• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Spent time watching all of Darnold's throws over the past three years. My conclusion...

Zod

1 minute ago, TheRumGone said:

I think the biggest thing for Sam is taking the pressure off of him to make the big play. He was asked to make poo happen out of nothing with that talent deficient team. We have playmakers. Yes I want him taking chances downfield but he makes too many mistakes when he tries to play hero ball. He needs to figure out when and where to take those chances. If you watch some of his games as a Jet there are absolutely inexcusable throws that he cannot make. 

I don’t like this trade because we gave up a 2nd rounder for a guy who threw 9 tds last season. That’s just not good. Regardless of coaching or talent deficiencies when he’s got as much talent as he has. And I don’t think we can correct his really bad habits in 2 years. Nobody can tell me that as bad as that coaching staff with the Jets was that they were not harping on him not making those types of throws. It’s just instinctual and bad habits for him. Hard to break that.

I do agree about the 2nd rounder. That is what I think most of us have hesitation about. 6th and next years 4th absolutely do it. The 2nd rounder definitely would make me think.

But given how this offseason has played out so far our options were becoming limited. Josh Norris isn’t wrong when he said that if the Panthers liked Fields or Lance they would’ve traded up. I said a week ago I’m not even sure they take Fields if he’s there at 8. They backed themselves into a corner with Teddy, there was no way he could play another game here so they went out and got Sam. 

Last year was Sam’s worst. With Gase eventually being fired I think it all came undone which is unfortunate because Darnold had a solid finish to the 2019 season. Plus that 3rd year is crucial.

I agree on the coaching too. We can sit here and blame OL, WR and etc but he pulled the trigger on some balls he shouldn’t have. I guess we’ll soon find out how much of it was coaching and how much of it was Sam. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Let's put a truly optimistic spin on this.

Carolina picks up a young QB from the trash heap and rehabilitates him. Darnold reaches the potential that had Daniel Jeremiah pre-draft saying he would be a top 3 draft pick and have a good career. 

We get a #3 pick quality QB without giving up a first round draft pick, still have our #8 pick to grab an OT with AND still have our first round draft picks for next year and beyond. All for a reasonable salary. 

If this works out, then we get the value of a #3 pick without having to sit through another lousy losing season. If it plays out well, then we won't pick in the top half of the draft again for years, all for a fairly reasonable trade situation. 

The best case scenario in all of this is actually pretty darned good. The worst case scenario is we may have a top 3 draft pick next season in the draft and on the roster.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's relevant to point out here that we aren't running a "big play" offense. We run a "get it to your playmakers and let them do the work" type scheme.

Mind you, we can still benefit from a big play every once in a while, but our attack isn't predicated on it.

I’m not sure if that’s really the case only because teddy couldn’t push the ball downfield consistently. Burrow definitely did at LSU. If you have a guy with an arm you definitely need to take shots downfield consistently. Just at appropriate times. Teddy missed DJ wide open downfield so many times last season. So we were definitely running those routes. And I think it wasn’t that he didn’t see him, he literally couldn’t throw the ball to him.

• Pie 1

@TheRumGone I just looked, and Darnold and Jets went 6-2 in their last 8 games. Sam was actually 7-6 that year. Had he not missed those games due to mono who knows. I legit can’t think of any weapons worth a damn he would’ve had that year.

Then last year was just a downright mess. Maybe you just throw out last season entirely and hope to get another shot on his crucial year 3

I see both sides of this one especially after the Teddy debacle last year but I’m going to be optimistic because sitting here and counting down the days to the following year ain’t much fun, for me at least.

Edited by *FreeFua*

Hard to spin this positively after Teddy proved the staff couldn't make him more than he was. 0-1 and likely another on its way. At this point we kill the draft or we start talking a new staff at sometime during the year.

It's a hail marry and with us we all know that's with crap QB play. So desperate. Well, now they get to prove it, again.

I’m not sure if that’s really the case only because teddy couldn’t push the ball downfield consistently. Burrow definitely did at LSU. If you have a guy with an arm you definitely need to take shots downfield consistently. Just at appropriate times. Teddy missed DJ wide open downfield so many times last season. So we were definitely running those routes. And I think it wasn’t that he didn’t see him, he literally couldn’t throw the ball to him.

It's a West Coast system, basically the same as the Saints have been running for years.

It's also how Drew Brees used to drive us nuts, four or five yards here and there which didn't seem like much, till all of a sudden "sh-t, we're at the 10 yard line".

You're going to have big plays in a WCO, and having a quarterback who's a threat to make them is important because otherwise you turn into a horizontal offense (like we did last year).

It's just not as big play dependent as the Coryell offense we used to run.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

@TheRumGone I just looked, and Darnold and Jets went 6-2 in their last 8 games. Sam was actually 7-6 that year. Had he not missed those games due to mono who knows. I legit can’t think of any weapons worth a damn he would’ve had that year.

Then last year was just a downright mess. Maybe you just throw out last season entirely and hope to get another shot on his crucial year 3

I see both sides of this one especially after the Teddy debacle last year but I’m going to be optimistic because sitting here and counting down the days to the following year ain’t much fun, for me at least.

I’m neutral at this point. If the panthers sit tight and pass on a qb in round 1 and that qb goes on to have success and darnold doesn’t that is gonna set us back big time. So they better be sure. It’s a big time decision that can affect whether rhule lasts here or not.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You're going to have big plays in a WCO, and having a quarterback who's a threat to make them is important because otherwise you turn into a horizontal offense (like we did last year).

It's just not as big play dependent as the Coryell offense we used to run.

That’s basically what I said.

• Beer 1

I’m neutral at this point. If the panthers sit tight and pass on a qb in round 1 and that qb goes on to have success and darnold doesn’t that is gonna set us back big time. So they better be sure. It’s a big time decision that can affect whether rhule lasts here or not.

That’s basically what I said.

Fair enough.

I'm also neutral on this. I can see why it was done, but I'm not going to pretend I know how it's going to work out.

I know how I hope it works out.

18 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Hard to spin this positively after Teddy proved the staff couldn't make him more than he was. 0-1 and likely another on its way. At this point we kill the draft or we start talking a new staff at sometime during the year.

It's a hail marry and with us we all know that's with crap QB play. So desperate. Well, now they get to prove it, again.

Yep

people talk about gambling and the QBs and ‘painting themselves in a corner

the person who did those things was Matt Rhule 

1. Teddy is here because Matt and Joe loved him.  
2. Cam isn’t here because they didn’t love him.

3. Then, he no longer loved the anti Cam in Bridgewater and ran his mouth about it

4.  Then they win  a game that cost them in the Qb sweepstakes  

5.  they are outflanked for Stafford and Watson couldn’t keep his penis covered and here we are 

6. Now, they are dumpster diving to try and reclaim yet another qb

all I know is it has been a lot of losing with Tepper and the biggest gamble is Rhule 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1