• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade for Sam Darnold

Memphis

Ex-Jets C Ryan Kalil believes new Panthers QB Sam Darnold did not have enough freedom playing under ex-Jets coach Adam Gase. 

Kalil, who is now retired, was one of Darnold's centers in 2019. “It was a system that didn’t allow a lot of individual freedom. It was very, ‘You do it this way and that’s it,’” Kalil said. “A lot of the scheme was pre-determined (plays) based on what they thought they were seeing from the sideline. It didn’t give Sam a lot of room to grow, in my opinion, to make decisions on the fly. ... It wasn’t a system that allowed him to evolve and make decisions on his own. ... And I think that’s why ultimately the Jets made some (coaching) changes, too.” It's a charitable reading of Darnold's struggles in New York, as Gase was not the coach for Darnold's rough rookie year in 2018. Darnold showed modest improvement under Gase in 2019 before going off the rails in 2020. Something that is not up for debate is that Panthers OC Joe Brady will be by far the best coach to ever call plays for Darnold. The quarterback's supporting cast is also better than any he had in the Big Apple. 2021 is now or never for the former No. 3 overall pick. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Cecil Lammey
@CecilLammey
Ah, what might have been. League sources tell me #Jets turned down #49ers first-round pick for Sam Darnold earlier this offseason. Joe Douglas & co. had concerns about Zach Wilson's shoulder & wanted to see his pro day. Now, super confident & will likely be no2 pick #NFLDraft
12:56 PM · Apr 14, 2021·Twitter Web App

I'm following that twitter thread and there's another guy with sources saying that it's complete BS. Not sure what to believe but if what Lammey said is true, then the Panthers played the Market and got him for 2nd. That's a steal. The underlining theme here is that the Panthers are not the only ones that were seriously looking at Darnold. IT tells you all you need to know about his value and what was given up for him. 

Mark Sanchez says that Darnold hasn’t been given a real chance, per Joe Person at the Athletic.

“So to make any judgment on him based on his circumstances now and just say either thumbs up, thumbs down, good or bad, is just premature. Because he hasn’t had a legitimate chance to make anything happen with real weapons. It makes it very difficult when you’re playing with guys like that. There’s a lot on the quarterback, and he’s still learning a lot.”

On 4/11/2021 at 6:36 PM, TheSpecialJuan said:

A lot of times when coaches are scouting a player, they notice another player in the process.  So when we sign players from the same team, I try to figure it out.  Why take 2 players off a team with a terrible offense? 

So I figured, "We were doing our due diligence on Darnold and Elfein may have been that "other" player.  So when I was watching this, I started watching #67.  Why would we give him a 3-year deal? 

I get it.  He is solid.  at the 8 minute mark, he takes a DT to his left with his right arm alone.  Later, a DT tries to cross his face and swim over him, and drags him 5 yards down the LOS, allowing Darnold to run for about 20 yards. (9 min mark).   There are other plays, but I did not see him get beat---he was on a BAD OL and he held his own.  He may need to anchor vs. the bull rush a bit, but I am sold.

I am actually taking LG off my list of concerns.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

Basically, Darnold does really well after the play breaks down, but that was the only time he was given the authority to go off script. 

A QB who sees something should be given that authority.  It keeps everyone guessing--including your WRs and OL.  For example, if the qb can call a hot route at the LOS, do it.  If he sees the CB cheat toward the intended WR, throw it to the WR he vacated---etc. 
I am getting excited about Darnold and Brady with CMC and a few weapons.  I am happy about Elfein at LG.  (Maybe he becomes the C, but for now, LG).

Get that LT...slot WR...CB.  Those are the 3 picks we needed from the Jets.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Basically, Darnold does really well after the play breaks down, but that was the only time he was given the authority to go off script. 

A QB who sees something should be given that authority.  It keeps everyone guessing--including your WRs and OL.  For example, if the qb can call a hot route at the LOS, do it.  If he sees the CB cheat toward the intended WR, throw it to the WR he vacated---etc. 
I am getting excited about Darnold and Brady with CMC and a few weapons.  I am happy about Elfein at LG.  (Maybe he becomes the C, but for now, LG).

What about Waddle in the first as your slot and a LT in the second in a deep class? Bouye, Melvin, Jackson, and Pride are decent CBs, although another one certainly wouldn’t hurt.  G/CB/DT/FS are all options in the 3rd IMO.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

What about Waddle in the first as your slot and a LT in the second in a deep class? Bouye, Melvin, Jackson, and Pride are decent CBs, although another one certainly wouldn’t hurt.  G/CB/DT/FS are all options in the 3rd IMO.

If Sewell is there, the thinking is done for you.  If it is between Waddle and Slater, I am not sure that we take Slater.

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If Sewell is there, the thinking is done for you.  If it is between Waddle and Slater, I am not sure that we take Slater.

We dont need Waddle.  Damn didnt he just break his ankle.  Also if we are dead set on getting some WR help its a deep class there as well.  I want one of the 2 start from day 1 LT.   No need to be cute draft one and be fuging done with it. 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

We dont need Waddle.  Damn didnt he just break his ankle.  Also if we are dead set on getting some WR help its a deep class there as well.  I want one of the 2 start from day 1 LT.   No need to be cute draft one and be fuging done with it. 

I want Slater, and I agree--just figuring what they might do--we are not going to let Curtis walk and do nothing to upgrade.  But the third-sixth rounds are full of smallish slot WRs.  I hope that is what we do.  I am certain they know the value of a LT with a new QB.  I am getting excited about the OL if we do that.

6 hours ago, MHS831 said:

A lot of times when coaches are scouting a player, they notice another player in the process.  So when we sign players from the same team, I try to figure it out.  Why take 2 players off a team with a terrible offense? 

So I figured, "We were doing our due diligence on Darnold and Elfein may have been that "other" player.  So when I was watching this, I started watching #67.  Why would we give him a 3-year deal? 

I get it.  He is solid.  at the 8 minute mark, he takes a DT to his left with his right arm alone.  Later, a DT tries to cross his face and swim over him, and drags him 5 yards down the LOS, allowing Darnold to run for about 20 yards. (9 min mark).   There are other plays, but I did not see him get beat---he was on a BAD OL and he held his own.  He may need to anchor vs. the bull rush a bit, but I am sold.

I am actually taking LG off my list of concerns.

Thank you! Excellent post and observation. I've watched him some too and saw some of the same things. I noticed that when he was moving on zone blocks he was quite effective. Not as good in man which brings down is "rating" but I think he fits us well and could be an ok starter.

6 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I agree once again. Darnold has a pretty good pocket presence but he can throw on the move pretty well too. I think we can set up some bootlegs and roll outs for him too. I think he would have success doing that and it will force the defense to change a little which should help him out some when he does stay in the pocket. His skill set gives us more possibilities with the offense. 

• 8 months later...