• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm A Jets Fan Who's Hated Every QB We've Had Since Namath; Ask Me Anything

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Fair enough 😄

I'm curious what your opinion of Robert Saleh is vs the other choices (if I recall correctly, there were many).

Also wondering if you had an opinion of Matt Rhule given that he was almost the Jets coach a while back.

If my posts haven't given it away, I'm a believer in the players being significantly more important than coaching.  Draft well, including of course at QB, and your team will succeed.  Draft poorly, and your team will fail.  I'm not holding any candles for Adam Gase - it was his time, and the team was a disaster these past two years.  But, our roster has/had so few actual NFL players, that there was no chance he was going to succeed.

As for Saleh, I like that he's well respected in league circles.  I like that he's someone Douglas didn't know, so he must have impressed with reputation, body of work, and vision.  And, I like that it was widely reported (much like Douglas) that he was our top choice, and we got him.  I'm used to getting our 3rd choice of coaches.  But, ultimately, I believe his success is on Joe Douglas's drafts, and frankly, likely on who Wilson becomes.

As for Rhule, that hiring cycle was an absolute disaster.  We fired the HC and kept the GM, something we did in the opposite not long before (Fired Tannenbaum/Kept Rex), and it was a total disaster.  And then, we tried to force a staff on him, and Rhule, smartly said no thanks.  I would have been happy to have him, but I am grateful to Gase for ridding us of Maccagnan.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, The Goddamn Jets said:

If my posts haven't given it away, I'm a believer in the players being significantly more important than coaching.  Draft well, including of course at QB, and your team will succeed.  Draft poorly, and your team will fail.  I'm not holding any candles for Adam Gase - it was his time, and the team was a disaster these past two years.  But, our roster has/had so few actual NFL players, that there was no chance he was going to succeed.

As for Saleh, I like that he's well respected in league circles.  I like that he's someone Douglas didn't know, so he must have impressed with reputation, body of work, and vision.  And, I like that it was widely reported (much like Douglas) that he was our top choice, and we got him.  I'm used to getting our 3rd choice of coaches.  But, ultimately, I believe his success is on Joe Douglas's drafts, and frankly, likely on who Wilson becomes.

As for Rhule, that hiring cycle was an absolute disaster.  We fired the HC and kept the GM, something we did in the opposite not long before (Fired Tannenbaum/Kept Rex), and it was a total disaster.  And then, we tried to force a staff on him, and Rhule, smartly said no thanks.  I would have been happy to have him, but I am grateful to Gase for ridding us of Maccagnan.

As I recall, Woody Johnson kept Rex Ryan despite poor results because he loved his bravado.

(I remember shaking my head when I read that)

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, The Goddamn Jets said:

Always thought Rex was the "cool guy" that Woody Johnson got to hang out with him.

Yep. Lousy way to pick a head coach though.

I had a former brother-in-law who was a very fun person to be around. As far as trust though, I wouldn't put him in charge of a lemonade stand, much less anything more important.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, The Goddamn Jets said:

Seppuku.

Winston.  If I'm taking a guy who's terrible, I might as well take the one who throws TD passes from time to time.

Fun fact as to why the Jets have been so bad.  It was widely rumored that, when they had a QB stable of Josh McCown, Bryce Petty, and Christian Hackenberg, they drafted Jamal Adams because out of Trubisky, Watson, and Mahomes, the ONLY QB the GM thought was worth a high pick, was Trubisky.

Ooof. I feel your pain on that one.

I agree, though. I would take Darnold last in that group at the moment and would take Winston over Trubisky.

I think all three are fairly standard gunslinger that lean towards the "WTF" end of the decision making spectrum. At least Winston and Trubisky have some games where they are just clicking and torching people. Darnold doesn't really seem to have that. I think it's unfair to completely lay that on Gase and/or the Jets. Some of that is Darnold too.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Ooof. I feel your pain on that one.

I agree, though. I would take Darnold last in that group at the moment and would take Winston over Trubisky.

I think all three are fairly standard gunslinger that lean towards the "WTF" end of the decision making spectrum. At least Winston and Trubisky have some games where they are just clicking and torching people. Darnold doesn't really seem to have that. I think it's unfair to completely lay that on Gase and/or the Jets. Some of that is Darnold too.

I think one of the big problems with Darnold, as I stated before re: a Favre comp, is that he's good a good enough by NFL standards arm, but not good enough by gunslinger standards arm.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, The Goddamn Jets said:

Depends on what you mean by fixed.

Statistically he's been the worst QB in the NFL over the past three seasons, and when controlling for throws that were not under pressure, he's second worst only to Trubisky.

So, I certainly don't believe he's fixable to the expectation of the #3 overall pick, and the hype that surrounded him.

He may be fixable to your investment, but I don't think Darnold will ever be a QB where you, as a fanbase, feel settled at the position.  There are just too many issues.  The decision making, the reading of defenses, the downfield accuracy, bailing on the pocket too soon, footwork, throwing off his back foot, etc.

Greenberg loves Jets QBs.  He loved Pennington, and he loved Sanchez.  He's more fan than analyst.  And, so he's essentially of the "It's all Gase's fault" mindset.

As for the trade down, I think this is a different argument.  I'm not sold on the Morman Backstreet Boy, so, I could have been compelled to trade down.  I get the argument that you keep Darnold for another year, and continue to build the team.  Sources said we would not have picked up his option.  But, I wouldn't have been opposed to doing both.  Trade out of 2 AND trade Darnold.  Bring in an Alex Smith type player, and address QB next year.  That having been said, I'd prefer Wilson only because I've been burned by the "wait till next year" when we drafted Adams over Watson/Mahommes, because Darnold and Rosen will be available next year.

This will always be looked at as Darnold vs. Wilson, but I don't think that's right.  The only way the Jets made a mistake is if Darnold becomes a top 10 QB, and I just don't see that.  There's a good chance Wilson sucks, but Wilson sucking is an independent scouting issue than realizing you're not winning with Darnold.

What I think is going to happen next year is this - Joe Brady is going to scheme his everloving ass off for Darnold each and every game, and Darnold is going to look like a million bucks in the process of this.  He will have a career year, and possibly lead the Panthers to the playoffs. 

Then, Brady is going to get snatched away for a Head Coach position, and invariably, Darnold is going to fall back to his normal state of being the year after that - and everybody is going to be looking at each other like WTF happened.

Well, Joe Brady happened.  We've seen it before with Hot Shot, young, "genius" OC's.  See Sean McVay and Kyle Shannahan. They schemed mediocre, young QBs to career years, and then when they left, these QBs poo the bed. 

I think Darnold has a real shot here - but I am always going to be wondering (at least this year), is the a Darnold thing, or is it a Brady thing?  Maybe a combination of both?

49 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

If you were making a documentary on the great Joe Namath time as a qb, would you want it narrated by James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman. 

It already exists and its narrated by Namath himself.  Check it out - its one of the best sports documentaries ive ever seen.  Just called "Namath" on HBO.