• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Predicted Outcome of Darnold Trade

kungfoodude

Predicted Outcome of Darnold Trade  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the most likely scenario?

• Gets beaten out as starter(rookie/Teddy/etc)
    • He is who we thought he was(same inconsistent player - bust)
    • Teddy 2.0(career highs in TD/Yards but still clearly a marginal NFL QB)
    • Jake 2.0(not an elite QB but shows he can make us competitive)
    • Adam Gase is QB Poison(Shows why he was the #3 overall pick - Franchise QB)

4 minutes ago, Growl said:

lol you’re the one arguing that the modern nfl is as the same as it always has been

id say my mother has forgotten more football than you know in light of that

You are arguing that 4 and 7 years ago was a "different era" of NFL football. That's just flat out stupid.

But, keep telling us how much you know about "Nick Files."

I think too many people are looking at this as a "Bears" type move. Yes it has a hint of desperation but remember that we aren't a QB away from being a contender. This was a safe move to build the entire roster through the draft. We already ruined the relationship with teddy so there was no way he was QB1 heading into week 1. 

Sam will most definitely improve his numbers... now it may not be by much but he is stepping into a much better situation. That being said.. he is just a better looking placeholder if you ask me, but if he winds up being more than that then our FO did a great job!

I'm willing to give him a chance.  FWIW, Im hoping he turns into our Steve Young.  Steve young was awful his first 2 years in the NFL, but change of scenery and a team around him that wasn't trash he ends up in the HOF.  I'm not saying Darnold is a HOFer, but he absolutely could be a good NFL starter.

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You are arguing that 4 and 7 years ago was a "different era" of NFL football. That's just flat out stupid.

But, keep telling us how much you know about "Nick Files."

lol 4 and 7?

do you really not know when brad Johnson and Trent differ, whom you espoused as ideals we should be hoping for played football?

scratch Reddit pal, maybe the team Facebook page is more your speed

12 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Honestly, I don't know WTF is going to happen with this. It looks like we gave a few minor-ish draft picks for a chance to kick the tires of a former #3 draft pick who has at least seen the field.

When he saw the field, he pretty much couldn't compete. Then again, no one on those teams could compete and the Jets have been the poster child for the worst coaching in the league. They basically destroy all of their high draft picks... and all of their draft picks are high. It is a sign of a bad organization.

So, we get a one-year test drive on a guy that probably should have been at least a decent QB. He doesn't have a lot of injuries, doesn't seem to have any legal baggage and has a built-in fifth year option that we can make use of if he performs decent to great here. 

Had we waited until after the draft, chances are the Jets were going to release him at some point. And we could have gotten him cheaper, probably, if we could get him at all. Someone was going to take a shot at him, as a back up at the least. So, we kind of got ahead of that line (and it might well have been a very short line considering his stats).

The line on Rhule is that he rehabilitates broken programs and brings them back into respectability. If he can do that with Darnold, we might see this as a brilliant move. If he can't, then we aren't out a whole lot, but we may need to start looking at buy out options for Rhule's contract. Hate to put it that way, but this is the NFL and you perform or you find new employment.

The 2nd rounder isn't "minor-ish", IMO. That is a pick that can get you some significant value in just a pure trade for an active NFL player. 

Supposedly we are going to exercise Darnold's fifth year option(deadline is May 3), which means he will likely be here for two seasons. If those reports are true, that makes him substantially less cheap(he'd be getting $18.9 mil in 2022). Also, I don't think they would release him only because they would forfeit a potential compensatory selection and his salary is fully guaranteed, so there is zero savings. I do think it might have been wiser to wait until post draft for this move but I guess they saw enough to make him "the guy." 

I am curious how long it takes for Rhule to make his way to the hot seat(hopefully we never find out). For all the patience that Tepper preached for the rebuild, it doesn't look like that lasted long.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Growl said:

lol 4 and 7?

do you really not know when brad Johnson and Trent differ, whom you espoused as ideals we should be hoping for played football?

scratch Reddit pal, maybe the team Facebook page is more your speed

Why am I not surprised your reading comprehension is extremely low? 

People wanted an established QB with a winning smile and record.  That player is not available.  And every time we have a great QB draft (1983 comes to mind) half of them do not make it.  So you all are bitching about the equivalent of a third, a fifth, and a sixth rounder for a QB that might become good in our system--and that has nothing to do with what happened in NY-

Or would you have preferred that we sent our 2021 first and second rounders and our 2023 first rounder to trade up for a QB with about a 50% chance of becoming special?

This is a very shrewd move, and it does not suggest that we are done.  For example, Mills needed another year of college--would have been a first rounder next season, some say.   Why not add him?  If Darnold develops, we could trade him for a first rounder or more.  If Darnold flops, you have a guy you have been grooming for a year.

Some wanted to keep Teddy for a season if we drafted a rookie--then cut him.  This is a better option because Darnold is 23 and might just have a future. 

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If you look at pure winning percentages, having an elite QB will consistently put you in a better position to win. That doesn't mean it is the ONLY way to win in the NFL. It just becomes harder without that elite QB. 

Elite QB's can more easily win without a great supporting cast than marginal QB's. So that margin for error gets greater by just having those guys on your team. Hell, Cam did that for us so many times.

yeah, I'm not arguing against the importance of it.  

But there generally are like 5 or so elite QBs in the NFL at any given time IMO.  So you gotta to be able to compete while you search. 

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Why am I not surprised your reading comprehension is extremely low? 

Why am I not surprised you’ve resorted to brain numbing cliches as the sudden horror realization that you lifted up brad Johnson as something for us to aspire to set in

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

yeah, I'm not arguing against the importance of it.  

But there generally are like 5 or so elite QBs in the NFL at any given time IMO.  So you gotta to be able to compete while you search. 

I'd say the elite QB pool is deeper than that by my personal definition. Either way, I agree with your point.

What is for certain, when you don't have that guy, you end up wasting a lot of good careers at other positions. 

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

People wanted an established QB with a winning smile and record.  That player is not available.  And every time we have a great QB draft (1983 comes to mind) half of them do not make it.  So you all are bitching about the equivalent of a third, a fifth, and a sixth rounder for a QB that might become good in our system--and that has nothing to do with what happened in NY-

Or would you have preferred that we sent our 2021 first and second rounders and our 2023 first rounder to trade up for a QB with about a 50% chance of becoming special?

This is a very shrewd move, and it does not suggest that we are done.  For example, Mills needed another year of college--would have been a first rounder next season, some say.   Why not add him?  If Darnold develops, we could trade him for a first rounder or more.  If Darnold flops, you have a guy you have been grooming for a year.

Some wanted to keep Teddy for a season if we drafted a rookie--then cut him.  This is a better option because Darnold is 23 and might just have a future. 

You are issuing lots of credit for "what ifs." The arguments against the move are just as valid as those for it. 

Those draft picks we jettisoned could easily have been spent on guys that might be starters or two deep players for us for year to come, whereas Darnold may be relegated to the NFL dustbin after two uneventful seasons in Charlotte. 

I can say this, after one bust QB move in 2020, the staff needs to hope they don't have similar results in 2021....

6 minutes ago, Growl said:

Why am I not surprised you’ve resorted to brain numbing cliches as the sudden horror realization that you lifted up brad Johnson as something for us to aspire to set in

Why am I further not surprised that you cannot even comprehend anything I have said in basically any post?

It must be difficult to be dumb in the age of information. Especially when all of these posts and information is still are just sitting there, waiting for you to sound it out and make sense of it.

I pity you.

• Poo 1

18 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Well thought out!