• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

we were the only ones who wanted sam darnold lol

7 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

“Surest, safest, cheapest” of the options left. I don’t know the ins and outs of why we fell short on Stafford but with the price tag he went for I don’t blame them for not raising the stakes if Watson was still on the table. 

It came down to that extra 1st for Stafford, according to the reports. In hindsight, I kind of wish we had just pulled the trigger on that. But hindsight couldn't have told us the way all this ended up going down.

I think we are going to find out how sure, safe and cheap it is. My big fear is that Darnold proves to be less sure, safe and cheap than a journeyman backup from the free agent pile would have been. That is my big fear.

For all his potential, his floor is really, really, REALLY low.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It came down to that extra 1st for Stafford, according to the reports. In hindsight, I kind of wish we had just pulled the trigger on that. But hindsight couldn't have told us the way all this ended up going down.

I think we are going to find out how sure, safe and cheap it is. My big fear is that Darnold proves to be less sure, safe and cheap than a journeyman backup from the free agent pile would have been. That is my big fear.

I couldn't in good conscious give up 3 1st round picks for a 30+ year old QB and say that was a good move I can't..

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

All things considered he should have just as many tools offensively as Teddy did last year. A healthy CMC and a stud LT would give us zero excuse not to win games.

There were more teams interested, they just stopped being interested after QB situations were solved, once it became clear they had no leverage because they were obviously drafting Wilson (lol except for the Panthers I guess), and they realized there was not much budging on a price tag. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

I couldn't in good conscious give up 3 1st round picks for a 30+ year old QB and say that was a good move I can't..

Well, it would have only been giving up 2(1 was just a straight swap so you still have a 1st). I definitely understand that. Stafford has some injury history, so you need to really be convinced he is healthy enough and WANTS to stick around until 40 to invest like that.

2 minutes ago, Verge said:

There were more teams interested, they just stopped being interested after QB situations were solved, once it became clear they had no leverage because they were obviously drafting Wilson (lol except for the Panthers I guess), and they realized there was not much budging on a price tag. 

I am guessing the interest was largely bargain bin shopping by QB needy teams?

It doesn't seem like the league really views Darnold as much more than a cheap reclamation project. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Do you think the head coach or the offensive coordinator set contract terms?

How about the guy they hired from the Steelers that was supposed to take care of all that? And do you actually believe that Hurney signed TB to that contract without running it by anyone else in the organization? Especially the 70M head coach. How come no other Panther reporter of any kind has put this on Hurney? Just one biased fan. Anything besides him? Where is Hurney mentioned in this article? Who is everyone blaming this next fiasco on? My money is on whoever is let go or leaves first. As usual. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/34244/teddy-bridgewater-becoming-to-panthers-what-drew-brees-is-to-saints

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Long before Teddy Bridgewaterwas introduced to then offensive assistant Joe Brady with the New Orleans Saints, long before the Carolina Panthers' personnel department made Bridgewater the player to replace franchise quarterback Cam Newton, the former Louisville star was on coach Matt Rhule’s radar.

It was about seven years ago. Rhule, then the coach at Temple, watched on television as Bridgewater played for the Minnesota Vikings. Evan Cooper, his director of external operations and, like Bridgewater, a native of Miami, was with him.

“We always joked like, 'If you ever get one of those [NFL] jobs, that’s the first guy you should go after,'" Cooper recalled.

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

How about the guy they hired from the Steelers that was supposed to take care of all that? And do you actually believe that Hurney signed TB to that contract without running it by anyone else in the organization? Especially the 70M head coach. How come no other Panther reporter of any kind has put this on Hurney? Just one biased fan. Anything besides him? Where is Hurney mentioned in this article? Who is everyone blaming this next fiasco on? My money is on whoever is let go or leaves first. As usual. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/34244/teddy-bridgewater-becoming-to-panthers-what-drew-brees-is-to-saints

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Long before Teddy Bridgewaterwas introduced to then offensive assistant Joe Brady with the New Orleans Saints, long before the Carolina Panthers' personnel department made Bridgewater the player to replace franchise quarterback Cam Newton, the former Louisville star was on coach Matt Rhule’s radar.

It was about seven years ago. Rhule, then the coach at Temple, watched on television as Bridgewater played for the Minnesota Vikings. Evan Cooper, his director of external operations and, like Bridgewater, a native of Miami, was with him.

“We always joked like, 'If you ever get one of those [NFL] jobs, that’s the first guy you should go after,'" Cooper recalled.

If you really want to continue debating who knows more about the organization between you and Roaring Riot, I can pretty much guarantee you're going to lose.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

If you really want to continue debating who knows more about the organization between you and Roaring Riot, I can pretty much guarantee you're going to lose.

I have never claimed one speck of “inside” information from anything related to the Panthers. Coming from someone that will post anything ever printed to back up any theory, your best response is this. No other evidence. Just “because he said so” against every bit of print and just plain common sense. That’s why you didn’t even attempt to answer any of it. The article has quotes about  7 years ago. Your “source” mentioned it on here hours after Hurney was fired. Not before. I had said that Hurney would be the scapegoat for anything that goes wrong the first year. Hmmm....what happened? He was exactly that. 

You don’t have to be in/near the Panthers to know who makes decisions and whether they are good or bad ones. I’ve been doing it for years. 

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

I have never claimed one speck of “inside” information from anything related to the Panthers. Coming from someone that will post anything ever printed to back up any theory, your best response is this. No other evidence. Just “because he said so” against every bit of print and just plain common sense. That’s why you didn’t even attempt to answer any of it. The article has quotes about  7 years ago. Your “source” mentioned it on here hours after Hurney was fired. Not before. I had said that Hurney would be the scapegoat for anything that goes wrong the first year. Hmmm....what happened? He was exactly that. 

You don’t have to be in/near the Panthers to know who makes decisions and whether they are good or bad ones. I’ve been doing it for years. 

I don't need inside information to know that GMs who regularly deal in contracts don't run them past college coaches (and assistant coaches) who have no experience with them at all.