• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold part of the draft day strategy

JawnyBlaze

14 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Nope. Stop right there. If he becomes a franchise QB ok. Until then he is a reclamation project from a very green crew who did this all last year minus a more experienced GM. Until he becomes a franchise QB, we overpaid. Maybe it changes, maybe it doesn't.

Franchise QB and Sam will have to wait. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, dude has been in the league 3 years.

If we have a chance to draft a top QB we should. Plenty of LTs in the 2nd and the Pats proved you could get great value from a backup.

I think we are saying the same thing. I’m saying if a guy we like is there at 8 we draft him. Darnold is our backup plan that we locked up.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Smittymoose said:

lol, you also don't waste top 10 picks on backups. Yeah, maybe 8 teams checked in initially, but every single one of those teams specifically mentioned in that article have secured a QB for this season. Carolina was the only team left pursuing him because the music had stopped playing, and Carolina was the only guy without a QB that wasn't content to wait until the draft.

They aren't taking a QB at 8. It isn't happening. Just stop it. If they were willing to take a chance on one of these QBs, then they would have waited to find a QB solution. It's really that simple. It would be awful from an asset allocation and team building perspective to trade for Darnold and then also draft a QB. Carolina would have been infinitely better off just holding Teddy for another year if that was the plan. 

Top 10 on backups?? If we take Fields at 8 he is our guy. Darnold may start like Smith did to Mahomes, but our 2nd rounder next year would be a sunk cost... 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

What guy for example?

Whoever this staff values as a potential franchise QB. Fields would be MY preference, but I have no clue who they want. I mean something crazy might happen and Wilson might fall to 8. Do we still pass on him because we have Darnold? A QB that had a rough start and we traded a future 2nd for isn’t our absolute final answer.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If we wanted fields we would have moved up to 3

For 3 first round picks like the Niners did? No rookie is worth risking that. Wasting a future 2nd on Darnold, while getting our guy at 8 is a much smaller risk. This is all IF one we likes falls, which I don’t see happening.

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I think we are saying the same thing. I’m saying if a guy we like is there at 8 we draft him. Darnold is our backup plan that we locked up.

I saw franchise QB and Sam and I had flashbacks to 2020. Sorry sir. I re-read it and see that now. Please be right!

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

30 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He totally gets the benefit of the doubt.  100%   and spoiler alert we are not drafting a qb.  If we wanted fields we would have moved to 3.  We don't like him or lance

Nope, dude is a bust we are trying to reclaim. Maybe he will earn it but he is being replaced by the 2nd pick in the draft. Lol the 49ers paid a ransom for the 3rd pick, it's ridiculous to think we would bid over that. Might as well convinced the Jets to keep him and give up 3 first and whatever else for the 2nd.

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Nope, dude is a bust we are trying to reclaim. Maybe he will earn it but he is being replaced by the 2nd pick in the draft. Lol the 49ers paid a ransom for the 3rd pick, it's ridiculous to think we would bid over that. Might as well convinced the Jets to keep him and give up 3 first and whatever else for the 2nd.

Bust is a tough word to use on Darnold. Fit is so important and, not to say a lot of his mistakes aren't on him, but that Jets' coaching carousel and bums at OC they had would have made most QBs fail. 

Darnold could be a bust, but at 23 and given the weapons he had, I don't think it's fair to call him that...yet.

For this above reason, I really...really hope we draft Sewell, Slater or Pitts at 8. Two bookend tackles for the next decade or a weapon like Pitts to go with Anderson, Moore and CMC is amazing. 

Give Darnold what you never truly committed to Cam.... and to a lesser extent, Teddy.

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

Bust is a tough word to use on Darnold. Fit is so important and, not to say a lot of his mistakes aren't on him, but that Jets' coaching carousel and bums at OC they had would have made most QBs fail. 

Darnold could be a bust, but at 23 and given the weapons he had, I don't think it's fair to call him that...yet.

For this above reason, I really...really hope we draft Sewell, Slater or Pitts at 8. Two bookend tackles for the next decade or a weapon like Pitts to go with Anderson, Moore and CMC is amazing. 

Give Darnold what you never truly committed to Cam.... and to a lesser extent, Teddy.

He is a bust. Top pick, started and tossed aside. 3 years NFL experience. The upsides of reclaiming him are his age, physical talent and the fact we are hoping it was terrible coaching. Thats all fine but he has to prove it or we traded a 2nd for a bust. Also never played a full season.

I committed to Cam, he was a franchise QB, our franchise QB. Teddy was a backup and never proved anything but that and always looked thst way regardless of hope or hype.

Wanting Sam to be more is fine, pretending he already proved it is not gonna happen until he does it.  This could be huge or another training camp year like last year, we missed and had no backup plan when plan A went to poop. Honestly, he looks like a bust but there is that chance they can turn it around. 

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

He is a bust. Top pick, started and tossed aside. 3 years NFL experience. The upsides of reclaiming him are his age, physical talent and the fact we are hoping it was terrible coaching. Thats all fine but he has to prove it or we traded a 2nd for a bust. Also never played a full season.

I committed to Cam, he was a franchise QB, our franchise QB. Teddy was a backup and never proved anything but that and always looked thst way regardless of hope or hype.

Wanting Sam to be more is fine, pretending he already proved it is not gonna happen until he does it.  This could be huge or another training camp year like last year, we missed and had no backup plan when plan A went to poop. Honestly, he looks like a bust but there is that chance they can turn it around. 

So was Steve Young in Tampa.. just saying..

• Pie 1