• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold is the QB, now what?

jfra78

So Sam is now THE QB of your Carolina Panthers.  We all know the terms and no matter how we feel about it, it's time to get behind this guy and make sure he has every chance to succeed.

I have been a huge fan of Parsons this whole offseason,  but with this trade I feel we have to build the offensive line first and foremost.  I would be happy if we went back to back OL.  But, this pick may have a lot of potential for a trade back.  Imagine the offers we get if Fields or Lance is sitting at 8. 

So where do we go in this draft now that we know who the starting QB is? Do we sit at 8 and pick Sewell or Slater?  Do we go best reciever? Do we trade back and make this trade feel more palatable?

• Beer 4

Honestly. Giving how much the Jets abused Darnold, you draft OL help and lots of it. He will have weapons, so the line will give him confidence. 

However, people should prepare themselves. I would not be shocked that should a qb drop that they like, i could see us draft one to sit for a year behind Darnols. 

• Pie 3

If Fields or Lance slips(I am assuming that Wilson and Lawrence will not), you take them if you like them as prospects. If not, you take a LT(Sewell/Slater) if available. If none of those are available, evaluate BPA and trade options. 

The third scenario is likely to net us a good player but not move the bar on helping the franchise in the next couple of seasons. Eventually you have to get QB and OL figured out or the odds of being a Super Bowl champion get pretty slim. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Panthero said:

Honestly. Giving how much the Jets abused Darnold, you draft OL help and lots of it. He will have weapons, so the line will give him confidence. 

However, people should prepare themselves. I would not be shocked that should a qb drop that they like, i could see us draft one to sit for a year behind Darnols. 

Didn’t we pick up Darnold’s 5th year option? If that’s the case then drafting a QB in round 1 is highly unlikely. 

7 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Didn’t we pick up Darnold’s 5th year option? If that’s the case then drafting a QB in round 1 is highly unlikely. 

If we pick up his 5th year option, it's basically Teddy Deal 2.0. One of the most attractive things about Darnold for us is that he is on a cheap, one year deal. Even if the cap jumps, it isn't going to be smart to be toting around an $18.9 mil backup QB or failed starting QB. That's pretty much the situation we are in now. 

So, you have mostly bad outcomes from picking up his option, with just one good outcome.

1 minute ago, cookinbrak said:

If Feilds/Lance are there at 8, somebody gonna want to trade up. If the offer isn't good enough, get Sewell/Slater, Pitts, or BPA that fits our needs.

IMO, if Fields or Lance is there, you take them. As someone described in another thread, we are now at "throwing poo at the wall" for QB. Well, time to grab as much poo as possible. Fields and Lance are way, way, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY shinier turds than Darnold. 

23 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If we pick up his 5th year option, it's basically Teddy Deal 2.0. One of the most attractive things about Darnold for us is that he is on a cheap, one year deal. Even if the cap jumps, it isn't going to be smart to be toting around an $18.9 mil backup QB or failed starting QB. That's pretty much the situation we are in now. 

So, you have mostly bad outcomes from picking up his option, with just one good outcome.

You misread what I said. We’re picking up Darnold’s 5th year option. I seriously doubt we’re drafting Lance or Fields if they drop to us. https://www.google.com/amp/s/pantherswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/05/panthers-picking-up-sam-darnolds-fifth-year-option/amp/

1 minute ago, Newbie said:

You misread what I said. We’re picking up Darnold’s 5th year option. I seriously doubt we’re drafting Lance or Fields if they drop to us. https://www.google.com/amp/s/pantherswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/05/panthers-picking-up-sam-darnolds-fifth-year-option/amp/

Well, snagging the 5th year option was definitely not smart, IMO. Passing on one of the top 4 QB's if they slide to 8 would be much less smart. Both of those decisions back-to-back? Well.....I think we are in for a long decade as Panthers fans.