• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers give Teddy permission to seek a trade

Zod

8 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I think the renegotiation is to keep him at a reasonable rate if he can't find another team  That sets the price. I wonder if new Orleans is interested now that Teddy knows our whole system. Not sure we should be ushering him out so quickly. We could use a cheap vet to mentor these guys. Just not 22 million for a timid starter.

While Teddy might end up being cut this June, I believe there is a good case for keeping him 1 more year as a backup.  Then trade/cut him after the 2021 season.  What would be the cap hit for 2022 if Teddy were cut next year, 5 mil?

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 2

6 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

While Teddy might end up being cut this June, I believe there is a good case for keeping him 1 more year as a backup.  Then trade/cut him after the 2021 season.  What would be the cap hit for 2022 if Teddy were cut next year, 5 mil?

That would be my fall back position. Because unless you can trade him and only be on the hook for signing bonuses and guaranteed money, you end up eating a ton of dead cap if you cut him.

• Pie 1

Yeah I think Teddy will end up with the Saints again after we cut him. When Teddy is on a loaded team with brilliant coaches he can come off the bench and really do well. I think he'll wrap up his career as a top quality backup.

Speaking up backup quality QBs, Darnold should be facing the same situation soon enough as well.

Edited by pantherj

9 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Yeah I think Teddy will end up with the Saints again after we cut him. When Teddy is on a loaded team with brilliant coaches he can come off the bench and really do well. I think he'll wrap up his career as a top quality backup.

Speaking up backup quality QBs, Darnold should be facing the same situation soon enough as well.

Yeah, apparently we are a big payday for every future journeyman backup QB now.

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, apparently we are a big payday for every future journeyman backup QB now.

What's happening is that Rhule has supreme confidence in his OC and his system. I think he thinks that his system can make a journeyman into a SB winner. That didn't work with Teddy, but I think the reasoning inside the organization was that Teddy was going rogue and doing his own thing at times (passes nowhere near the first down marker, holding the ball out at the goal line, ect).

The new narrative is that Darnold will listen and do as he's told, and then our amazing offensive system will turn him into Joe Montana.  

Edited by pantherj

1 hour ago, pantherj said:

What's happening is that Rhule has supreme confidence in his OC and his system. I think he thinks that his system can make a journeyman into a SB winner. That didn't work with Teddy, but I think the reasoning inside the organization was that Teddy was going rogue and doing his own thing at times (passes nowhere near the first down marker, holding the ball out at the goal line, ect).

The new narrative is that Darnold will listen and do as he's told, and then our amazing offensive system will turn him into Joe Montana.  

I think it's the opposite. Bridgewater was too conservative with the ball - he wasn't taking the shots that were there.

That was clearly frustrating Brady and Rhule. It's also not what the system is about - you have to take those shot plays when they present themselves.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I think it's the opposite. Bridgewater was too conservative with the ball - he wasn't taking the shots that were there.

That was clearly frustrating Brady and Rhule. It's also not what the system is about - you have to take those shot plays when they present themselves.

He clearly didn't run the system properly.

Edited by pantherj