• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Spent time watching all of Darnold's throws over the past three years. My conclusion...

Zod

22 minutes ago, chknwing said:

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Darnold had no protection, no play makers.  He made bad decisions because he was under pressure literally the entire game every game.  If I was picking my ass off the turf after every down my confidence level in my team mates would dwindle too.,

Lies he had Robby Anderson and Jamison Crowder, both got worse with Darnold throwing to them.

Last year he had Mims, Crowder and Perriman  all were better when Flacco played

Pros:

• Not afraid to let it rip. Will throw the ball downfield
  • Good pocket movement
  • SUPER young. Younger than Mayfield, Burrow, Jackson, Allen, and Lock. Same age as Murray, Tua, and Herbert. 3 years NFL Experience where guys his age are just being drafted
  • Strong throwing on the move. 
  • Last QB to leave Adam Gase became really, really good.

Cons:

• LOOOOOOOOONG delivery.
  • Kyle Allen has had better stats
  • Has not played a full season yet
  • May have been ruined by Adam Gase
  • Still very raw. No QB coach in NY under Gase because Gase
  • Turnovers an issue

Conclusion:

We screwed ourselves out of a top prospect in the draft this year by winning too many games, Watson is a(n alleged) serial predator, and the Stafford trade fell through. Darnold is very obviously plan D. We aren't wasting too much capital, and he is young enough to try to kick the tires on. If he sucks, we need to make a move for a QB in the draft next year. Gun to my head, he will continue to suck. Tannehill showed MUCH more promise at the same point in his career and was a more raw prospect coming out of college. Darnold is most likely not the long term answer, and we are continuing to kick the franchise QB can down the road. We are stuck in QB Purgatory for at least one more year. 

But I've been wrong before and hope I'm wrong again. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

13 minutes ago, Zod said:

Dunno. I saw him underthrow a lot of long balls. 

I think a lot of that came from him have a poop supporting cast. I've seen some "wow!" flashes from him and then some "wtf?" I think you remedy a lot of his issues with a solid offensive line. His best weapons in New York last year were Jamison Crowder and Denzel Mims. Give him back Robby Anderson, DJ Moore, and CMC... potentially Kyle Pitts? and I think he has a much better team and set of coaches.

• Pie 1

32 minutes ago, Zod said:

Spent some time watching all of Darnold's throws over the past three seasons. My thoughts - 

Pros - 

- Decent job buying time with his feet and throwing a strike. Excels when rolling out and just balling. 

- Decent arm strength. Not great, but good enough. 

- Solid pocket presence. Steps up well when pressured. Good feet. 

Cons - 

- Throws really bone headed interceptions. Just doesn't see defenders sometimes. 

- Confidence. You can just see it dwindle as the games go on. 

Conclusion

Doubtful he will ever be an elite QB, but he may be a good QB for a long ass time if the Panthers can coach him out of his bad habits and teach him how to watch film and gameplan for defenses. 

Defense to that.

Joe Burrow prior to Joe Brady coming to LSU was Very similar.  In fact most scouts had him around a 5th rd grade.

Panthers new QB coach is pretty dam good as well seeing his work with Stafford and Watson.

trying to hold back my excitement, but if we can fox the OL, this may turn out to be a big time steal

• Pie 3

33 minutes ago, Zod said:

Dunno. I saw him underthrow a lot of long balls. 

was he winding up for nine minutes and heaving it with every fiber in his body and dropping it short or is he just a shitty deep passer?

neither answer will make me feel good 

• Poo 1

18 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Lies he had Robby Anderson and Jamison Crowder, both got worse with Darnold throwing to them.

Last year he had Mims, Crowder and Perriman  all were better when Flacco played

Mims who amazed a 46% catching rate when playing with Flacco... Nah.

14 minutes ago, Riverboat Ron said:

I think a lot of that came from him have a poop supporting cast. I've seen some "wow!" flashes from him and then some "wtf?" I think you remedy a lot of his issues with a solid offensive line. His best weapons in New York last year were Jamison Crowder and Denzel Mims. Give him back Robby Anderson, DJ Moore, and CMC... potentially Kyle Pitts? and I think he has a much better team and set of coaches.

If Mims is one of the best weapons, then you are in trouble.

• Pie 3

51 minutes ago, Zod said:

Spent some time watching all of Darnold's throws over the past three seasons. My thoughts - 

Pros - 

- Decent job buying time with his feet and throwing a strike. Excels when rolling out and just balling. 

- Decent arm strength. Not great, but good enough. 

- Solid pocket presence. Steps up well when pressured. Good feet. 

Cons - 

- Throws really bone headed interceptions. Just doesn't see defenders sometimes. 

- Confidence. You can just see it dwindle as the games go on. 

Conclusion

Doubtful he will ever be an elite QB, but he may be a good QB for a long ass time if the Panthers can coach him out of his bad habits and teach him how to watch film and gameplan for defenses. 

Will he have David Carr Battered QB Syndrome, though?

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Good thread of plays by Edgar Salmingo on Twitter.

I'd highlight this one in particular. Easy flick of the wrist to launch the ball downfield. That's an NFL arm.

Robbie and DJ will like this.

Any analysis why he throws so many interceptions and why his completions are so low?

11 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

was he winding up for nine minutes and heaving it with every fiber in his body and dropping it short or is he just a shitty deep passer?

neither answer will make me feel good 

He’s not a good deep ball thrower, to quote a jets fan from last year, “it’s better for Robby to sign elsewhere him and Darnold don’t match very well”

Robby got worse with Darnold