• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm A Jets Fan Who's Hated Every QB We've Had Since Namath; Ask Me Anything

Do you think that Darnold can be fixed? Point blank! Do you think there's a legit chance? 

Greeny thinks that Darnold is going to do well here. Why do you think that he's so sure? IMO, Judy Batistta was sounding like she wasn't so sure that the Jets made the right decision to skip the haul the team would've gotten by staying put as opposed to presumably drafting Zach Wilson, and she isn't the only one. I've heard other Jets fans say that Darnold is going to do better than Wilson in the short term, and maybe even the long term. What do you think of all of this?

8 hours ago, The Goddamn Jets said:

And, you have to figure out how to get rid of the YOLO balls, and that's sort of his panic reaction.

Going from a QB who checks the ball down for 3 yards whenever he panicked to a few YOLO balls us going to be a welcomed sight around here.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Bottom line is no one knows. The next 2 years will make or break Darnold and either set this coaching staff up for major success or put them behind the 8 ball moving on to their 3rd QB in a short amount of time. They didnt mortgage the future, but this will be a waste of time and resources if it doesn't work out and put a bad taste in everyone's mouth. 

9 hours ago, The Goddamn Jets said:

Plus, no one over 16 drinks rum anyway, right?

Welcome to the Huddle.   8 O'clock Shots from the Carolina Coast.

Venture a little further south ( out of THE CITY, or wonderful LI  )..  ( Caribbean )  ,,  Rum Rules the day..  And much is done so in shots. Not Boat Drinks  LOL.  

Thanks for stopping by the Huddle. We look forward to seeing Darnold and hopefully better coaching will set him free 

32 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

Rhule emphasizes the teaching aspect. He sees himself and his staff as teachers first. We've all watched tons of video on Darnold - enough to see the rough aspects and the promise. If there is zero improvement, that would be cause for concern about our staff. 

I don't think they see Darnold as a franchise guy, necessarily. They may see the potential for that and think they can coach him up enough for him to fulfill that potential. But no, while no improvement would cause me concern, I won't hang my complete evaluation of them on Darnold's progress. 

At any given time, there's like 15 people on earth that can do this well.  That's why I say that I wouldn't blame your coaching staff for something USC coaches failed to do in his Junior Year, and two Jets regimes failed to do as well.

30 minutes ago, The Goddamn Jets said:

I wouldn't let Darnold's performance effect your evaluation of your coaching staff too much, at least in the negative.

The architect of the Super Bowl winning defense was fired here after Darnold's rookie year, and thrown under the bus for him.  Bowles, probably had to go anyway, but Darnold's lackluster rookie year was the nail in the coffin.  Ultimately, he's been bad for 3 years, and was really not very good in his Junior Year at USC, but lived off of hype from his Sophomore year, and specifically, that Rose Bowl game.

If he improves, then that's something to certainly feel good about.  If he doesn't, my questions would be more for your front office, and why they thought they could?  Was it all because, blame the Jets?  Still, your investment was not all that much, at least in the trade.  I wouldn't be happy about the 18M cap number in 22, but I don't know your cap at all, and I suspect it's not a deterrent or you wouldn't have done this.

Its because the amount of ego in our front office and coaching staff. They like the idea of turning sh*t players into something decent. Its not a winning strategy but might help some of them advance their careers. Very ego driven. 

29 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Do you think that Darnold can be fixed? Point blank! Do you think there's a legit chance? 

Greeny thinks that Darnold is going to do well here. Why do you think that he's so sure? IMO, Judy Batistta was sounding like she wasn't so sure that the Jets made the right decision to skip the haul the team would've gotten by staying put as opposed to presumably drafting Zach Wilson, and she isn't the only one. I've heard other Jets fans say that Darnold is going to do better than Wilson in the short term, and maybe even the long term. What do you think of all of this?

Depends on what you mean by fixed.

Statistically he's been the worst QB in the NFL over the past three seasons, and when controlling for throws that were not under pressure, he's second worst only to Trubisky.

So, I certainly don't believe he's fixable to the expectation of the #3 overall pick, and the hype that surrounded him.

He may be fixable to your investment, but I don't think Darnold will ever be a QB where you, as a fanbase, feel settled at the position.  There are just too many issues.  The decision making, the reading of defenses, the downfield accuracy, bailing on the pocket too soon, footwork, throwing off his back foot, etc.

Greenberg loves Jets QBs.  He loved Pennington, and he loved Sanchez.  He's more fan than analyst.  And, so he's essentially of the "It's all Gase's fault" mindset.

As for the trade down, I think this is a different argument.  I'm not sold on the Morman Backstreet Boy, so, I could have been compelled to trade down.  I get the argument that you keep Darnold for another year, and continue to build the team.  Sources said we would not have picked up his option.  But, I wouldn't have been opposed to doing both.  Trade out of 2 AND trade Darnold.  Bring in an Alex Smith type player, and address QB next year.  That having been said, I'd prefer Wilson only because I've been burned by the "wait till next year" when we drafted Adams over Watson/Mahommes, because Darnold and Rosen will be available next year.

This will always be looked at as Darnold vs. Wilson, but I don't think that's right.  The only way the Jets made a mistake is if Darnold becomes a top 10 QB, and I just don't see that.  There's a good chance Wilson sucks, but Wilson sucking is an independent scouting issue than realizing you're not winning with Darnold.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, NYPantherFan said:

Going from a QB who checks the ball down for 3 yards whenever he panicked to a few YOLO balls us going to be a welcomed sight around here.

Haha - I get that, truly.  But, trust me it gets tiring.

Sam always reminded me of Favre, without Favre's huge arm.  And, I always felt that Favre without a cannon that compensates for bad decisions, is a UPS driver.

14 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Its because the amount of ego in our front office and coaching staff. They like the idea of turning sh*t players into something decent. Its not a winning strategy but might help some of them advance their careers. Very ego driven. 

A lot of coaches seem to think this - but yes, I'd guess it's a factor.