• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Case for Sam Darnold

OldhamA

Saw this the other day actually. Good video, thanks for posting!

Sam isn’t even 24 yet and has shown the ability to make special plays. Had Mahomes made those first two plays we’d be seeing them regularly on highlight reels weekly. Darnold made a ridiculous play against the Bills his rookie season similar to those two as well. This video helps show that a lot of times he’s making the correct reads and pre snap adjustments, that’s important to note at 23. That is exactly what Rhule and co. don’t want to have to go through with a rookie QB. 

JT O’Sullivan did a break down of his Rams game...

Ends the video off by saying “at times it is special” and that’s why you make this trade.

Combine what the two videos are saying and you have a kid who was in an organization that cannot draft and develop talent to save their lives and of course there are still going to be issues. 

A competent coaching staff makes a world of a difference. Baker Mayfield finally put Browns fans minds to ease this season. In 2019 Baker threw for 22 TD’s to 21 INT’s then a competent HC walked through the door in Kevin Stefanski and boom, Baker goes for 26:8. 

Rhule and co. will be put to test now. Darnold has all the tools and ability, he needs coaching. Let’s see what you got Matty!

• Pie 8

Of course an incredibly in-depth breakdown gets little to no action on this forum. 

This video goes over 95% of huddlers heads but that doesn’t stop that same 95% from littering the first page with their takes on a QB they’ve most likely not seen play more than twice.

Like Igo, I’m going to once again choose to be optimistic and there’s more reasons to believe this one might work out. 

• Pie 6

3 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

Of course an incredibly in-depth breakdown gets little to no action on this forum. 

This video goes over 95% of huddlers heads but that doesn’t stop that same 95% from littering the first page with their takes on a QB they’ve most likely not seen play more than twice.

Like Igo, I’m going to once again choose to be optimistic and there’s more reasons to believe this one might work out. 

OK Fua, you've convinced me. Darnold has potential to be a franchise QB if our staff can somehow unlock it. I'm onboard the Sam Express, and I am on record a couple of weeks ago as preferring Minchew to Darnold. Go Panthers, Keep Pounding!

• Beer 1

GREAT video that breaks down the X's and O's. It's encouraging to hear that he is making the right reads consistently, but his mechanics are failing him from time to time. Can the be coached up and fixed? Darnold is young enough for me to believe that yes it can happen. 

I'm still tentative about everything and have low expectations but I think it will do Darnold a ton of good to actually have a QB coach instead of a megalomaniac trying to run the entire offense himself. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

For those looking for a summary:  "To me there's enough on tape to say I would go after Sam Darnold if I was in a situation where I was unsure about my quarterback and I don't feel like I can get up to go and get one of these top guys."

Pretty much spot on for the Panthers. 

• Pie 3

www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2021/04/05/carolina-panthers-teddy-bridgewater-sam-darnold-trade-settling

“According to former colleague Jonathan Jones, now of CBS, the Panthers have already committed to an $18-plus million fifth-year option for Darnold, in addition to the final year of his rookie contract. They are essentially prolonging their bridge-option quarterbacking phase for an additional year, instead of allowing Bridgewater the chance to showcase his growth in the system.

It would be surprising if the Panthers were internally thrilled about how this all worked out. While Plan C can always hit, leaving us to again finger wag at the Jets and their almost mystical inability to develop quarterback talent, the Panthers are more than likely deepening their holding pattern and squandering assets in the process.“

Excellent video to watch if you have the time. Really informative on Darnold.

Pretty much explains what we already knew. Sam is wildly inconsistent. At times, he makes "wow" level plays that demonstrate his ability. Throws on the run with pinpoint accuracy when a play breaks down, great reads with an even better throw. But then he'll look confused on a play, or just downright lazy, and throw an easy pick. He won't set his feet or body in the direction he's throwing and throw a duck to the other team. 

Another thing I noticed from the video was, Adam Gase's offense was sh*t. They just called boneheaded plays that didn't make any sense for the defenses they were playing. Joe Brady should, at the very least, put Darnold in more winning situations just by scheme alone. 

And like Damien Woody said...

Will definitely be interesting to see if Darnold can turn it around with better coaching.