• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade for Sam Darnold

Memphis

19 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

For those hoping the Panthers will still draft a QB in the first round this year, I think you're going to be disappointed. It makes zero sense to trade for a young QB and then draft another one so that he has to look over his shoulder right out of the gates.

I mean the GM addressed that today.  Darnold doesn’t take a QB out of play in the draft.  Why would he.  

it just gives them an option besides Teddy if things turn south and there is no QB they want....because they aren’t trading up (which is the smart call). 

• Pie 1

Six weeks ago the Panthers were prepared to give up a kings ransom for a quarterback that possibly  may not play for a while. While this may not be what everyone wanted, it was a lot better than it could have turned out. We still have enough draft picks to build the roster. I am ok with it. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Poo 1

17 minutes ago, joemac said:

Lol Fitterer has been our GM for all of what, 4 months? Wtf is wrong with you people?

In those 4 months we got 2 first day OL signed. Both in the last three years are in the bottom metrics of rankings. Cut Kerr and didnt tender Obada, now theres a big need for DT. Maybe re-sign Kerr, but soon after SF signed him. Manged to trade 3 picks(including a 2nd) for a QB with worst metrics than Teddy 2 gloves. Took 50-60 million form the 2022 cap to pay for 2021 free agents, that may improve the win total form 5 to a sky high 6 maybe.. Great start huh....hurray panthers!!!!

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 2

I like the fact QB Sam Darnold was traded to us for a 2021 sixth-round pick and second- and fourth-round picks in 2022.

I feel Darnold has a great upside if we surround him with good players obtained in the draft and wise trades.

Hopefully, this puts and end to the wild talk of trading the farm for another teams disgruntled QB or taking a chance on a QB in the draft that may be good or may bum out.

At least we know what we are getting in Darnold, who was a QB that everyone had high expectations for when he was drafted but had the misfortune to play for a sorry team that certainly hurt his chances to excel.

• Pie 2

I’m pumped about the trade, at least we have something besides Teddy now.

It’s crazy how one game, or one “meaningless” win can drastically alter the course of a franchise....as in the win against the WFT. We throw that game, we’re set with Wilson or Fields probably. Now we are trading three draft picks for Sam Darnold. Not saying we should have thrown the game, but damn how things could be different.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

2 minutes ago, MadHatter said:

Difference is that Darnold turned the ball over at a high rate in college.  That us what concerns me...that he has always been turnover prone.

So did Josh Allen. Decision making can be coached 

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Basbear said:

In those 4 months we got 2 first day OL signed. Both in the last three years are in the bottom metrics of rankings. Cut Kerr and didnt tender Obada, now theres a big need for DT. Maybe re-sign Kerr, but soon after SF signed him. Manged to trade 3 picks(including a 2nd) for a QB with worst metrics than Teddy 2 gloves. Took 50-60 million form the 2022 cap to pay for 2021 free agents, that may improve the win total form 5 to a sky high 6 maybe.. Great start huh....hurray panthers!!!!

It's about coaching, not stats.

Rhule and co think that they unlock the talent in Darnold, Elflein and Erving. That's why Tepper paid him $72m. 

• Pie 1

As a guy who negotiates for a living I just don't understand giving up so much. I literally read we were the only ones interested or "bidding" so why in the world do you offer a second? Id start off offering a fourth and wait through the draft (when they would've still traded him after) and go from there.... I just feel like Tepper is waayyyy too jumpy rn. And why not just trade up to 5?