• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeremiah's latest mock

Mr. Scot

12 hours ago, Martin said:

What’s your hesitation about Slater at LT? I’m not good at judging o-line, so I have to lean on “draft experts”. Curious what’s holding you back?

great list btw

THanks Martin.  I think Slater could be the next Panther, but I just fell in love with Sewell from day 1.  Slater might be a great guard, good LT.  Not much difference, but Sewell has been consistently dominant since stepping onto a field.

Maybe I was sold on Sewell early on, but in 2019, he was all-American.  Slater was honorable mention--in his conference.  Sewell was a 5-star prospect in HS, Slater was a 3-star.

Now they are suddenly equals?   Some even have Slater rated higher.  When I watch the film, I see the similarities more than the differences.  And I prefer Big 10 OL over the West Coast teams.  Yet I still see Sewell as being a generational talent--does that mean he has more upside than Slater--I don't think he does.  I am a bit torn, but Slater has not demonstrated that he is a generational talent like I think Sewell has--that is why I could not put Slater on the same platform with Pitts and Sewell.

Edited by MHS831
  • Flames 1

23 hours ago, GOAT said:

We're getting Slater or Sewell no doubt in my mind.

Well, we might trade back--but if we stay put--yup.  I still see the possibility of a #1 CB, and so much depends on their blind faith in Erving-if that is what they got him for.

Edited by MHS831

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Well, we might trade back--but if we stay put--yup.  I still see the possibility of a #1 CB, and so much depends on their blind faith in Erving-if that is what they got him for.

LT is vastly more important a position than CB. 

If Sewell or Slater are there, they will be the pick assuming no QBs are remaining. 

16 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Yeah not as high on Slater personally and there is good OL depth in this draft

I’m not as high on Slater either but I feel like if we pass on him he’s getting picked quickly and if we drop too far down we are going to get no elite TE, no elite LT, no good LT, no elite QB, etc. At some point even if it’s above slot value you got to take your pick at one of the top players in the draft. I think 8 is the perfect spot to be in. 

• Pie 2

On 4/6/2021 at 5:16 PM, Khyber53 said:

At this point, either would be good but I think Slater is probably the better choice for us right out of the box. Sewell has massive potential but he needs more coaching and experience. Slater started as a freshman and has effectively played left and right sides.

Honestly, I think with Sewell you work up to getting Taylor Moton type work from him. Slater may work up to Jordan Gross level. We'd be sitting pretty if that is the case.

If somehow Pitts falls and he's still there at 8, I'm still thinking we take a hard look at snagging a game-changer TE. Then again, who knows who may fall to #8... it's not as far down the list as we sometimes think. Darnold could be the bridge guy and we take a QB.

Things sure got a lot harder to predict yesterday.

But isn't Slater a maybe LT and more of a definite OG? He doesn't really have the build of a true LT does he? Sewell is definitely an LT if that's what we want. 

On 4/7/2021 at 9:34 AM, MHS831 said:

Erving might be good at LG to help advise/coach our rookie LT (assuming we draft one).

On 4/7/2021 at 3:31 PM, Varking said:

I’m not as high on Slater either but I feel like if we pass on him he’s getting picked quickly and if we drop too far down we are going to get no elite TE, no elite LT, no good LT, no elite QB, etc. At some point even if it’s above slot value you got to take your pick at one of the top players in the draft. I think 8 is the perfect spot to be in. 

Ding.  Ding.  Ding.  We have a winner.  
Don’t over think this, take Sewell or Slater at 8 and solve our LT problem for the next 10 years.  

• Flames 1

11 hours ago, Panthers Rhule said:

But isn't Slater a maybe LT and more of a definite OG? He doesn't really have the build of a true LT does he? Sewell is definitely an LT if that's what we want. 

From what I am seeing, the only knock against him are his arms might be an inch or two shorter than you'd typically want in a tackle. Everything else works out, particularly his mobility, vision and ability to work on an island if necessary. He's capable against all types of rushes and is strong in the run game, devastating when he can get to the second level.

Sewell beats him on pure power, but Slater stands out as more polished and experienced.

As to playing Guard, he is more than capable of having a fistfight in a phone booth for a whole game, but he ability as a tackle (and he has played both sides of the line) is top notch.

Or so they say.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Im not Slater guy either, but one of biggest issues for rookie OL is they need full season of NFL strength program. Slater is about the only one who doesnt need that, idk about Sewell even with his good pro-day. He had the best 3 cone too, that is one of the best tools for OL success. 

On 4/8/2021 at 8:57 PM, TheProcess said:

Here is some comparisons of Slater/Sewell to the 4 top tackles of the 2020 draft.

Screenshot_20210408-205549_Discord.jpg

Derrick Brown looks the part and all, but Id rather gone with Beston, Wirfs, or Wills.......LOL at Daves pick being the current worst one form the group. Glad hes gone too.