• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm A Jets Fan Who's Hated Every QB We've Had Since Namath; Ask Me Anything

5 minutes ago, FattyFatFat said:

He definitely has a very punchable face. But I agree you have to take that chance. The kid can sling it a mile and has that escapability when the pocket breaks down. If we could’ve just found a way to lose to the WFT I’d be very excited about him coming to Carolina. But, the panthers are gonna panther...

Best of luck to your boys !

I'm disappointed I have to root against you guys for the sake of my newly minted 2nd round pick, but here we are...  That, and I have to root against Darnold because being right on the internet is the most important thing in life.

26 minutes ago, The Goddamn Jets said:

Alright, I guess it's time for that JetFan vs. The Goddamn Jets fight that was posited...

Darnold did have those problems his rookie year.  Pre-Gase, he was the 30+ in DVOA and DYAR and threw for under 200 yards in over half of his games.  So, overall, it was a very bad year by a QB.

You're speaking specifically to the end of the year.  But, Jets fans like to pretend the post-injury end of the year was 2 games, not 4.  He had a great game against Green Bay (terrible defense that year), and a good game against Houston.  But, in the other two of them, he threw for 170 yards and 167 yards and a combined 1 TD and 1 INT.

So, here's what actually happened.  He had a bad rookie season.  But, because he had a great game, and a good game at the end of it, people assumed this was a representation of improvement and a sign of things to come.  A cocktail of recency bias, wishful thinking, and small sample sizes.  They ignored the two duds (50%) he put up post injury as well.  Then, the evil Adam Gase came along, and when Darnold didn't maintain his Houston and Green Bay performances, but rather, performed as he did most of his rookie season, they blamed Gase, rather than accepting the two performances as the anomalies they've proven to be.

As for Tannenhill - He was much better under Gase than Darnold was under Gase.  He is, simply, a better player.

As for Brees - He played very well in his fourth year in the league, but it was his 3rd year actually playing, and only 27 prior starts.  Sam Darnold has played 3 years, was a disaster in year 3, and had a similar 26 prior starts leading into the year.

So, after 26/27 starts, Brees went 11-4, throwing for 3100 yards, 65% completion, and 27 TDs to 7 INTs while Sam went 2-10 throwing for 2200 yards, 59% completion, and 9 TDs to 11 INTs, and is PFF's worst QB in the NFL and 2nd worst when removing throws under pressure.

Brees was 26 year old player. 4 years in the league.  Please

And I am not throwing  out or ignoring any games.  Never suggested that.   Sam did have his bad games, as any rookie should. Thats Just the territory. But, he did show great promise against good and great defenses down the stretch of that year.   And the the next season, won most of his games. So with the combination of Gase and a disastrous roster, there is no way he has had a fair shake or evaluation.  He will get that this upcoming season

2 minutes ago, JetFan said:

Brees was 26 year old player. 4 years in the league.  Please

And I am not throwing  out or ignoring any games.  Never suggested that.   Sam did have his bad games, as any rookie should. Thats Just the territory. But, he did show great promise against good and great defenses down the stretch of that year.   And the the next season, won most of his games. So with the combination of Gase and a disastrous roster, there is no way he has had a fair shake or evaluation.  He will get that this upcoming season

The next season, he played against 5 of the bottom 6 defenses in the league, with the 2nd easiest schedule in the league.  His performances were a nightmare, and he graded out as a bottom 3 QB, despite the wins and the cupcake defenses.

And, re: Brees, starts are more important than age or years.  By starts, Brees was killing it, while Darnold was working towards 2-14 and grading out worse than then Taysom Hill and Jalen Hurts and others.

1 minute ago, The Goddamn Jets said:

The next season, he played against 5 of the bottom 6 defenses in the league, with the 2nd easiest schedule in the league.  His performances were a nightmare, and he graded out as a bottom 3 QB, despite the wins and the cupcake defenses.

And, re: Brees, starts are more important than age or years.  By starts, Brees was killing it, while Darnold was working towards 2-14 and grading out worse than then Taysom Hill and Jalen Hurts and others.

Starts are more important?  I at least hope you realize that is not a factual statement.  

1 hour ago, joemac said:

What I think is going to happen next year is this - Joe Brady is going to scheme his everloving ass off for Darnold each and every game, and Darnold is going to look like a million bucks in the process of this.  He will have a career year, and possibly lead the Panthers to the playoffs. 

Then, Brady is going to get snatched away for a Head Coach position, and invariably, Darnold is going to fall back to his normal state of being the year after that - and everybody is going to be looking at each other like WTF happened.

Well, Joe Brady happened.  We've seen it before with Hot Shot, young, "genius" OC's.  See Sean McVay and Kyle Shannahan. They schemed mediocre, young QBs to career years, and then when they left, these QBs poo the bed. 

I think Darnold has a real shot here - but I am always going to be wondering (at least this year), is the a Darnold thing, or is it a Brady thing?  Maybe a combination of both?

Oh, you've seen the Chud/Cam story.