sewell, Pitts, Chase will be there. 

I can understand that and I definitely respect your opinion and both are excellent players. The main reason I would want LT as our pick if it isn't a QB is because LT is one of the most important positions and it's one of the hardest to get. It could even be argued that it's harder to find a good LT than a good QB but it's less important. But having a good LT, coupled with Moten on the right will improve the chances of success for any QB we may have moving forward. More than Chase or Pitts would. While they may be better players than what we have at those positions, the difference isn't as great as the difference we have between our current LTs and whichever LT we could get. However, if they believe we can get a sleeper LT in the 2nd that would work really well in our scheme then going for a potential superstar at another position would make sense too. I just think LT has been a glaring weakness for us for so long and with this draft being strong at the position I would really hate it if we didn't resolve that weakness in this draft. 

Edited by Panthers Rhule

44 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

I can understand that and I definitely respect your opinion and both are excellent players. The main reason I would want LT as our pick if it isn't a QB is because LT is one of the most important positions and it's one of the hardest to get. It could even be argued that it's harder to find a good LT than a good QB but it's less important. But having a good LT, coupled with Moten on the right will improve the chances of success for any QB we may have moving forward. More than Chase or Pitts would. While they may be better players than what we have at those positions, the difference isn't as great as the difference we have between our current LTs and whichever LT we could get. However, if they believe we can get a sleeper LT in the 2nd that would work really well in our scheme then going for a potential superstar at another position would make sense too. I just think LT has been a glaring weakness for us for so long and with this draft being strong at the position I would really hate it if we didn't resolve that weakness in this draft. 

Same thoughts as well, I may have even started the quality LT >> quality QB deal. Just name good LTs vs QBs, theres more QBs. College Rule changing have almost killed OLmen, which is why Im perplexed about Sewell dropping. Honestly I would not care if panthers drafted back-to-back OT in the 1st and 2nd rounds, someone/moton is playing OG tho. For sure LT & QB >>> WR & TE, Im a big value guy too. Be such a relief having a elite LT for 15 years.... 

I think some of my first posting here in 2017, were comments about the panthers needing to draft 2 OTs. I followed it up each year, been years since the panthers had a good swing tackle too. lastly if you build a great OL with great OTs, QBs will be BEGGING to play here..

Edited by Basbear
  • Flames 1

11 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Interesting.  About Darnold---he had the same lower-body mechanics issues in college, and now, entering his 4th NFL season, he may be unlikely to change. And Fields--I see the Cam comparisons, I have made them myself--but I also see some Vince Young in him. 

I am really warming to the idea (as opposed to trading at least 2 picks to move up from 8 for the 4th or 5th best QB in the draft) of trading down and grabbing Mills.  Stay with Teddy for a year, and develop the weapons and protection.  And develop Mills in your system--or Mond, but Mond was not mentioned here. 

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't want another Cam Newton. 

Darnold has had bad coaching for three years. I'd offer the Jets a 3rd / 4th round pick for him if they take Wilson. He's much more talented than any QB you could get with that pick.  

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Darnold has had bad coaching for three years. I'd offer the Jets a 3rd / 4th round pick for him if they take Wilson. He's much more talented than any QB you could get with that pick.  

I don't want another Can here either. I think that's why I'm against drafting him. I might be wrong but I see that as a real possibility with him. I want a QB who can throw well. Running is a bonus.

25 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I loved Cam the person, but he had some problems that his tremendous athleticism was able to overcome at the price of shortening his career.  I see your point. 

44 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I really hope we don't end up with another NFL MVP... said no fuging sane person ever.

How many back-to-back winning seasons did he lead us to?

I want a consistent QB that helps us win 10+ games a year. I don't want another rollercoaster if we can help it.

Crazy, I know. 

17 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

How many back-to-back winning seasons did he lead us to?

I want a consistent QB that helps us win 10+ games a year. I don't want another rollercoaster if we can help it.

Crazy, I know. 

Our lack of consistency during the Cam era didn't have anything to do with the QB position.

• Beer 1

Just look at Fields stats, just over 70% completions with 22 TDs and 6 INTs in a shorten season for them. Year before over 67% completion with 41 TDs and 3 INTs. He is averaging over 9.3 yards a pass. So over 2/3s of the time he is going to throw a completion for a good chunk of yards. If that’s the first read than that is working out great! This is all not even looking at his rushing ability. If he is there at 8 we better be tripping over ourselves to turn in our card to select him.

Out of all the top prospects, Fields looks the best to me, and I'd be thrilled if we somehow managed to snag him. He's the guy that I'd be ok moving up a couple of spots for to ensure we snag him. If he's gone, stay pat and grab one of the top LTs instead, and hope we have enough draft capital next year to go up and get our QB of the future then. If no LTs are there at that point, do the best we can to trade down and get more picks if possible (most folks seem to forget that teams have to want to trade up too).