• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Spent time watching all of Darnold's throws over the past three years. My conclusion...

Zod

I'm not the one to give Teddy a pass but it seems to me that Darnold is the complete opposite of Teddy. Teddy has had REALLY good teams around him and he somehow has not been good enough to take those teams over the hump. The Vikings with that Defense AND Peterson (still in his prime), the Saints with that DEFENSE and Weapons. Finally our team that well, had a promising D and decent O but the common denomiator here is Teddy. He was JUST NOT ENOUGH. Darnold on the other hand has played with poo. poo team, poo D, insane coaching staff, like a laughable O, about the only good thing from that O was their recently picked Tackle and Anderson, who is a Panther now. 

I'm not saying He's going to light it up, but I am saying that you're giving him a team that isn't as bad as the one he left and is already an upgrade to the QB he's replacing. Also you get at least 2 years to see if he's gonna be enough, and if he isn't well you gonna get replaced. That 2nd rounder allowed you to take a good look at him and build towards the future that includes him if he's good or doesn't if he's not the guy. Regardless this team will get better with or without him. If it's without him then  it will be for the guy that is the one. 

I'm just glad they are not being stupid and stubborn like Rivera and the former brass that just had to stick to a guy even though there was someone better behind them or available. Yes it creates a lot of turn around but you're bound to find the right guy. 

11 hours ago, chknwing said:

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Darnold had no protection, no play makers.  He made bad decisions because he was under pressure literally the entire game every game.  If I was picking my ass off the turf after every down my confidence level in my team mates would dwindle too.,

The Jets defense and oline make the Panthers look like all pros...and that’s says a lot. And I do not like Darnold.

I think he’ll be a great back up just like TB.

8 hours ago, hepcat said:

Totally disagree. Bridgewater was the opposite of gambling, he was a safe bet. The team knew what they were getting with him, and he delivered the expected results. 

I agree, Teddy was a case of overpaying for something just to be sure they had something.  It was like walking up to one of those carnival games with $2,000.  But instead of playing $2,000 worth of games and risking walking away with nothing, we bought the teddy bear from the guy for $2,000.  They knew what they were getting and it sure as heck was never going to be worth $2,000...but it was "better than nothing."

My takeaways

Pros

Athletic

Solid arm

Pocket awareness 

Tough

Cons

Happy feet

Decision making

Footwork / Mechanics

Conclusion

Hell of upside for Sam. Rhule and Brady are going to have to fix his decision making. I am very excited and interested to see if he can improve. The talent and natural ability is there. 

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, WOW!! said:

Carr was 28 when he came here and was in the beat down factory for 5 years..

Sam Darnold is 5 years younger and hasn't spent nearly that much time getting destroyed.  

Destroyed either way you look at it (mentally or physically)so I see the same results incoming, Panthers looking for a QB next year, the year after that, and so on until we get our own hand pick QB.

1 minute ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

Destroyed either way you look at it (mentally or physically)so I see the same results incoming, Panthers looking for a QB next year, the year after that, and so on until we get our own hand pick QB.

Okay cool no context to your opinion.. a 50 year old body is the same as a 25 year old body in your world..

8 hours ago, hepcat said:

I don't disagree that Darnold was in a sh*t situation on the Jets. But you have to call a spade a spade - Darnold straight up sucked on the Jets. I don't expect him to magically become a good QB just because he's on on the Jets anymore. If he does, I'll gladly eat crow. 

He was not "sh**" his first season.  He did turn into a bad decision maker by year 3.  Gase had something to do with that.  Ask Tannehill.  Nobody knows where Sam goes from here, but with good coaching and support, he may reach his potential.  He was a different player the last part of his rookie year.  I encourage you to watch a few of those games.  Vs Texans, Bills, Packers.  There was tremendous optimism before bug eyes showed up

• Pie 3

13 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

What exactly makes Teddy a good backup? If you give him incredibly good weapons and an elite defense he can win you a game by going 13-19 for 56 yards

That's what makes home a good backup. He's not going to go out there and lose the game. He can hold the fort down, but he's not going to lead the cavalry. He's a great backup for a team that has an entrenched starter.

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, Agent Blue said:

My takeaways

Pros

Athletic

Solid arm

Pocket awareness 

Tough

Cons

Happy feet

Decision making

Footwork / Mechanics

Conclusion

Hell of upside for Sam. Rhule and Brady are going to have to fix his decision making. I am very excited and interested to see if he can improve. The talent and natural ability is there. 

I 100% agree with you on all of this