• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sounds like Teddy will be Traded

I know the other thread was just locked but I was just watching Fitterer on Twitter and someone specifically asked if Teddy would be traded and he said that he had already spoken to Teddy and that they would look for the best place for him whether that was with us or somewhere else and he kind of stuttered when he first said it like he didn't really mean to say that so I think he's going to be traded.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/czoofjFXTEtSdlB6eHJuS2J8MXZBeFJ3RWptcFpLbKUSA67mFwagq-sm8Vx2rSYl2jez9WJO7895wAPtsVw9?s=09

Edited by Little Goody Two Shoes
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I believe they will have to add a pick with Teddy to move him. Example Teddy and a 4th for 7th. His contract has 10 million in guarantees, some of which the panthers have already paid. No one wants that contract, its got bonuses for games active too.  

4 minutes ago, Jackofalltrades said:

Teddy is a first class guy and would be a great mentor to help Sam learn the offense, but that contract makes moving him a must. 

It seemed like the relationship between Teddy and the staff took a nose dive after he blamed the play call coming in late for him missing a wide open DJ in the endzone. Actually, I think he specifically said he would've checked to a run play. That seemed to be the point of no return for Teddy in Carolina.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

Finding someone to take on Teddy's contract is likely going to cost the Panthers bodies or picks.  Might be better off keeping him around 1 more year and then cutting him after the season ends.  That should set the team up for success in 2022. 

Don't see Carolina making a serious run in 2021 anyway.  

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 2

7 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Finding someone to take on Teddy's contract is likely going to cost the Panthers bodies or picks.  Might be better off keeping him around 1 more year and then cutting him after the season ends.  That should set the team up for success in 2022. 

Don't see Carolina making a serious run in 2021 anyway.  

I agree with this.  Just bite the bullet and move on next offseason.  These folks hoping to "recoup" the 2nd from the Darnold trade by moving Teddy are delusional.  He doesn't have the same unfulfilled potential of a Darnold or the proven track record of a Stafford.  The market may not require us to give up picks to unload his contract, but at most we're getting a late round pick for him. He's more valuable as a backup who knows the system in the event the Darnold trade blows up in our faces.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

A team will trade for Teddy.  We won't get much, but we will not be sending a pick with him.  He has value, just not to us.

A pre-June 1st trade leaves us with 15 mill in dead cap over the next 2 years with almost 34 million in cap space gained, and post-June 1st trade leaves us with 10 million dead cap and almost 39 million cap space saved.   All figures over the next 2 years.

Since most teams are cash strapped this year, and we are not, the bargaining chip is how much of the cap we eat in the trade.  We can say we'll make it pre-June 1st, eat more cap space (which again, we have) and get a pick in a higher round.

As Verge has said, Teddy will not be on the Panthers for competition next year.

• Pie 1