• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade for Sam Darnold

Memphis

6 minutes ago, rmoneyg35 said:

Difference is despite what people think Ryan Tannehill put up pretty good numbers and improved almost every year despite having a crappy team around him for most of that time and still learning the QB posting because he was a WR in college.

Tannehill's numbers declined his last two years in Miami. Darnold improved in his second year from his first. His third year he was hurt.

2 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

RIP hopes of Trey Lance.  At least I won’t be as anxious heading into the draft.  We should be able to draft a good player with the huge run on QB’s that’s likely to happen 

I said as recently as yesterday that our staff might look at lance at way too big of a project to take on.  I mean best damn case scenario is he is two years away from simply starting.  Longer still on being a really productive player.  I think we want someone to win now

28 minutes ago, MVPccaffrey said:

Keep coping, Darnold was garbage all three years including pre-Gase.  Ryan Tannehill?  We'd be lucky to get Ryan Fitzpatrick level of play 

Pre-Gase was his rookie season. 

If I remember correctly, Manning was putrid his rookie year as well. But he had a quality supporting cast and offensive coaching beyond that point.

Not saying that Darnold is Manning but come on man. Gase is hot garbage and has a horrible record of talent development on his roster. 

I'm not sure signing Sam Darnold means the Panthers couldn't draft a QB at 8 if one fell though.   

I mean, everyone assumed Teddy would/should go if we drafted one of these guys.  So that means we were going to bring in someone else regardless. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

RIP hopes of Trey Lance.  At least I won’t be as anxious heading into the draft.  We should be able to draft a good player with the huge run on QB’s that’s likely to happen 

Not exactly.  Lance is the one that had to sit a year.  We picked up Darnold's 5th year.  If Darnold sucks this year, we at lest gave him a shot and can explore options, but most importantly it will give Lance the season to sit he needs.

36 minutes ago, t96 said:

fuging 2nd rounder is retarded, even if it is next year. Upgrade on Teddy and an intriguing flyer but not for a 2nd rounder ++ more. 

That's the only issue I have with this. But, we weren't privy to his market either. I don't like it, but I don't believe it will be particularly crippling either. It is what it is.

Perhaps they've found a franchise QB. We'll see.

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Are you a Scout? Are you a GM? Are you an NFL coach? 

Maybe they should seek your opinion next time they make a deal. Darnold is likely worth more than we gave up for him. 

His grammar should give you some indication of what you are dealing with.

• Poo 1

33 minutes ago, Mage said:

Lol are ya’ll serious? 

I’m not a huge Darnold fan but this is a very low price to give up. 

Ya’ll overvaluing picks hard. Plus we’re gonna have soooo much cap space to compensate for whatever picks we don’t have.

Great risk/reward deal. 

He's only under contract for one more year. Fifth year option would be $18 million. If he plays well, we'll have to pay him.

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

That's the only issue I have with this. But, we weren't privy to his market either. I don't like it, but I don't believe it will be particularly crippling either. It is what it is.

Perhaps they've found a franchise QB. We'll see.

the market just said 3 first rounders was the cost to go up to #3 and draft a college QB.   And that kid frankly, is no safer gamble than pulling Sam out of NY and trying him. 

given the current atmosphere.  That is a decent deal.  ESPN talking heads were shocked the Jets couldn't get more. 

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1