• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan Patrick: Panthers interested in trading for Sam Darnold

TheSpecialJuan

1 hour ago, Verge said:

Not that I am saying it will happen. Makes more sense for us to send a third and then trade TB for a 5th or whatever we can get for him to DEN, NO, ETC

I read an article saying Denver wasn't interested in trading for Darnold. Do you still think their plan is to go all in during the draft?

First of all, the source said he (or she--out of respect for Verge) guesses that Carolina would be a player for Darnold.  Darnold has all the tools; if they could get his mechanics right, it could be the best QB deal of the off season.  I would give the third (2022) and I would bring him in and put him through QB boot camp.  I would hire a personal mechanics coach to work with his as much as his position coach.  I would also draft Mills or Mond later and have the mechanics coach do the same thing. 

I think SF is not a lock to draft Jones, but he is ready to play in a good system, and that is what SF has.  Lance needs time.  It will be interesting to see---

But here is the interesting part of this:  No mention of Fields.

I think that Jones will be there at 8 if he is not taken at 3.  I think we take Jones UNLESS we have made a deal with the Jets for Darnold--even then, we could take Jones, Mills, or Mond. 

If Jones goes at 3, and Atlanta does NOT take a QB, we are a lock to get a shot at Fields and/or Lance.

If Jones goes at 3 and Atlanta takes Fields at 4, then I think we could move up to #5 or 6 and grab Lance, just to keep Denver in our rear view mirrors.

Here is some MHS logic:  Trade Bridgewater and a #4 to NYJ for Darnold.  They get a good backup at a good price for a season or two, we get a developmental 4th year QB.  Then draft a developmental QB like Mills. Build the OL more and get a TE to go with Arnold.  Do not count on Erving and Elfein to get the job done; draft a LT and G---and a C to take over next year.  So if Darnold does not perform, you let him go.  You have then been developing a young QB with some upside. 

So in my opinion, we probably take Jones if he is there--but what if we traded down with a team wanting to leapfrog Denver for the last top QB?  Chicago, New England, or maybe Washington?  Then we could add some picks, trade for Darnold, draft Mills or Mond, and it is possible that we would be in better shape than if we just picked Jones.

Finally, I think Darnold will be better here--better weapons, better defense, better OL (maybe) and better TE (maybe).  If someone can fix his lower body errors, he can be the steal of the year.

Wait until the draft and see how things shake out .   If we get our QB in the draft then keep Teddy until the rookie is ready . If no Qb then make a move for Darnald and  and try for a QB in a later round .  We need more than 1 QB .  Greir will be cut and our other backup may be gone as well .

15 hours ago, Ja Rhule said:

Give Darnold OL and few weapons and watch him ball.  I was Darnold hater until I watched his tape.  Dude ran for him life in NY and still made some amazing plays.

Funny you say that.  I went to find some tape because I only remember seeing play on a Monday night game after being drafted. And your right. His whole highlights are him making something out of nothing.  Guess Van Roten didn’t make that line all pro. 

He would be better that teddy.  For a 4th I would be fine.