• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just curious. How do you feel about Sammy's vs Teddy's deal?

top dawg

My opinion is that the cap isn’t really that big of a deal for us at this point in time. The most important thing in a rebuild should be draft picks theoretically. We are rebuilding right now, not trying to compete. Of course cap is always important, but more so when you have your team essentially set and are now trying to retain talent or add a piece or two to get you over the hump.

This is why I’m a fan of the Darnold deal. We didn’t give up tons of draft capital. Hopefully Darnold pans out. I still think he could be a solid QB. But if not, at least we are retaining our draft capital. That’s huge for us right now.

37 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Darnold has more physical talent but Teddy is the far smarter QB. If you could combine the best assets of both you'd have an elite NFL QB, unfortunately alone they're both trash. Sorry.

Teddy, smart? Did you see how he talks on his burner twitter account?

Both aren’t very good. Doubt either will be a starters for much longer in the league. Could be wrong, but who knows.

Maybe Darnold revives his career but I hope for the best and always expect the worst. 
Similar to Teddy I think Darnold is who he is. I know his situation was not optimal but if he was any good or even franchise caliber I think he could of made a mountain out of a mole hill. 
I mean look at Watson. Horrible offense yet he threw for 30 TDs and was constantly running for his life like Darnold. 
I think we will be looking for a QB every year until we hopefully find someone. 
I don’t think Darnold will be it. 

26 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The big issue I have here is the timing. If we made this deal after striking out at #8 I'd be alright with it. It just feels like we're making a desperation move before we should be in desperation mode.

I'd argue that the timing on this deal makes more sense than waiting. It allows us to focus on needs at other positions with the #8 pick without having to worry about one of the QBs falling to us. 

Just now, travisura said:

I'd argue that the timing on this deal makes more sense than waiting. It allows us to focus on needs at other positions with the #8 pick without having to worry about one of the QBs falling to us. 

What if one of your top QBs is actually there? You still gotta take him and now you gotta deal with Darnold.

I think if they waited until after/during the draft it could have turned into a bidding war for him. I’m pretty indifferent/ optimistic about the deal. I like it better than trading multiple 1st rounders for an unknown rookie, better than sticking with Teddy, and better than drafting Mac at 8 (yeah I know he is probably going at 3, but still). Darnold is actually a lot more mobile that I initially thought which is another nice surprise. If we have Fields or possibly Lance available at 8 and we pass because of this deal I will be some what disappointed...

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I think if they waited until after/during the draft it could have turned into a bidding war for him. I’m pretty indifferent/ optimistic about the deal. I like it better than trading multiple 1st rounders for an unknown rookie, better than sticking with Teddy, and better than drafting Mac at 8 (yeah I know he is probably going at 3, but still). Darnold is actually a lot more mobile that I initially thought which is another nice surprise. If we have Fields or possibly Lance available at 8 and we pass because of this deal I will be some what disappointed...

It was already a bidding war. We were just happy to play the patsy and bid against ourselves.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

What if one of your top QBs is actually there? You still gotta take him and now you gotta deal with Darnold.

Of course you take one of the QBs if they're there at #8, and you can let him sit a year under Darnold and not be thrown to the wolves immediately. And if Darnold doesn't work out, then we already have his replacement on the roster. 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It was already a bidding war. We were just happy to play the patsy and bid against ourselves.

At the end we went up on our offer to go ahead and get the deal done, but originally several teams were interested, they just wanted a 1st which wasn’t happening.

Also here is Fitts on us possibly still taking a QB...

https://www.panthers.com/news/scott-fitterer-adding-sam-darnold-gives-panthers-options?fbclid=IwAR1UQvKczkk26mnZcAMjBO3rtvcXsNj3FlpIyLn1xNoz5BrgMwEej0dLECg

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You get the Chargers scenario where they had Drew Brees and still drafted Phillip Rivers (technically Eli).  Not the worst thing in the world to have two top-flight QBs on cheap deal and get to sort out which one you really want to keep.  Knowing us, we'll ship the better one off like the Chargers did Brees.